Start by marking “The New Southern Garden Cookbook: Enjoying the Best from Homegrown Gardens, Farmers' Markets, Roadside Stands, & CSA Farm Boxes” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In "The New Southern Garden Cookbook," Sheri Castle aims to make "what's in season" the answer to "what's for dinner?" This timely cookbook, with dishes for omnivores and vegetarians alike, celebrates and promotes delicious, healthful homemade meals centered on the diverse array of seasonal fruits and vegetables grown in the South, and in most of the rest of the nation as...more
Published April 30th 2011 by University of North Carolina Press (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The New Southern Garden Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Southern Garden Cookbook

Danielle
I love this cookbook! It's organized by fruit/vegetable, so finding a recipe you want is really easy. The recipes are delicious, and a good mix of quick and easy to a little more complicated. Most of them don't call for too many ingredients or anything very unusual. She's also great about telling you about substitutions you can make to a recipe, and when you must follow the recipe exactly.

I also love the tone of the book; it's very conversational, but doesn't take away from the focus of the cook...more
Stacie
I can't rate this book until I've tried the recipes, but they look very promising. I also appreciate the author acknowledging that not everyone eats every type of food and making suggestions of what's appropriate to leave out or substitute (specifically because many "Southern" recipes rely on pork or pork products for flavoring, which I don't use).
The cookbook is organized by vegetable, and would have been good to have at the beginning of the CSA season because it is geared specifically toward t...more
Cindy Sink
This is my go-to cookbook. I am a CSA produce box junkie and Sheri has a recipe for everything that comes in my box. She blends good ole-fashioned Southern goodness with a healthy Mediterranean flair. Every recipe comes with a clever bit of history and Sheri's helpful hints.
Amy Leigh
I am cooking my way through this book. So far every recipe has turned out as good or better than expected. Having grown up largely in the South, I appreciate Sheri's references to people, seasons, and location.
Her recipe for apple butter may replace my grandfathers.
Barbara Hardin
Barbara Hardin marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Danielle Hinson
Danielle Hinson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Samantha Brasher
Samantha Brasher marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jennifer Lange
Jennifer Lange marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Debbye
Debbye added it
May 15, 2014
Leila Davis
Leila Davis is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Meredith Murphy
Meredith Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Darren
Darren added it
Mar 01, 2013
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2013
Jen
Jen added it
Jan 10, 2013
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
Jennifer Stewart
Jennifer Stewart marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Lisa
Lisa added it
Nov 13, 2012
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jenny (Reading Envy) marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Bookmarks : Southern Recipes 1 7 Aug 31, 2011 10:54AM
New Southern Garden Cookbook: Recipes for Enjoying the Best from Homegrown Gardens, Farmers' Markets, Roadside Stands, and CSA Farm Boxes The New Southern Garden Cookbook: Enjoying the Best from Homegrown Gardens, Farmers' Markets, Roadside Stands, and CSA Farm Boxes