Tom Swift and His Aerial Warship, or, the Naval Terror of the Seas (Tom Swift Sr, #18)

Tom Swift and His Aerial Warship, or, the Naval Terror of the Seas (Tom Swift #18)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
American boys' fiction under pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who produced Tom Swift series, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys, Dave Fearless and many others.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1915)

Benjamin
I think I have a pretty high tolerance for racism and sexism and other forms of jerkiness in literary form; sure, The Planter's Northern Bride is incredibly racist, but it's an interesting historical document (see review); sure, Lovecraft is racist, but there's other stuff going on in his stories, so you can recognize the racism and like them despite it.

By contrast, Tom Swift and His Aerial Warship is just an awful book, where the black helper shucks and jives and the romantic interest is a big...more
James W.  Harris
My father didn't have a lot of books and didn't read books very often. But he had several old boys adventure books from his childhood in the 1920s, including Tom Swift, the Radio Boys, and more. The Tom Swift books particularly fascinated me. I read them over and over again, and for a while I believed that Tom Swift was an actual person who had invented all of these things -- aerial warships, electric rifles, portable movie cameras, and on and on. (I was VERY young.) They are fun books to read e...more
Bennett
This is the first Tom Swift book I have read. It is the kind of book I would have enjoyed as a boy. There are definetly some dated stereotypes that some may find objectionable, but I think they offer an interesting window on attitudes and views prevelant in the early 1900's. I enjoyed the inventive nature of Tom's character and his resourcefullness in solving problems technical and other wise that saved him and his "chums" from trouble.
Rex Libris
In this installment, Our Hero Tom creates an aerial gun platform. A group of foreign spies tries to get the gun ship and do harm to Tom. They even get as far as hijacking the ship. However, a convenient lightening strike disables the cabal of spies and our hero et al overcome them and save the day.
Marts  (Thinker)
With the likes of a military zepplin, inventions, explosions, foreign agents and spies, etc, etc, what more do you want for a classic adventure tale...

Dehibberdwrites
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
Daniel Hanna
These are addicting, in that you know they're bad for you, there's no nutrition in them, but they go down so easy!
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Jul 02, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
David Sam
David Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Vici
Vici added it
May 21, 2014
Ed Rumbaugh
Ed Rumbaugh marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Reigh
Reigh marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Mar 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company.[8] Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for children's science adventure.[9] The Syndicate's authors created the Tom Swift books by first preparing an outline with all the plot elements, followed by drafting and editing the detailed manuscri...more
More about Victor Appleton...
Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3) Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4) Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1) Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2) Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)