Start by marking “The Bedford Reader” as Want to Read:
The Bedford Reader

The Bedford Reader

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
One of the most widely adopted composition readers of all time, The Bedford Reader continues to engage and inspire students with remarkable selections, outstanding instructional material, and a unique "Writers on Writing" feature in which 50 of the book’s writers comment on their process and their work. Thorough coverage of critical reading, effective writing, and working
Paperback, Ninth Edition, 784 pages
Published January 18th 2008 by Bedford Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Bedford Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bedford Reader

Martin
good, if dated, overview and guide to the art of essay-writing. full of a nice variety of voices, along with extremely valuable insights and fundamentals. highly recommended to anyone who wants to write clearly - especially orwell's essay "politics and the english language" which is one of the finest essays about writing every written.

(if i think it's so damn good, how come only 3 stars? because even though it's a great textbook, it's a little dense for general reading, and i would hate for some
Robin
I don't know why they made us buy this book. We read very little out of it (maybe 6 short essays), and the school wouldn't take it back at the end of the semester, so I was stuck with it. But I enjoy reading so I'm sure I'll go back and read more of it later just for fun and exposure to new authors. I enjoyed what little I did read. This was a good anthology for class.
Virag
I love reading books about reading, especially if it's a 700-page (boring!) monster assigned to be read during summer, I repeat, SUMMER BREAK.
Some of the essays were interesting; most I found to be dull. Also, most of the chapters were filled with phrases that tried to be intelligent and helpful but were in fact so mind-bogglingly stupid that I felt like gagging.

Alea Teeters
Skipping all the commentary, this is a great collection of works and comments about writing from the authors.
This anthology turned me onto a lot of great, great authors: among them, Dave Barry, Anna Quindlen, Annie Dillard, Brent Staples, Edward Said. XJ Kennedy, in addition to having my reverse initials, you have great taste in literature. (Though I've read some of your poems ... not so great at the poetry, XJ.)
Ann
Not the edition I read in high school (among new pieces is one by Sarah Vowell, for example), but an amazing text for a high school writing class. Also joy to read at any age, I think... I hope they still have "Football Red, Baseball Green" in there.
{♥} Amanda {♥}
I didn't read the whole thing, just the excerpts that were assigned; however, I did enjoy each of the sections I did read, and I found that they were easy to focus on. Usually text books are incredibly long and dull (at least to me.)
Jason
A very solid reader that takes the time to go over rhetorical points and strategies. The downside is that this results in fewer essays and stories, but it works great for an intro composition class.
Sally
Good book if your composition pedagogy is traditional. It gives you the basis essay formats and has some good reading. Not too thought-provoking though.
Annamarie
At times a pain to read, but there were some very interesting essays inside.
Constance
reading it for a class I'm teaching...
Michael
High school!
Keach
Keach added it
Dec 22, 2014
Peyton
Peyton marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Fatima
Fatima is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Cy Garcia
Cy Garcia marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
T
T added it
Nov 24, 2014
Ahtziri Salmeron
Ahtziri Salmeron marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Shahera Khandaker
Shahera Khandaker marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • Current Issues and Enduring Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking and Argument, with Readings
  • Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum
  • Wheelock's Latin
  • Getting Things Done
  • Oxford Book of Essays

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry An Introduction to Poetry The Owlstone Crown Talking Like the Rain: A Read-to-Me Book of Poems Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, Ninth Edition