Start by marking “Mistress of Modernism: The Life of Peggy Guggenheim” as Want to Read:
Mistress of Modernism: The Life of Peggy Guggenheim

Mistress of Modernism: The Life of Peggy Guggenheim

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Peggy Guggenheim emerges in Mistress of Modernism as the ultimate self-invented woman, a cultural mover and shaker who broke away from her poor-little-rich-girl origins to shape a life for herself as the enfant terrible of the art world. Peggy's visionary Art of This Century gallery in New York, which brought together the European surrealist artists with the American abstr ...more
Published September 15th 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of Modernism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of Modernism

Christina
Peggy Guggenheim was born in 1898 and died 81 years later, in 1979. She was born into the rich Guggenheim family although she was one of the 'poor' Guggenheims. She didn't want the traditional life of a Jewish girl in New York so she strived hard to find her place in life. She became an avid art collector, especially abstract and Surrealist art. She lived among the artists, payed artists regularly to help them, had various galleries where she showed her collection and also other works - among th ...more
Christianne Hedtke
This is one of three bios on Peggy Guggenheim and it is the shortest, most vague, and doesn't spend much time creating atmosphere and placing her life in the context of history. It also tends to look at her actions through rose-colored glasses when in fact some of her less savory characteristics are the most fun to read about, and also probably a more honest depiction of a very dynamic woman. If you want the real deal read Peggy: The Wayward Guggenheim by Jacqueline Bograd Weld.
Carolyn
Oct 12, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Fascinating story about the woman who promoted modernism and abstract impressionism with her money and influence. The book focuses on Peggy's friendships and affairs with the interesting and the notorious in the art world. She never had as much money as people thought she had; even though she supported several people with life-long subsidies, she was often accused of being stingy. She adored her father, who died on the Titanic, and she thereafter embarked on some disastrous and abusive relations ...more
Bella George
Apr 07, 2013 Bella George rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
Finally finished!!!! This author makes the life story of a very interesting person so boring!!! I finished it as I was interested in Peggy Guggenheim, but this author just was not creative at all in making it easy to read!! It was tough going!
Virginia Van
Jan 17, 2016 Virginia Van rated it really liked it
Despite a wealthy background, Peggy Guggenheim is shown in this sympathetic portrait to have struggled through out her life to find love and overcoming feelings of inferiority to make her name in the art world. A vivid picture of the art world of the '20s.'30s and '40s and the artists who peopled it and their complex interrelationships.
Andrea Stoeckel
Feb 16, 2013 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it
Dearborn's bio of Peggy Guggenheim is also a biography of the times she lived in. A thoroughly modern woman, she championed causes that in some ways made the rest of her family just about disown her. But with her help, many important artists survived WW2 and she helped build on themes of modernist painting and sculpture as she promotedand protected people like ManRay, Rodin, Jackson Pollock, Emma Golwin, Andy Warhol and even Phillip Glass and up to Yoko Ono. Many of her collection are now in the ...more
Alex
Dec 31, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, read-in-2011
A thoroughly researched and thoughtfully written biography of a powerful and controversial woman, Dearborn's volume on Peggy Guggenheim is a good read. I was primarily interested in the second half of her life when she embarked on her collecting and gallery-managing endeavors, so the first half of the book was a little tedious. Still, definitely worth it for the fascinating view into the lives of various important figures of 1920s-50s culture, and the shaping of modern art institutions. I'm also ...more
Susan
Jan 25, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
I learned so much about the various artists Peggy Guggenheim touched throughout her life. It was a fascinating way to increase my Modern Art knowledge. I truly enjoyed it because I recently taught an ArtLit course on Frank Lloyd Wright. I gained some special knowledge about the building of the Guggenheim Museum and was able to share it with the students. There were so many interesting background stories on her friends, lovers, husbands and artists - it kept my interest to the appendix! If you ha ...more
Carol Hatley
Jun 11, 2014 Carol Hatley rated it it was ok
This book was a huge disappointment - mostly a lot of name-dropping and a litany of Peggy Guggenheim's many romantic entanglements. I might have enjoyed it more if I had more of an interest in the history of modern art.
Elena Victoria
Apr 15, 2012 Elena Victoria rated it it was ok
I felt that Dearborn's handling of Peggy's personal life was a little too melodramatic. She definitely played up the Perpetually-Wayward-Girl-Child angle a bit and dismissed a lot of her actions/relationships as just being a product of daddy issues. But, it was a fun read. And I did learn a few interesting things about the artists that she worked with that I didn't know before (although, I'm kind of upset that she was so dismissive of Lee Krasner...although, lets be serious, everyone was). Disap ...more
Judy
Jun 21, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Well-written biography of the woman who championed abstract expressionism, in particular Jackson Pollock, and collected the works of many modern artists before they were well-known. Her personal life was always in an uproar, but her canny acquisitions affected the entire course of art history in the 20th century. If you ever have the opportunity to visit the Guggenheim in Venice, *go*--it's her legacy to Venice and the world.
Anne Stokey(Glaspy)
Aug 14, 2015 Anne Stokey(Glaspy) rated it liked it
Picked this for my art history book club and wish I'd read a few chapters beforehand. TOO many characters and the writing style did not hold my interest. Not that it isn't quite well written and the author definitely did her research. To get a synopsis of PG and her personality, I recommend her memoir, Confessions of an Art Addict.
Linda
Aug 25, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I read Art Lover about Peggy Guggenheim but not listed in Goodreads records. I am sure they are similar. Peggy G was a fascinating person. She met every modern artist (and slept with many of them) and eventually had an amazing collection. Much of it is still on view in her museum in Venice. She lived a charmed but sometimes lonely life of excess and power in the art world. LOVED IT!
Hannah
Jul 28, 2011 Hannah added it
I wasn't sure that this was going to keep me engaged all the way through but it was interesting to read about the life and works of the Modernists and Surrealists. Although Guggenheim is interesting to a point because of her key role as investor, buyer and promoter of so many famous artists, it's the promiscuous and incestuous lives of these people that keep you reading.
Stuart
Sep 24, 2011 Stuart rated it it was amazing
I liked everything about this book. Mary Dearborn's writing style, the story she told, the pacing, the "character" that Peggy Guggenheim represented. I loved this book, hope that more of my friends read it some day so that I can actually discuss it with others.

I think this would be a great book club selection if you're into well-written, interesting biographies.
Pat
Nov 25, 2007 Pat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This is an interesting book. I wanted to read it because I have been to the Guggenheim Museum in Venice which is the final rsting place of Peggy Guggenheim's collection of modern art. However, that was just the last place for the collection. She was an interesting person though not someone that I think I would have liked very much.
Angela
Aug 12, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Really full of information on Peggy Guggenheim and how she began collecting. I think perceptions of her are formed by her later years, but who she ran with and how she became determined to be "independent" and find her direction was very interesting.
Liz
Jun 24, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Peggy Guggenheim is fascinating, truly, and you'll be into this book if you're interested in subversive behavior, Modernism, artists, and/or writers. I was inspired to read this after going to the Peggy Guggenheim museum in Venice (love!).
Heidi Thorsen
I probably got over halfway through, but then lost interest. I've learned enough about Peggy Guggenheim that I don't feel compelled to finish the book.
Shilpa Mankikar
Jun 24, 2012 Shilpa Mankikar rated it really liked it
Very interesting, full of drama, story of Guggenheim art legacy & saving artists from WW2 Europe, but very dense and long, didn't get thru all of it.
Jenna Eve Rieker
Jul 24, 2008 Jenna Eve Rieker rated it really liked it
Highly recommended. Peggy is awesome, her collection is amazing, and learning about her misfortunes, romances, and private life gave me more respect for her.
Talya
Jan 22, 2008 Talya rated it really liked it
Fabulously scandalous. An easy read giving a rich insight into the transformation of the modern art world through the eyes of Peggy Guggenheim.
Pollopicu
Sep 18, 2009 Pollopicu rated it really liked it
Not as good as "art lover" but still enjoyed it. It's good if you want to overload yourself with history of Peggy Guggenheim.
Karen
Aug 30, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
I found this to be so wonderfully entertaining and full of life. She was an enormously interesting women.
Whitney Woodward
Jul 29, 2008 Whitney Woodward rated it really liked it
I had already read "Out of This Century," which I loved, so this was far more dry, but still interesting.
Michelle Bucci
Jun 02, 2014 Michelle Bucci rated it really liked it
After 3 months it was a very detailed, interesting book/
Tracy
Sep 09, 2010 Tracy added it
Slow but interesting.
Mary
Jun 25, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Interesting to learn about how Peggy Guggenheim broke free of her family's traditional expectations and pursued a lifelong role supporting new art and artists in the US and Europe. The pace is rather breathless with event following event, but I appreciate Dearborn's discipline in limiting her analysis. Guggenheim was a flawed and complicated person but it is helpful to consider her in the context of her own time, she really forged new territory as a woman and as a patron of the arts.
Karyn
  • Leo and His Circle: The Life of Leo Castelli
  • Toulouse-Lautrec: A Life
  • Isabella Blow: A Life in Fashion
  • A Short Life of Trouble: Forty Years in the New York Art World
  • Wild Girls: Paris, Sappho, and Art: The Lives and Loves of Natalie Barney and Romaine Brooks
  • Century Girl: 100 Years in the Life of Doris Eaton Travis, Last Living Star of the Ziegfeld Follies
  • Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell
  • Jackson Pollock: An American Saga
  • Irving Thalberg: Boy Wonder to Producer Prince
  • Dark Lover: The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino
  • Secret Lives of Great Artists: What Your Teachers Never Told You about Master Painters and Sculptors
  • Joseph Cornell: Navigating the Imagination