Start by marking “The Discovery of Insulin” as Want to Read:
The Discovery of Insulin

The Discovery of Insulin

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In a brilliant, definitive history of one of the most significant and controversial medical events of modern times, award-winning historian Michael Bliss brings to light a bizarre clash of scientific personalities. When F. G. Banting and J. J. R. Macleod won the 1923 Nobel Prize for discovering and isolating insulin, Banting immediately announced that he was dividing his s ...more
Published October 15th 1984 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Discovery of Insulin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Discovery of Insulin

Iman
I have been born into a world that had insulin, and I thought that it had been decades since its discovery. I wouldn’t have known that this amazing medicine has only been discovered 100 years ago in 1921 until I read this book!

The fact that people has been dying from diabetes only 100 years ago is shocking! A simple medication, that we doctors prescribe so effortlessly, has been a precious discovery and a hope to millions of diabetics only one century ago. A diagnosis of T1DM for a child at that
Allyson Dyar
"The Discovery of Insulin" by Michael Bliss has to be considered the definitive word on the trials and tribulations on how insulin was discovered.

I'd say, even this day, if you ask most folks who won the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin, I believe that the most common answer still is Banting and Best, not Banting and Mccleod. Never mind even knowing who Collip was.

The book edition I read was the 2007 updating of "The Discovery of Insulin" where Dr Bliss not only answers his first edition
Elizabeth S
I'm not sure if this is the same book I read years ago, about how insulin was discovered and first used to help diabetics. The book I read was very interesting and informative, walking you through the process of discovery and figuring out how to make it usable. It explains how they decided defined a "unit" of insulin, for example. Very readable.
Karin
Since Diabetes runs in my family, I've heard a number of stories about how difficult the treatment used to be, for my grandmother in particular. It was through that lens that I absorbed all of the information about pre-insulin treatments, thinking of how lucky Grandma was to not be subjected to starvation diets or other torturous attempts to control the disease. What an awful existence for those patients.
I was fascinated by the timeline associated with the discovery, how so many people around t
Asma
At first glance, insulin discovery discovery is the perfect fairy tale story. A simple young country doctor who's scarred by the war is inspired in the middle of the night to set on his quest to discovering insulin. His simple background and average results certainly fit layman's picture of a brilliant transformation. We are all suckers for drama, writers most of all. That's where I compliment Michael Bliss's unbiased account of such -now I know, greatly paradoxical- story. Surprising and eye op ...more
Felix
Feb 02, 2013 Felix rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in health and nutrition
Shelves: health
This book was recommended to me by a nutrition book
I was reading. The section I was reading was on
the effect of insulin resistance and the corresponding
health problems that develops because of it. The
book recommended reading the book "The Discovery Of Insulin"
by Michael Bliss and I was able to borrow it from the
local library.

The book is a very interesting read on how insulin came
about. You can think of the book as being made up of
3 parts. The first part is a detailed exposition of
countless expe
Mobius Scutav
Although I've said this before, I'll say it again. I read the original article by Nicolae Paulescu and I can say with certainty that he is the discoverer of insulin. I do not know how many actually bothered to compare the articles of Paulescu and Banting's ... but I did it. Not to mention the date of publication of the two articles. Thus, it is a fully European discovery. I have spoken with many people (in the field of diabetology), and all of them consider that 1) Paulescu and 2) Collip should ...more
Mobius Scutav
Well, I read the original article by Nicolae Paulescu and I can say with certainty that he is the discoverer of insulin. I do not know how many actually bothered to compare the articles of Paulescu and Banting's ... but I did it. Not to mention the date of publication of the two articles. Thus, it is a fully European discovery. I have spoken with many people (in the field of diabetology), and all of them consider that 1) Paulescu and 2) Collip should have been awarded the Nobel (or Paulescu alon ...more
John Williams
A masterfull book that reads almost like a novel. Researching and
writing after the death of the protagonists and with the availability of
their papers, historian Michael Bliss of the University of Toronto
traces the story of the discovery of inulin, its purification, and
administration to patients in the period from 1921 to 1923 by Frederick
Banting, Charles Best, JJH Macleod and Bertram Collip. Theirs was a
stormy partnership but when you finish reading you will understand the
role each played
Angie
I should have written this review a while ago, but I didn't, and the review will suffer for it. I don't think my fascination with this book is completely related to my son's having diabetes. Maybe I'm fooling myself. It's simply amazing how the discovery of insulin came about; simply amazing that it came about at all, given how this story played out. It was the most exciting nonfiction book I've read in quite some time.
Vanessa
Well-written and fascinating to read - Bliss manages to make the long account of lab work by Banting and Best into a page turner, a feat in and of itself, but his book also does a great job of showcasing the horror of pre-insulin diabetes, the magnitude of insulin's impact on treatment of the disease, and the sometimes sloppy process by which this discovery (and I'm sure many other great ones) was made.
Rebecca
Quite Interesting, although a little bit tedious at times. But what can be expected of a book about the discovery of insulin. I do have to say I enjoyed learning where "units" came from...those poor rabbits and all of the dogs they went through, amazing to think that it took all that to get what we finally have today.
Maryann Jorissen
I was very disappointed in this book. It was not what I expected at all. Many pages were devoted to discussion of the research. Without a modicum if experience in research, one can lose interest pretty quickly. Steps in extraction and manufacture were covered again the story was dry.
bjhn
A fascinating true story describing the political maneuverings surrounding the search for a magic bullet to cure diabetes. Scientifically interesting in and of itself, but the infighting and intrigue add a dimension just as compelling as any work of fiction.
Brooke
Being dependent on insulin for life and all, I found this book pretty interesting. For me, it was a good mix of science and human interest. I walk away from the text with an increased gratitude for all that went in to bringing insulin (and diabetics) to life.
Dorian
It was a fun read and helped me learn more about medicine and the processes of scientific research a century ago. Glad we have insulin now because of the benefits it has given so many diabetics who I love and admire!
Juliann
It is a must read for anyone who has a child with diabetes or is diabetic. It goes through the history of diabetes and also explains how insulin was discovered. Fascinating read!
Joy Jones
My Mom was an infant when her Dad worked on the team that discovered Insulin. She was interviewed by the author of this book. I thought it was fascinating and a very good read.
Erika
I read this book for a project at work in 2006 and totally forgot about it until I found a review online. Absolutely loved it.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Nancy Checchi
Nancy Checchi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Tim Robinson
Tim Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Bookworm0404
Bookworm0404 marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Ward
Ward marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Kendra Magelitz
Kendra Magelitz marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Axel
Axel marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
The Discovery of Insulin was made by Nicolae Constantin Paulescu 1 1 Dec 16, 2013 09:56PM
  • The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat: The Story of the Penicillin Miracle
  • Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle
  • Five Quarts: A Personal and Natural History of Blood
  • Ether Day: The Strange Tale of America's Greatest Medical Discovery and The Haunted Men Who Made It
  • The Monk in the Garden: The Lost and Found Genius of Gregor Mendel, the Father of Genetics
  • Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail
  • The Doctors' Plague: Germs, Childbed Fever, and the Strange Story of Ignac Semmelweis
  • The Riddle of the Compass: The Invention that Changed the World
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
  • Blood: An Epic History of Medicine and Commerce
  • Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It
  • The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity
  • Tesla, Master of Lightning
  • Narwhals: Arctic Whales in a Melting World
  • Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery
  • The Knife Man: Blood, Body Snatching, and the Birth of Modern Surgery
  • The Strange Case of the Broad Street Pump: John Snow and the Mystery of Cholera
  • Hunger: An Unnatural History
Harvey Cushing: A Life in Surgery William Osler: A Life in Medicine Right Honourable Men: The Descent of Canadian Politics from MacDonald to Mulroney The Making of Modern Medicine: Turning Points in the Treatment of Disease Doing It Right: The Best Criticism on Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch