Start by marking “The Fluent Reader” as Want to Read:
The Fluent Reader

The Fluent Reader

A powerful new book to teach reading in a lively, interactive way. It opens with a clear research-based rationale for teaching oral reading, word recognition, fluency, and comprehension. From there, Rasinski provides the strategies themselves - read aloud, repeated reading, performance reading, and many more.

The strategies are fun, easy to implement, and -- most important

Published June 1st 2003 by Teaching Resources

To ask other readers questions about The Fluent Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fluent Reader

Alicia
Jul 12, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
Not only does this book provide plenty of strategies for improving word recognition, fluency, and comprehension through oral reading, it does a nice job of explaining why oral reading should be done. Rasinski begins the book by presenting a theoretical and historical look at oral reading so the reader can understand how it benefits students and why it should be included in the classroom every day. Though the strategies presented in this book are geared toward K-3 classrooms, Rasinski also discus ...more
Nika
Apr 15, 2011 Nika rated it it was amazing
I am a big Timothy Rasinski fan! He has the heart of a teacher. I have used so many of his instructional strategies, even before implementing those from The Fluent Reader. I have seen significant gains in reading comprehension and oral reading skills since incorporating his suggestions for an oral reading program. Today, my 6th grade students are reading excerpt from Robin Hood, written in Old English, completes with thee, thous, dost, and couldst. Their voice inflection shows that they are gett ...more
Anna
Mar 21, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for any reading teacher. It has practical strategies that really work. I am now using "paired reading" with a student who has been struggling with fluency all of his life, and he is making great progress. I just wish I had read this book earlier.
Lisa
Jan 04, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
What a great author!! I went to a reading conference and heard him speak; he is so inspiring! He makes me want to buy all of his books because they are full of fun strategies to teach kids to read!
M
Dec 23, 2010 M rated it liked it
This book has good reasons for why a student may not be a fluent reader and many ideas for how to fix that.
Kerry
Nov 30, 2008 Kerry is currently reading it
Helpful to anyone attempting to teach students to read more fluently (or in a graduate reading program).
Robbyn Glinsmann
Feb 02, 2010 Robbyn Glinsmann rated it really liked it
I'm a dork and rereading this book because I am going to hear him speak in a few weeks.
Kim
Oct 02, 2008 Kim added it
This book is has great ideas to increase the fluency of your students.
Susan Kennedy
May 31, 2010 Susan Kennedy rated it really liked it
Listen to Timothy rasinski's podcast from IRA about Fluency Lessons
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Raquel
Raquel rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
C. Derick
C. Derick is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Frances Gonzalez-Garcia
Frances Gonzalez-Garcia rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Erika Gentry
Erika Gentry is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
B
B added it
Aug 02, 2016
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Jeni
Jeni rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Sosha
Sosha is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Liz Parmelee
Liz Parmelee rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Kellie Stamm
Kellie Stamm marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Heni Fitriani
Heni Fitriani marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cathy
Cathy added it
May 18, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (and They're All Hard Parts)
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Craft Lessons
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • Because Digital Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Online and Multimedia Environments
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers