Start by marking “The Dastard (Xanth, #24)” as Want to Read:
The Dastard (Xanth, #24)

The Dastard (Xanth #24)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,844 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Becka was a crossbreed - the daughter of Draco Dragon and a lovely human woman who met, by chance, at a Love Spring. Now fourteen, Becka was beginning to wonder where in Xanth she belonged - on the ground with her mother's people or flying the skies with her father's kind. So she journeyed to the Good Magician Humfrey to discover her True Purpose in life. Much to her aston ...more
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Dastard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dastard

Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
by Piers Anthony, published in 2000.

I can’t believe the Xanth series is now over 30 years old and that I have been reading it since the beginning. Well, if Fauns, Nymphs, puns a plenty and the sight of panties freaking men out is your cup of tea, hop on the Xanth train and party.

“The Dastard” is book 24 in the Xanth series which has well over 30 novels now and counting, and is everything you have come to expect if you have been reading along like I have. There is usually a quest to be performed
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a much better book than the previous few. It still had Ptero and it's stupid comic strips and geography, but thankfully not a lot of it.
I really liked the Dastard. He was a unique character whom unfortunately we likely won't see again.
The story was average for the series. More unnecessary adult themes that I still say aren't needed.
Don LaFountaine
Book 24 of the Xanth series is a fun book and a quick read that fans of the series will enjoy.

The book starts out with two events that are a large part of the story. The first is that Draco Dragon was on spying a delicious female morsel to eat, and both of them end up drinking from a love spring, the result of which was Becka. The second event is that a demon makes a trade with a human man named Anomy - the talent to be able to erase events for his soul. The result of this is The Dastard, who go
Leeanna
Nov 01, 2009 Leeanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Xanth #24: The Dastard, by Piers Anthony

While most people in Xanth have a magic talent, many of the talents are minor - the "spot on the wall" variety. Usually only Magicians and Sorceress' have powerful talents, such as being able to transform any living creature into something else.

Anomy has a useless magic talent - the talent of stupid ideas. Frustrated by this, he sells his soul to a demon for a much more powerful talent - the ability to rewrite history. With his new talent and soulless sel
George Deoso
This is the very first full-length novel I ever finished, and I think I made no mistake for choosing this book to be the one.

When I was 1st year in high school we were asked to pick a book (any book) and do apply the usual summary/characters/settings/moral lesson shit our teachers love to burden us with. Prior to this, I have no interest in reading whatsoever, so this seems to be a task.

I picked this book up from a garage sale near our house for twenty pesos. Not bad for a near-pristine conditio
Kristen Darienzo
"Nothing is predetermined."

Another chance love spring encounter, another crazy crossbreed species that I have to just really not think about too hard because it makes my head hurt. We've got Becka DragonGirl (how? I mean, literally, how?) that is such a cool concept if, once again, you don't think too hard about it. She wants to know her place in the world (don't we all) and, apparently, that place right now is with The Dastard, a once ordinary man who sold his sold to a demon for a stronger mag
Kirsti
Jun 06, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book originally, I admit I was pretty confused. I hadn't at that time read the book about Ida's moons, so the whole concept of the switching of characters didn't really make much sense to me then, but I just went with it. Now though, reading through again I have more of an idea and can appreciate the concept.

I love the layers to Xanth, it is definitely an onion of a series. Just when you think you have it figured, something else crops up and changes everything. Awesome book, fiv
Nathan Johnson
Jan 11, 2013 Nathan Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read many Xanth books as a preteen/teen. I loved them then.
Lately I have been going back and reading the whole series. On the whole I realize now that Piers Anthony is not the great writer I remember, but he is perfectly suited for young adult fiction.

This was actually the first book in some time that I really enjoyed. Certainly some aspects I do get tired of (comic strips are just a way to wedge in more reader suggested puns), but the plot of this particular book was quite fun to read.

No matt
B-original
Jul 10, 2009 B-original rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this author, I have been reading the Xanth series as I can find them, totally going out of order but it really doesnt seem to matter with this series, I love the Puns, they are so funny and give me a laugh whenever I come across one I wouldnt have thought of. I was glad that the Dastard did indeed become dashing in this book and hope he and the princess are very happy together!!!
Doris
Jul 22, 2010 Doris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I am just becoming bored with the entire series (I have read them all, starting with A Spell for Chameleon). At any rate, this seemed to me to be a repeat of an ongoing line, with very little variation. It did serve to remind me why I stopped eagerly looking forward to the next XANTH book around the time Ogre, Ogre came out.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While this book did have a few redeeming qualities, due to a lack of editorial contribution I would not recommend.

My Rating System:
Teresa
Jul 24, 2010 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Xanth turned into the "same old, same old" long ago; apparently the author is just going through the alphabet. There were a few books I enjoyed earlier in the series, but after Dragon on a Pedestal, they just got old.
Brianne
While it is a lovely Xanth novel. I just wasn't feeling it. It kicked up a but more towards the end. But I want to hear more about characters I know about. Which at the moment aren't plenty. Too many new characters being introduced in a row for these last few books.
Theresa
The Dastard is a man character who is a Dastard. :0 He wants to marry a princess and does wind up meeting one that can't seem to stand him. You'll have to read the book for more. He is a real piece of work in the book.
Joanna Hyde
I thought Piers Anthony had stopped writing Xanth novels and only recently managed to purchase this next book in the series. I am hooked again and enjoying reading these new old books that I missed. Xanth is the place I hide when I need a break from reality.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 21, 2009 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to know where they fit in the world and what role they play. Sometimes you need an adventure to figure it out.
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult 10-15
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. Ooh, the Dastard is a really bad boy, and the quest to bring him down has a wonderful ending.
Dana
Sep 25, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good one
Izlinda
Nov 17, 2008 Izlinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The puns were a bit on overload in this book, and the sexual tension and teases weren't as amusing as they were in previous books.
Crystal
Jan 23, 2013 Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: piers-anthony
Forgot this book. Made me cry. Sooo sad. Despite the non-bad ending- kinda mediocre- this book made me feel sad. :(
Natalie
Dec 10, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Back on form, I was getting a tad bored of Xanth, but this one restored my Xanthlove!
Debra Meyer
not sure why but seem to have a lot of trouble reading this one, had put it down for awhile due to life getting in the way and finally picked it back up recently and finished it off.
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Candace Marie
Candace Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Lady Ozma
Lady Ozma rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Shalene
Shalene rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Cindy Cunningham
Cindy Cunningham rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2011
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Amber and Iron (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #2)
  • The Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent (Dragon Knight, #9)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)