Start by marking “The Meanwhile Adventures” as Want to Read:
The Meanwhile Adventures

The Meanwhile Adventures (Rover Adventures Trilogy)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Mr Mack's inventing career has got off to a bad start - he's been arrested! It's up to Jimmy, Robbie, Kayla and Rover the wonder-og to: - Rescue Mr Mack from prison - Avoid the orphan catchers - Save the world from an army of stroppy slugs Will they succeed There's only one way to find out.
Published (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Meanwhile Adventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meanwhile Adventures

Brad
The Mack books have had mixed success with me, and this is my least favourite for one big reason -- a total lack of charm.

The first book, The Giggler Treatment, was packed full of charm. Little Gigglers, pissed off that adults would be mean to children, drop burning poo bombs at the feet of the mean adults. So Rover, the genius dog of the Macks, capitalizes on the Treatment and becomes rich. It's funny, silly, and full of geniune giggles for kids and their parents. Like I said, "Charming."

Rover
Florrie
The plot in the book the meanwhile adventures is how billyjean, the mother of robby and jimmy, tries to break the record of the first women to run around the world without telling anyone. then there is her husband, mister mack, he is an inventor and he invents a saw looking like a machine gun. he got sent to jail. then it is all up to there kids Robby and jimmy, to find there mother and save there father. they get help from rover a dog. then they run all around the world to find billyjean and sh ...more
Christy
I haven't read this for a while, but I remember that I always enjoyed reading this when I wanted a random, nonsensical laugh. I seem to remember being given this book as a gift when I was younger, and I wasn't even aware that there were others with the same/similar characters. I really liked it because it it absolutely absurd. Talking cream crackers. Slugs with crash helmets arguing over whether or not they should take over the world. Two little girls who only communicate by saying, "Batteries n ...more
Ursula Clancy
Really funny great for all ages because adults can read it to children and still have great fun reading. One of my favourites from the Rover Collection. Its a quick read and very entertaining. A very talented writer...and dog
Lizzy Peat
I get a little irritated when the author is interrupted, and there is no flow through, so this book is not for me. i like a few of the ideas, I would probably loved it if I was 6. extremely random.
Hannah Alice
It is a bit of a weird book. But I still loved it
Sofia
was one of my favorite books around 3rd grade
Scorch
An all-time favorite! It's VERY funny
Barrette Plett
Hilarious and Quirky
Leonie
I read this to my 6 year old over the course of about a week. She seemed to enjoy it - she laughed out loud often enough. I didn't find it the easiest book to read aloud. The dialogue was a bit difficult, and the little interjections between the narrator and some other third person were hard to follow. I found it really irritating that the little girls could only say one thing. So, the two star rating is from me, but my daughter will no doubt be asking me to read it to her again. Maybe I will hi ...more
Aidan
I thought this book was brilliant!!! I especially liked the part where the used a dress as a parachute to jump off the plane wheel. I also really liked the part where the leader slug got the other slugs to do a vote to take over the world.
The book is really funny and was a very good read.
Nick
This was really funny and I think the author really tried to make it fun, as well. It made me laugh, and the writing is just so descriptive and cool. The story talks about the mother, who is trying to break a world record, by running around the world (which, unrealistically, takes here not too long) and the dad who is falsely accused of carrying a machine gun, and the kids who try to get their dad out of jail. An action-packed, glorious tale of misadventures and magical nonsense.
Jeana
I love this series--which starts with the Giggler treatment. I just finished re-reading them to Portia and they are just so silly. Both my girls loved them. This one isn't as good as the first (in fact, it started getting a little annoying, especially the chapter we dubbed the "much-too-long chapter", but it's nice to revisit the characters again and go through another adventure with that silly Irish family.
Cj23
I like this book because of the same reason of it's prequel and it's funny that billy jean is going to be the first woman to ever run around the world without telling anyone.
Alaina Sloo
Sequel to Doyle's wonderful The Giggler Treatment. Not as downright funny as the first book, but kids grade 2-4 who liked The Giggler Treatment, will enjoy it.
Regina
I like it, but The Giggler Treatment was much better. This one didn't have nearly as many truly funny moments and seemed forced and confusing at times.
Em
naww i love this book.. i wish i still had it. my parents gave it to me for one easter and i just recently sold it.
Anna
Actually, i don't really rember this book too muck, but it was funny. The first was better, though.
Maggie
Not just for kids! This was a great family read aloud. Roddy Doyle rocks.
Jascha
So funny!!!:D I really like this book^^
Rhiannon
Hilarious kids book.
Isobel Watson Clark
It is really funny and silly!
Ruby
Ruby added it
Dec 22, 2014
Sofie
Sofie added it
Nov 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Horrible Harry at Halloween
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes
  • The Order of the Stick: War and XPs (The Order of the Stick, #3)
  • Die Welt ist nicht immer Freitag
  • [Citation Needed]: The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Books 1-5 + DIY + Movie Diary
  • From E to You
  • Eirelan
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • My Immortal
  • The kiss (Pocket Penguin 70s #60)
  • Waiting for Lefty
  • Reading Turgenev
  • The Scrambled States of America
  • The Chrysanthemums
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming
More about Roddy Doyle...
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha The Commitments The Woman Who Walked Into Doors A Star Called Henry The Snapper (The Barrytown Trilogy, #2)