Playing God in Yellowstone: The Destruction of America's First National Park

Playing God in Yellowstone: The Destruction of America's First National Park

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Chase asserts that Yellowstone is being destroyed by the very people assigned to protect it: the National Park Service. Named as one of “ten books that mattered” in the 1980s by Outside magazine and a book of continuing crucial relevance. Index; map.
Published December 17th 1987 by Mariner Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Playing God in Yellowstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing God in Yellowstone

Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonA Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Lorax by Dr. SeussDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Best Environmental Books
88th out of 503 books — 563 voters
Why Nations Fail by Daron AcemoğluCrony Capitalism in America by Hunter LewisFree Prices Now! by Hunter LewisPoor Economics by Abhijit V. BanerjeeUnequal Democracy by Larry M. Bartels
Econs For Change
10th out of 24 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Ariana
This book makes me not want to work for the Parks Service (a real possibility) and yet I very much wonder how much bias is there. The author's tone is relentlessly resentful of what he sees as an overblown bureaucracy. While some of the decisions the NPS made in Yellowstone are truly horrific, i.e. the actual extermination of wolves, mountain lions, and (indirectly) beavers from the Park, it begs the question of whether the small good done by having a park is outweighed by the evils of how it is...more
Pam
Whenever we set aside an area as a National Park, we have already changed it. We can never preserve an ecosystem in its pristine condition because it does not exist in isolation from the (privately owned) lands around it. Let us also keep in mind that the Native Americans managed and transformed these lands for centuries before we got there.

We decided to preserve the "cute" species while nearly eliminating the "mean" species. We placed management of these parks into the hands of cops (rangers) r...more
Betsy Dion
Well, this book only got partially read, because I had to return it to the library. I think I read the first 9 chapters. It was pretty good, and showed how easy it is for "science" to get hijacked to serve other interests, like political and environmentally popular objectives. It was kind of dense and repetitive, though. I may try to finish it at some point in the future, but I think I got the general point of the book.
Kurt
I love Yellowstone. My parents took my family there numerous times while I grew up in Idaho, and I still go there as often as I am allowed. So, it was fun reading about my favorite natural place in this book. Unfortunately, it seems that many of the ideas presented in this book don't seem to be supported by science or observation. But fun reading nevertheless.
Rick
Aug 16, 2007 Rick rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science teachers
More of a history book than a nature book, though I learned a lot about Native American forest-burns, elk-hunting, the relevance of trash to grizzlies, the importance of beavers and the historical ineptitude of the Park Service. The writing is mostly anecdotal and somewhat repetitive, so the last half of the book was quick read.
Melissa
Fantastic book written by a left-learning environmentalist who discovered when man thinks they're protecting the environment they're actually harming it and some things should be left to...nature. The book can be hard to read at times, but for the most part eye-opening. And a wonderful guide too to Yellowstone!
John Rivera
Very interesting book on a topic that probably recieves far too little attention. Excellent citations are abundant in this work for anyone interested in doing a critical analysis of the US Park Service. This book could use some updates though, the information is a little old and possibily out of date.
Ron Christiansen
Radically shaped my view of wildlife management and the place of "man" in nature. It's been more than a decade since i read it but I still use several examples (what happened after humans started shipping the garbage out of Yellowstone) almost every semester I teach.
Christen
I didn't quite have a chance to finish this book yet, but I really enjoyed what I read so far. A very interesting subject. I don't have the time to finish it now, but would like to in the near future.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I'm sure this is long outdated, but I remember it was once a very important assessment.
Kris
Great history book, a little one sided but a GREAT read. I highly recommend it.
B
One of my 10 best reads of all time. Absolutely amazing.
Steve
This book will make you angry with the Park Service.
Ivan Mutaftchiev
Ivan Mutaftchiev marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jenny Odau
Jenny Odau marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Manda Gibbs
Manda Gibbs marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Alissa D
Alissa D marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Cg
Cg marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Harvard and the Unabomber: The Education of an American Terrorist A Mind for Murder: The Education of the Unabomber and the Origins of Modern Terrorism In a Dark Wood: The Fight Over Forests & the Myths of Nature We Give Our Hearts to Dogs to Tear: Intimations of Their Immortality We Give Our Hearts to Dogs to Tear: Intimations of Their Immortality