Start by marking “Sinning Like a Christian: A New Look at the Seven Deadly Sins” as Want to Read:
Sinning Like a Christian: A New Look at the Seven Deadly Sins

Sinning Like a Christian: A New Look at the Seven Deadly Sins

The seven deadly sins are a well-known topic, but, surprisingly, not much has been written about them in recent years from a serious theological viewpoint. Dr. Willimon feels that a new book on this topic would be timely and of great interest to Christians. He takes an unflinching look at the meaning and substance of sin.
Study questions by Dr. Willimon are included. The "
Paperback
Published October 11th 2005 by Abingdon Press (first published August 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sinning Like a Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinning Like a Christian

Kate Davis
A poor thinker whose writing is emotion- and sacrasm-driven.

Take, for example, his chapter on pride. In a span of pages, his "argument" is as follows:
- Our culture loves pride (by which he really means gratification, which Ecclesiastes, for one, encourages): management guru states employees should have "pride in their products"
- Extreme examples of pride (the sin, this time): Nazis and a serial killer. No joke.
- Snark: "Yet really now, is Pride so serious as to be considered a sin?"
- A legitimat
Tim
Jun 27, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
Willimon's book on the seven deadly sins is an odd thing. Jokey in tone at times, it also quotes relentlessly from church history. There are wonderful thoughts and quotations here, but the overall tone and organization is really uneven at the chapter level and even from paragraph to paragraph. It is serious about greed, but less so about gluttony. The chapter on lust turns more generally to sin by the end (it is a careful and thoughtful discussion). So, a good read, but far from comprehensive or ...more
Colin
Apr 25, 2013 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Such a thought provoking book full of stories, quotes and insight into the SEVEN deadly sins. I continue to be stirred to think and consider my life in the light of this book. Not full of Bible (the seven deadly sins are never listed as such in the Bible), but worthy of deeper thought as many of these sins are at the root of many others. Very stimulating book, and I am just starting reading Willimon.
Karen
Apr 12, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is a provocative book, isn't it? If you are interested in this subject, I highly recommend it. I found the chapters on envy, sloth, and wrath to be rather disturbing. The author is very good in those chapters of bringing these spiritual sins to their natural conclusions, in ways that I had not really thought about before. He is also very good at presenting why these vices are so detrimental to our relationship with God. I like books that make me think and this one does that.
Carla
Aug 02, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
I used this book as a study with a Wednesday night group. Some found it difficult to read, but overall it was very provocative. It certainly cause me to stop and consider the thing I forgive myself for because "it's only human."
David Ryan
Jan 23, 2013 David Ryan rated it liked it
this was helpful in preparing for my sermon series on seven deadly sins for lent.
Curtis Lillie
Willimon always has compelling ideas and great one-liners, but I could barely tell what his point was in each chapter. He meandered through each chapter without structure or an apparent thesis.
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
I read this book for my church group. It lead to some interesting discussion, but I honestly don't remember much about it now.
Rob Lipovsky
Jun 30, 2015 Rob Lipovsky rated it it was amazing
If you know nothing about the 7 deadly sins as I was (raised Baptist), you will find this book informative and spiritually enlightening.
Kevin Slemp
Kevin Slemp rated it it was ok
May 01, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Michelle Dancy
Michelle Dancy rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Wade
Wade rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Drew Bennett
Drew Bennett rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2017
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2009
Nancy Hill
Nancy Hill rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2007
Jonathan Storment
Jonathan Storment rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Rev.dulce
Rev.dulce rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2009
Erik Bonkovsky
Erik Bonkovsky rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
stephen fife
stephen fife rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Becci Curtis
Becci Curtis rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Stephen A. Rhodes
Stephen A. Rhodes rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
William Henry Willimon is a bishop in the United Methodist Church who currently serves in North Alabama. One of America's best known preachers, he formerly served as Dean of the Chapel at Duke University and taught at Duke Divinity School.
More about William H. Willimon...

“What we don’t need is central economic planning or new laws, more taxes or fewer good-paying jobs. What we need is something much more difficult to get than a Porsche—character. We need the sort of character that is able to look at the world and all it has to offer and at certain key moments say simply, “Thank you, but I’m now satisfied.” It takes a huge amount of moral stamina to be able to say, “Yes, we could afford it, but we are not going to buy it, because it does little to contribute to the basic goodness of our lives.” We need to switch our economic thinking from the supply side to the desire side of the equation.” 0 likes