Start by marking “The Bedford Reader” as Want to Read:
The Bedford Reader

The Bedford Reader

One of the most widely adopted composition readers of all time, The Bedford Reader continues to engage and inspire students with remarkable selections, outstanding instructional material, and a unique "Writers on Writing" feature in which 50 of the book’s writers comment on their process and their work. Thorough coverage of critical reading, effective writing, and working
Paperback, Ninth Edition, 784 pages
Published January 18th 2008 by Bedford Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Bedford Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bedford Reader

Martin Bihl
good, if dated, overview and guide to the art of essay-writing. full of a nice variety of voices, along with extremely valuable insights and fundamentals. highly recommended to anyone who wants to write clearly - especially orwell's essay "politics and the english language" which is one of the finest essays about writing every written.

(if i think it's so damn good, how come only 3 stars? because even though it's a great textbook, it's a little dense for general reading, and i would hate for some
Apr 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This anthology turned me onto a lot of great, great authors: among them, Dave Barry, Anna Quindlen, Annie Dillard, Brent Staples, Edward Said. XJ Kennedy, in addition to having my reverse initials, you have great taste in literature. (Though I've read some of your poems ... not so great at the poetry, XJ.)
Robin
Oct 11, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why they made us buy this book. We read very little out of it (maybe 6 short essays), and the school wouldn't take it back at the end of the semester, so I was stuck with it. But I enjoy reading so I'm sure I'll go back and read more of it later just for fun and exposure to new authors. I enjoyed what little I did read. This was a good anthology for class.
Nancy
Jan 07, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of greats - short stories, essays, etc. with acknowledgments by Maya Angelou, Russell Baker, Wm. Buckley, Alistair Cooke, and on and on. Authors included are James Harriot, Maya Angelou, Roger Rosenblatt, Mark Twain, and many more NAMES. Good reading.
Ann
Oct 23, 2007 Ann rated it it was amazing
Not the edition I read in high school (among new pieces is one by Sarah Vowell, for example), but an amazing text for a high school writing class. Also joy to read at any age, I think... I hope they still have "Football Red, Baseball Green" in there.
Kim
Jun 20, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am using this in my College Writing class and it has a nice breakdown of different elements of writing and different styles, along with articles that can be used as jumping-off points for related writing assignments and reflections. Over all, a good resource for the classroom.
{♥} Amanda {♥}
May 10, 2013 {♥} Amanda {♥} rated it really liked it
I didn't read the whole thing, just the excerpts that were assigned; however, I did enjoy each of the sections I did read, and I found that they were easy to focus on. Usually text books are incredibly long and dull (at least to me.)
J.I.
Dec 17, 2012 J.I. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, read-2014
A very solid reader that takes the time to go over rhetorical points and strategies. The downside is that this results in fewer essays and stories, but it works great for an intro composition class.
Sally
Feb 12, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
Good book if your composition pedagogy is traditional. It gives you the basis essay formats and has some good reading. Not too thought-provoking though.
Alea Teeters
Jun 01, 2014 Alea Teeters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skipping all the commentary, this is a great collection of works and comments about writing from the authors.
Jon Stevens
Jon Stevens rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Drnadeem
Drnadeem rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Ashlee Chaidez
Ashlee Chaidez rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Tim Todd
Tim Todd rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013
El Rey
El Rey rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Marieta Shaw
Marieta Shaw rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Andrey
Andrey rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Andie
Andie rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2010
Michael
Apr 04, 2007 Michael rated it liked it
High school!
Gianna Rossi
Gianna Rossi rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Maryann Pasda DiEdwardo
Maryann Pasda DiEdwardo rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Jake Troy
Jake Troy rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2009
Kaitiy
Kaitiy rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Vikramadithya
Vikramadithya rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2016
Daniel Nunez
Daniel Nunez rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Jessica Lee
Jessica Lee rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Sumayyah
Sumayyah rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2013
Brianna
Brianna rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Kaitlin Barwick
Kaitlin Barwick rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2010
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • The Compact Reader: Short Essays by Method and Theme
  • Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum
  • A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers
  • Current Issues and Enduring Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking and Argument, with Readings
  • The American Tradition in Literature
  • Harbrace College Handbook
  • Signs of Life in the U.S.A.: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Rereading America: Cultural Contexts for Critical Thinking and Writing
  • The Art of Thinking: A Guide to Critical and Creative Thinking
  • Technical Editing (5th Edition) (The Allyn & Bacon Seriesin Technical Communication)
  • The St. Martin's Guide to Writing
  • Giovanni and Lusanna: Love and Marriage in Renaissance Florence
  • Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »