Start by marking “Josette” as Want to Read:

Josette Price sees her future in Beddingfield Park. While her brother, George, needlessly pursues a naval career, Josette promises to watch over their beloved parents and the Beddingfield Park estate. Nothing would make Josette happier than to see her sister and her self settled within the palings of Beddingfield. But dark, brooding Captain Carter rides into their lives wi ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Whimsical Publications

To ask other readers questions about Josette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josette

4.5/5.0 - and I'm stuck right in the middle as whether to bump it or not...

The 5 star argument:
This is an incredibly well written, engaging, lovely story that is almost impossible to put down. Josette's character can be completely infuriating while still managing to be endearing. All the characters are fleshed out so well that even when they are behaving badly, the reader can understand and sympathize with them. Ms. Thorne has also done an exquisite job of creating extreme sexual tension withou
Regina Andrews
Jan 10, 2011 Regina Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Josette”, the newest novel by author Danielle Thorne, is a refreshing and satisfying read à la Jane Austin. Prepare to be swept away by the charm of the heroine/title character, Josette, who discovers love with a dashing sailor under not the most ideal of circumstances, and who always maintains her individuality within the confines of a very restrained society. The author’s use of setting is superb. She envelops her readers and through her masterful familiarity with the customs, speech, dress a ...more
Feb 02, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enter to win a copy at Fire and Ice ends 3/2/11

If you are a fan of Jane Austen and Regency Romance you will be smitten by Josette. The tension between the characters and fast paced plot made it an outstanding pick. A cross between Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, the story captures two sisters in the season of their most important decisions. Sprinkled with deception, intrigue, and slow building romance, Josette was all I hoped for and more.
Mar 04, 2011 Cheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I am addicted to old English romances!! I enjoyed the story!! Josette is devestated at the loss of her brother George and is resentful of Captain Carter who brought the family the news of her brothers death.
Josette finds out that the estate is to be entailed to her cousin Edward; whom she has no desire to marry and who her sister Amy has decided she will try to win over. Because of the loss of their brotherAmy is afraid that she will miss her season in the city. Josette is a story I would read
Feb 01, 2012 Nellie rated it liked it
This was a good story. Well written. Editing lacked a bit. Clean romance. I liked it, but didn't LOVE it. It was worth reading, but it smacked of Pride and Predjudice envy. Josette rejects Captain Carter, and then finds out her initial assumptions were wrong, and he really had saved her family from ruin several times. Worth the read, but not awesome.
Feb 01, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok
This was such a rip-off of Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice, it felt like plagiarism. Everything from characters to key scenes was so obviously from one of Jane's books, it was distracting. Bummer! I'd been looking forward to this one...
Mar 22, 2013 Patti rated it did not like it
I am in complete agreement with those reviewers who noticed “Josette” was pretty much a re-creation of Pride & Prejudice. I do not feel right giving a review if I didn’t read the whole book, so I did finish it, hoping it would turn into something wonderful of its own. But it didn’t.

I was reading a conglomeration of mainly P&P, with some Sense & Sensibility thrown in, a touch of Emma, and even a bit of Persuasion. At first I was surprised the plot seemed so familiar. On it went to pa
Mary Walling
Jan 29, 2011 Mary Walling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Thorne

George Price-older brother lost at sea
Josette Price-tall, straight, dark, short dark hair, brown eyed,true to herself, open minded, tolerant and affectionate
Amy Price-younger sister-blonde, self-centered, spoiled, easily flattered, vital
Captain Phillip Carter-Was the child his? A tall handsome man with green eyes who was a good friend of George Price's. Is he in love with Amy or Josette?
Edward Price-inherits Beddingfield Park through entailment. He is a socialite, womani
Sarah Boucher
Apr 18, 2015 Sarah Boucher rated it really liked it
In Josette, Thorne crafts a tale rich in lyrical language, old fashioned romance, and intriguing characters. The style, reminiscent of Jane Austen, transports the reader to a simpler, more romantic era. Readers will enjoy following Josette's journey from losing her beloved brother to losing her heart.
Dec 11, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Written in the same style as the Regency stories I enjoy, Josette does not disappoint. The brother, George, was painted too angelically to not nag at my mind as I read.
Feb 11, 2015 Franky rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Josette is a fun character and I kept turning pages waiting for her and Captain Carter to get together. This is a sweet, clean Austen-style regency romance.
Apr 27, 2011 Englishrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and interesting regency that will keep you turning the pages. Though a little slow at first, it picks up speed and takes on several unexpected turns. Josette is a conflicted character who struggles to know her own heart and to find her own path. Captain Carter is a bit dour and non-expressive, but he's a good and noble character. It reminded me a bit of Pride and Prejudice and other such Jane Austin novels - both in concept and in execution. A good read and an enjoyable story.

May 06, 2013 Alisa rated it really liked it
Cute, clean story - well-written!

This is a hard book for me to review because I liked it, but I didn't love it! I really wanted to fall in love with the characters and I felt like there wasn't quite enough there to fall in love with!

If you like Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, then it's definitely worth it to read this one...
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I won this e-book in a giveaway. It had a very Pride and Prejudice feel to it and was a nice diversion for the day. It's a sweet romance story, clean and very happy ending-ish, which I, of course, love. My thanks to Danielle Thorne for allowing me to read this book, and my congratulations too.
Judy Bullard
Apr 30, 2013 Judy Bullard rated it really liked it
Good, clean read! This is the first book I have read from this author. I look forward to reading some of her other books.
Dec 31, 2010 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more like 3.5 stars. Not anything super great, but it was what I was in the mood for - a quick, clean, sweet romance.

Christine Jensen
May 01, 2011 Christine Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute regency era story...fairly predictable, but very enjoyable! I would definitely read it again.
Oct 04, 2012 Deyanne rated it it was ok
Adolescent retelling of Pride and Prejudice. No comparison except for the storyline.
Dawn Swansbrough
Dawn Swansbrough rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Tanya rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Danielle Thorne
Jul 01, 2015 Danielle Thorne added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kristina marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
E.L. marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Sara Cardon
Sara Cardon rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mixedbagreader marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Happily Ever Afte...: .99 Sale on Best Selling Regency 1 14 Dec 03, 2014 05:03PM
Clean Romances: .99 This Week Only! 1 8 Dec 03, 2014 04:56PM
Clean Romances: Spooktacular Giveaway 1 18 Oct 25, 2012 11:17AM
Danielle Thorne writes from south of Atlanta, Georgia. She is the author of sweet romantic adventure books, both historical and contemporary. Danielle has published poetry and short fiction as well as novels.

Other work has appeared with Espresso Fiction, Every Day Fiction, Arts and Prose Magazine, Mississippi Crow, The Nantahala Review, StorySouth, Bookideas, The Mid-West Review and more. She was
More about Danielle Thorne...