Start by marking “On a Beam of Light” as Want to Read:
On a Beam of Light

On a Beam of Light (K-Pax #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Five years to the day, almost to the second, after he disappeared form the Manhattan Psychiatric Institute, leaving his host body in a catatonic state, the being known as prot (rhymes with goat) has returned. Now, in sixteen more sessions with psychiatrist Gene Brewer, prot reveals that he has come back to escort a chosen few to his home planet, K-PAX.

K-PAX is an idyllic p
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2001)

Cecily
The sequel to K Pax (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...).

It concentrates more on the doctor's idea that prot is the alter-ego of Robert, and trying to uncover the traumas that made Robert retreat (partly with hypnosis), but otherwise it doesn't add much to the story; reads like padding for the middle section of the first book.

The balance of the first book is gone; although prot's extraordinary powers are noted and unexplained, the presumption is very much that prot is an alter ego of Rob
Simon Vandereecken
“Recycling is like putting a Band-Aid on a tumor, doc. And where are you going to plant a tree when there’s no place left to plant it?”

Un deuxième volume dévoré d'une traite (dommage qu'il n'ait jamais été traduit d'ailleurs), tout aussi palpitant que le premier (ce qui est rare et à signaler donc), qui nous ramène Prot alors que Robert était plongé dans un état catatonique complet. Les séances défilent tandis que les mystères de la vie de Robert se délient, et que l'intrigue K-Pax s'approfondit
David
On a Beam of Light (K-PAX #2) by Gene Brewer (St. Martin's Paperbacks 2001)(Fiction - Science Fiction) is the second installment in the K-PAX series. Prot returns to his body at the hospital after a five year absence. This story just keeps getting better! My rating: 8.5/10, finished 2010.
Andy Smith
Weeell... what was I expecting? You can't top a work as fine as K-Pax. Brewer tried his best, but didn't quite make it.

In an effort to rekindle the magic of the first novel, Brewer is forced to rely on a growing cast of eccentric secondary characters, Dr Brewer's relationship with Rob, prot's schizophrenic alter-ego (or is it the other way round?), and a pair of sad gimmicks, Paul and Harry. prot himself is reduced to proselytism, answering fan-mail and TV show appearances, before simply (accord
Katherine Jones
Eve
A brilliant second book in what so far is one of my most favourite series. Makes me wonder though. Why can we only see the problems of our world when they are pointed out from the perspective of an outsider? Perhaps because it is so effective, clear-cut and objective. I love books that make me think. This one has certainly achieved that.
Steve
Sequel to K-Pax also by Gene Brewer[return][return]It s been years since Prot was last at the Manhattan Psychiatric Institute, years in which Robert Porter was rigid and unresponsive to any outside stimuli. But now Prot is back, and Dr Brewer has only a short time to try and cure Robert, before Prot leaves again.[return][return]In many ways I enjoyed this book more than the first. Much of the magic of Prot is lost, as the author digs deeper into Robert Porter s psyche, and we meet his other pers ...more
Carol
When prot left, he said he's be back in five years. It is now five years later and prot returns MPI. Few of the same patients remain although all the current patients seem to know him. While prot spends some time with various patients (more often than not helping them 'heal' themselves), he and Robert are being slowly pieced together through therapy and hypnotism. Are they one and the same person? Will prot return to K-Pax or is earth his real home?

I was so pleased to find this book and reading
rivka
Oct 10, 2008 rivka rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wanted to know what happened after K-PAX
The first book, K-PAX, was clearly satire and poked at various aspects of the world today. But it was gentle satire, and a riveting story aside from its satirical points.

This book tries to continue the story of Robert Porter, but it gets so bogged down in ramming its satirical -- and no longer remotely gentle -- points home that it loses sight of both plot and characters. We get it: the author is a militant atheist and vegan.

I gave it two stars instead of one because the continued story of Robe
Cathrine Bonham
prot returns in this sequel to K-Pax. I liked this book in that it gave much better closure to Prot's human host Rob Porter. It was sad leaving him as a catatonic at the end of K-pax.

The novel retains the ambiguity about whether Prot is actually an alien visitor or rather just one of Rob's multiple personalities, speaking of which, we meet more in this book.

Life does not help maters any. The library shelves it in the science fiction section. But I first heard of K-pax from a list of the best fi
Neil Letham
This was a great book. Made me reflect a lot on the stupidity of humans.
Moni Ruiz
If you are studying psychology, you totally have to read this book. It's amazing, and it leaves you wondering if prot is really and alien.
Nenia Campbell
ON A BEAM OF LIGHT starts where K-PAX left off — in the Manhattan Psychiatric Ward. Robert has been catatonic for these last five years. Suddenly, he wakes! Prot is back, the rascally old scamp, and he continues his adventures around the ward with the sole goal (or so it seems) of helping out the other patients. The book is still narrated by Gene Brewer, but all of the patients are new. This time, there's a gay man who is convinced that he's a woman — and pregnant; a woman who halted her develop ...more
Deborah
The sequel to "K-Pax".
I haven't read the first book (just saw the movie which I love) although my husband has, and said the movie followed the book closely.
This took up where that left off, with Prot and Robert.
Not as intriguing, but still a fun easy read.
Shanna
From what I remember of this story, it still flirts with the idea that Prot is a fantasy, I began to feel bored by this one and figured I'd stop with this one so as to not ruin the start of a nice fanciful possibility of an alien visiting a man on Earth.
Szilvia
Right after the first book, I had to start immediately with the second of this trilogy! We learn a lot more about Robert, his childhood, but I have to say that prot is still the best part :)
Allison C. McCulloch
i know I read this book and waited forever for it. And I know that despite promises that the third one was going to be released in America, I looked for it and never found it. RIP K-PAX Series.
Stijn De Meyere
A nice follow-up on the first K-Pax book. This isn't the greatest literature around, but I like the story and the characters, and I find some of the concepts intriguing.
Molly
Touching, funny, and rather ridiculous. It's definitely worth the read if you like K-PAX (and as a K-PAX fan I enjoyed it), but don't expect a masterpiece.
Simon
Wish Brewer had left it after the first book. Tempting to want to find out what happened next but it was better as a single novel.
Chad Gibbons
This follow-up to K-PAX is actually better than the original. If you like prot, you owe it to yourself to read this.
Becca Becca
Was not nearly as good as the first book. Lots of plot holes. Quick read, though, for those that loved the first book.
Joanne
Not quite as good as the first one. more of the same really. still want to read the next one though :)
Mike Philbin
you might not like the story BUT FOR THE PLANETARY MESSAGE everybody has to read these books
Inez
Idę po latarkę i lusterko, jakby mnie długo nie było, to znaczy że podróżuję:)
Dale
Excellent blend of sci fi and psychology. Just a great series so far.
Justin Cole

The big question of K-PAX was better left unanswered.
Ray
I couldn't wait to get to the end. I couldn't put it down.
Chris
The sequel to K-PAX is not as good as the original.
Teena
Just fabulous! A feel-good summer read....
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Japoński wachlarz
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: A Screenplay
  • The Life of Super-Earths: How the Hunt for Alien Worlds and Artificial Cells Will Revolutionize Life on Our Planet
  • The Ordinary
  • Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)
  • Shaun Of The Dead
  • Life Probe
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • The Semplica-Girl Diaries (short story)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
  • The Words to Say It
  • The Love of My (Other) Life
  • Le livre du voyage
  • Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendant (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #2)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Child of Fortune
  • Nightflyers
Gene R. Brewer was born and raised in Muncie, Indiana and educated at DePauw University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Before becoming a novelist Dr. Brewer studied DNA replication and cell division at several major research institutions, including St. Jude Children's REsearch Hospital (Memphis) and Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland). He is the author of the acclaimed K-PAX tril ...more
More about Gene Brewer...

K-Pax (6 books)
  • K-Pax (K-Pax, #1)
  • K-Pax III: The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax #3)
  • K-PAX The Trilogy (K-PAX, #1-3)
  • K-Pax IV: A New Visitor from the Constellation Lyra
  • K-PAX V: The Coming of the Bullocks
K-PAX The Trilogy (K-PAX, #1-3) K-Pax (K-Pax, #1) K-Pax III: The Worlds of Prot (K-Pax #3) K-Pax IV: A New Visitor from the Constellation Lyra K-Pax Omnibus: Omnibus Featuring Prot's Report