Start by marking “The New Southern Garden Cookbook: Enjoying the Best from Homegrown Gardens, Farmers' Markets, Roadside Stands, & CSA Farm Boxes” as Want to Read:

In The New Southern Garden Cookbook, Sheri Castle aims to make "what's in season" the answer to "what's for dinner?" This timely cookbook, with dishes for omnivores and vegetarians alike, celebrates and promotes delicious, healthful homemade meals centered on the diverse array of seasonal fruits and vegetables grown in the South, and in most of the rest of the nation as we ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by University of North Carolina Press (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The New Southern Garden Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Southern Garden Cookbook

Danielle
Jun 10, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook! It's organized by fruit/vegetable, so finding a recipe you want is really easy. The recipes are delicious, and a good mix of quick and easy to a little more complicated. Most of them don't call for too many ingredients or anything very unusual. She's also great about telling you about substitutions you can make to a recipe, and when you must follow the recipe exactly.

I also love the tone of the book; it's very conversational, but doesn't take away from the focus of the cook
May
Oct 31, 2011 May rated it really liked it
I can't rate this book until I've tried the recipes, but they look very promising. I also appreciate the author acknowledging that not everyone eats every type of food and making suggestions of what's appropriate to leave out or substitute (specifically because many "Southern" recipes rely on pork or pork products for flavoring, which I don't use).
The cookbook is organized by vegetable, and would have been good to have at the beginning of the CSA season because it is geared specifically toward t
mneal
Jan 09, 2016 mneal rated it it was amazing
A fresh and inspiring use of everyday foods. Enjoyed the history and humor behind the recipe. Thoughtfully and very tastefully compiled recipes featuring photographs to entice even the most rooted southern cook.
Cindy Sink
Feb 02, 2013 Cindy Sink rated it it was amazing
This is my go-to cookbook. I am a CSA produce box junkie and Sheri has a recipe for everything that comes in my box. She blends good ole-fashioned Southern goodness with a healthy Mediterranean flair. Every recipe comes with a clever bit of history and Sheri's helpful hints.
Amy Leigh
Oct 17, 2013 Amy Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I am cooking my way through this book. So far every recipe has turned out as good or better than expected. Having grown up largely in the South, I appreciate Sheri's references to people, seasons, and location.
Her recipe for apple butter may replace my grandfathers.
Janie Bowe
Janie Bowe rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2011
Fiddlin' Holley
Fiddlin' Holley rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Nina Lloyd
Nina Lloyd rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Monique
Monique rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Stef Durham
Stef Durham rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Leila Davis
Leila Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Andy & Paula Hughes
Andy & Paula Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
May 18, 2011
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2013
Meg Dean
Meg Dean rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
David Beleski
David Beleski rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Dona
Dona rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Elizabeth B
Elizabeth B rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014