Start by marking “Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))” as Want to Read:
Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))

Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))

A storm, a shipwreck,

an ongoing ocean,

then finally, finally

a deserted isle. . . .

Safety -- but wait!

The fifteen swimmers

braving the waves

are, after all . . . kitties.

They are not into

saga of sogginess,

a feline fantasy

about drying off (ele

Published June 6th 2006 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books

Sarah Sammis
Aug 10, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Castaway Cats is a counting and rhyming book in the vein of Click, Clack, Splish, Splash by Doreen Cronin. It counts up to 15 and back down from 15 while telling the story of a boatload of castaway cats trying to survive on an island in the middle of the South Pacific.

The book opens on a scene similar to one which gets Mrs. Moore washed up by the lighthouse in The Lighthouse, the Cat and the Sea by Leigh W. Rutledge except with happier results. A mixture of breeds wash ashore, including a number
Chelsea Gail Smith
Feb 07, 2013 Chelsea Gail Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud-book
Castaway Cats by Lisa Wheeler and illustrated by Ponder Goembel is the story that I chose would be perfect for a read aloud story. One thing I really enjoyed about this book was that there were fifteen cats in the story and each cat was different. When reading aloud it is fun to use different voices to act as the different cats in the story. The story is about 15 cats being shipwrecked and landing on a deserted island. They work together and said things like, "let me help you," and "you're so th ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Nov 06, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it it was amazing
All i could think of when i saw the Siamese cats swimming on the cover like 'Lotke and Phelps'
(no way)and tiny little kittens desperately clinging to a life preserver, was "this person must hate cats?"
15 cats are washed ashore,near the land of Singapore.
The rhymes dont end, each has a verse,but heck what were they doing,sailing a hearse?
They drank cocoanut milk and fished with poles, ,where they got those no one knows.
Cats looked for rescue from the tops of palms, and fought for survival with m
Sandie
Nov 07, 2011 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I thought this book was adorable and my daughter also enjoyed all the different cats. I was kind of reminded of Lynley Dodd with the rhyming style in which the was written which always seems to make the stories flow so much better and makes them fun to read out loud!

The story is about 15 cats that were caught in a storm and washed up on an island. As the days go by they have to learn to work together in order to survive and there is much figting and fur flying before they finally are able to coo
Susan
Aug 23, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
I came across this title while discharging the bookdrop. It's adorable! The story is about 15 cats that are washed ashore on a deserted island following a shipwreck. They have to figure out how to work together to get rescued and in the process realize they have all become such good friends, they are really like family and don't want to be apart once they are rescued. I won't spoil the ending for you! The illustrations are very cute.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about shipwrecked cats who must find a way to work together. The narrative is lyrical and rhyming and the illustrations are very nicely detailed. We loved looking at all of the different cats and I enjoyed reading this book aloud.
I think the underlying message about the importance of cooperation is something our politicians need to learn! Overall, it's a entertaining story and we enjoyed reading this book together.
Whitney Strickland
Apr 11, 2011 Whitney Strickland rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Castaway Cats is a book that will take your students on a journey, and right into a math lesson. This story makes counting fun and adds humor to the story by adding 15 cats into the sea. The children at my placement loved this story and I definitely plan on using it for future lessons. It is great to be able to introduce a new concept with a piece of quality children's literature.
Karin
Feb 28, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful book by Lisa Wheeler. The poetry is lovely, the story great. It's about 15 cats who get washed up on an island and try to get off it. While doing this they learn to work together and also that they care about each other! Nice morals and values ( helping, caring, loving) but not in a preachy way.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, islands
A unique, rhyming story about fifteen cats that get shipwrecked. The sleep, they eat, they fight, they play. They figure out how to work together.

Great illustrations!
Lindsay
Sep 22, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
Cooperation is the name of the game in this rhyming adventure full of shipwrecked cats. I think this could be sun to Over in the Meadow.
Greta
Jun 28, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Very Clever!
Trish
Sep 18, 2016 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: je, 2016
This is book is about 15 cats who get shipwrecked on an island.
Patricia Kaniasty
Apr 30, 2016 Patricia Kaniasty rated it it was amazing
Story was enchanting. Rhyming was wonderful. Pictures were beautiful.
Valerie
Mar 17, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing
What's not to love? Fun story and wonderful pictures and perfect cat caricatures! Laughed a lot!
Andrew
Mar 08, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Nice teamwork book.
Kelsey Yates
Nov 18, 2010 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Fun story, well done illustrations
Amy
Nov 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
love the outcome of the this cat's tale..
Katie Sicking
Sep 17, 2013 Katie Sicking rated it really liked it
This was a funny book about a bunch of cats who get shipwrecked on an island. I think kids would enjoy it.
Liz Rapp
Jan 09, 2017 Liz Rapp rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Great story about learning to work together.
Bec
Bec rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Sabina
Sabina rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Kathy Ellen Davis
Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2011
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2010
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2015
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Alicia Lhotka
Alicia Lhotka rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Kristi
Kristi rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017