Start by marking “Centered Riding 1” as Want to Read:
Centered Riding 1

Centered Riding 1

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Sally Swift covers the basic Centered Riding concepts, showing the relationship between the rider and the motion of the horse.
DVD ROM, 1 page
Published April 1st 2005 by Trafalgar Square Books (first published January 15th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Centered Riding 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centered Riding 1

Pete
Centered Riding by Sally Swift is one of my very favorite books that I recommend to natural riders. There are so many well explained concepts of helping riders understand the subtle and not so subtle ways to generate the wonderful bonding between a human and a horse. It has been in my library it seems forever and is a must read for those who love horses.

I strongly recommend this especially for new owners who want to make their horse a friend and companion without fear.
Persephone Abbott
"Centered Riding" was recommended to me by an Alexander Teacher the first year I took up riding. As I remember I did "look through" it with interest, but was left with an impression that I hadn't really read the book since I had a hard time associating the concepts with physical movements -- having ridden so little. So I took the book up again and discovered that actually I had been using the ideas put forward these past years. What a surprise! Re-reading it was most interesting and I found that ...more
Cathleen Carstens
My riding has improved immeasurably since using the techniques discussed in "Centered Riding". As a result, I have developed a bond with my horse that goes beyond anything I ever imagined. If you're serious about riding well, you should study "Centered Riding".
Jacqui Lafrance
Jul 14, 2008 Jacqui Lafrance rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqui by: Sam and Chris
What an amazing teacher- analogies and metaphors are such strong teaching tools since they draw on the student's prior knowledge and Sally Swift uses these on every page with illustrations. Imagine you are...... suddenly the concept is conceivable and the reader can grasp what she is describing. This is the standard and classic text of dressage riding for riders who read. I am using it to help me remember what I was working with on my horse way back when- it is part of my powering up phase as I ...more
Whitney
This book was so insightful. Ms. Swift introduced me to entirely different way to look at my seat and my body's communication with the horse.
Natalie
This book is an absolute must read for any rider, but is especially helpful to those of us who are not naturally balance or athletic. Swift's exercises have helped me to become more aware of how I use my body both in and out of the saddle. This has literally changed my way of life for the better! I am more balanced and relaxed and have used many of her centred exercises to relieve myself of stress and tension. This is a must for anyone who rides as well as those looking to understand how to use ...more
Lula
Sally Swift teaches what you really need to know about riding that no one quite explain. If you are working on improving your seat, and moving up to the next level as a rider, this book is a must read. No one else explains the physicality of riding with the detail and insight that Sally Swift does.

If you are learning dressage, you must read this book.

Kim
My best friend gave me this book knowing I am an English rider/jumper. I was in awe when I realized how much of this I NEED to be doing. I told my trainer I read the book and she said "Wow. It took a book to get that through your thick skull. I've been trying to tell you that FOREVER." I just had to laugh. So see...books can help readers and riders!!!
Gloria
Sep 27, 2011 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People wanting to ride with their horse, not just on the horse.
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a slightly older book that has timeless wisdom. As a newbie rider, I have found it very helpful in understanding communication with the horse. Not just a how to ride book, but rather it encourages you to understand muscles and movement as well as tension. Very assuring. There is a video, too, and it is helpful as well.
Michael Oswald
Can't say enough positive things about this book. I'm nowhere near ready for half the content, but I read on to see what anecdote the author/instructor would use next to simplify an activity that is much more complicated than I ever imagined.
Debby
As a beginning rider, most of this book was way beyond me, but I think the first few chapters were very helpful. The main thing I learned was to be considerate of the horse and to stay centered in order to make his job easier.
Ciara
Excellent descriptions in every way! This book really helped me picture and then apply some very diverse concepts to my riding. I really enjoyed it. My transitions absolutely improved as a result!
Heather Pundt
A good book for any rider. I find that the exercises and visualizations are ones you can come back to for repeated review. This is one a rider can keep in their library as a reference.
Lisa Hoenig
Picked up some really useful imagery from this classic riding book. I will try re-reading it in a year or so, as I'm sure it offers something to riders at every level.
Data
When I give classroom instruction on riding, I always recommend this book to my students. Swift gives lots of mental images and illustrations to help the rider.
Alleycatfan
Aug 09, 2008 Alleycatfan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves their sister and horses.
Recommended to Alleycatfan by: Someone not cute but sexy and sophisticated.
Shelves: own
My sister bought this for me years ago when I moved to Colorado to play with horses. So I agree it is one of the best equine books ever.
Jess
Jan 12, 2011 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any riders or equine enthusiasts
The PERFECT riding book for any rider. Great especially for boosting confidence for both rider, horse, and trainer.
Ian
A well written and thoughtful text that will get you thinking about what you're doing in the saddle.
Ammar Alhaddad
Simple short book for beginners. I like the fact that she starts with the basics and go from there.
Tanya Hill
Feb 12, 2008 Tanya Hill is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for anyone learning to ride or to use as a refresher for those more experienced.
Karen Jaunarajs
Awesome! Anybody that rides should read this. Loved the visualization exercises. Really helps!
Melissa
Very helpful and unique visualizations to assist even the most skilled horse back riders.
Donnamarie
May 29, 2008 Donnamarie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone taking riding lessons.
Recommended to Donnamarie by: my trainer!
Best book to read before, during and after riding lessons - especially for beginners.
Jennifer Ricker
Great book!I will remember "soft eyes", being centered, and breathing!
Cristina
Visual, imaginative, provides an intuitive approach to horse-riding.
Sandy
If I could only do what she says when i ride each time
Mary
a classic reminder of what we all need to do to ride better
Marissa
A great beginner's book for English riding.
Magdalena
Absolutely "must read" for riders!!
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Hunter Seat Equitation
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • The Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Album of Horses
  • Horses Don't Lie: What Horses Teach Us About Our Natural Capacity for Awareness, Confidence, Courage, and Trust
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
At seven years old, a scoliosis appeared which became part of her daily life and was later instrumental in her development of Centered Riding. After the diagnosis and well into her twenties, she worked with Mabel Ellsworth Todd, author of The Thinking Body. Mable Todd was Sally’s first teacher in “body awareness” and encouraged Sally to explore her new “awareness”. This early training was enhanced ...more
More about Sally Swift...
Centered Riding 2 Reiten Aus Der Körpermitte 1. Pferd Und Reiter Im Gleichgewicht Centered Riding 2: Further Exploration Equitacion Centrada/ Centered Riding (Herakles) Centrerad ridning - En bok för ryttare på alla nivåer

“Remember, the conversation between you and your horse must never be dull or inert. It should be, “Ask, receive, give. Ask, receive, give." Ask with your body and legs; receive through your body into your hands; give primarily with the hands, but also with your body and legs, so that you can ask all over again, receive again, and give again. The give is your thanks. If you don’t give, you must ask harder the next time, and even harder after that, until you end up with a dead or resistant horse. I have heard Major Hans Wikne, coach of the Swedish dressage team and head of the Swedish National School for Instructors, say so many times, “For everything you ask from your horse, your must give back a little more. The give is more important than the take." Riding is much more than a push-me-pull-you between leg and hand.” 1 likes