The Bedford Reader

The Bedford Reader

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
One of the most widely adopted composition readers of all time, The Bedford Reader continues to engage and inspire students with remarkable selections, outstanding instructional material, and a unique "Writers on Writing" feature in which 50 of the book’s writers comment on their process and their work. Thorough coverage of critical reading, effective writing, and working
Paperback, Ninth Edition, 784 pages
Published May 1st 2005 by Bedford Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Bedford Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bedford Reader

Martin
good, if dated, overview and guide to the art of essay-writing. full of a nice variety of voices, along with extremely valuable insights and fundamentals. highly recommended to anyone who wants to write clearly - especially orwell's essay "politics and the english language" which is one of the finest essays about writing every written.

(if i think it's so damn good, how come only 3 stars? because even though it's a great textbook, it's a little dense for general reading, and i would hate for some...more
Robin
I don't know why they made us buy this book. We read very little out of it (maybe 6 short essays), and the school wouldn't take it back at the end of the semester, so I was stuck with it. But I enjoy reading so I'm sure I'll go back and read more of it later just for fun and exposure to new authors. I enjoyed what little I did read. This was a good anthology for class.
Virag
I love reading books about reading, especially if it's a 700-page (boring!) monster assigned to be read during summer, I repeat, SUMMER BREAK.
Some of the essays were interesting; most I found to be dull. Also, most of the chapters were filled with phrases that tried to be intelligent and helpful but were in fact so mind-bogglingly stupid that I felt like gagging.

Alea Teeters
Skipping all the commentary, this is a great collection of works and comments about writing from the authors.
This anthology turned me onto a lot of great, great authors: among them, Dave Barry, Anna Quindlen, Annie Dillard, Brent Staples, Edward Said. XJ Kennedy, in addition to having my reverse initials, you have great taste in literature. (Though I've read some of your poems ... not so great at the poetry, XJ.)
Ann
Not the edition I read in high school (among new pieces is one by Sarah Vowell, for example), but an amazing text for a high school writing class. Also joy to read at any age, I think... I hope they still have "Football Red, Baseball Green" in there.
{♥} Amanda {♥}
I didn't read the whole thing, just the excerpts that were assigned; however, I did enjoy each of the sections I did read, and I found that they were easy to focus on. Usually text books are incredibly long and dull (at least to me.)
Jason
A very solid reader that takes the time to go over rhetorical points and strategies. The downside is that this results in fewer essays and stories, but it works great for an intro composition class.
Sally
Good book if your composition pedagogy is traditional. It gives you the basis essay formats and has some good reading. Not too thought-provoking though.
Annamarie
At times a pain to read, but there were some very interesting essays inside.
Constance
reading it for a class I'm teaching...
Michael
Tomiwa
Tomiwa added it
Aug 20, 2014
Alvin Soto soto
Alvin Soto soto marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Blythe
Blythe added it
Jul 25, 2014
Marc Cadwell
Marc Cadwell marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Neko
Neko marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Tea
Tea added it
May 10, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry An Introduction to Poetry The Owlstone Crown Talking Like the Rain: A Read-to-Me Book of Poems Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, Ninth Edition