Start by marking “The Great God Pan” as Want to Read:
The Great God Pan

The Great God Pan

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Pan, both goat and god, is a curious being who roams nature searching, wondering, and frolicking with maenads and satyrs. He plays melodies on his reed flute, wooing animals to listen. He is a creature of mystery and delight. One day in his travels, Pan meets Iphigenia, a human raised as the daughter of King Agamemnon and Queen Clytemnestra. Pan is captivated by the young ...more
Library Binding, 150 pages
Published May 13th 2003 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about The Great God Pan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great God Pan

Edwina Hall Callan
Nov 11, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
A fun little trip through Greek Mythology with furry little Pan as the hero of the story.
Simply brain candy and although I enjoyed this book, I would not recommend it for children ...
waaay too much ... ummmm ... romping with the maenads. ;)
Angela Kidd Shinozaki
I thought this book would be fun--a lighthearted romp--for spring. The main problem is that it doesn't get going until chapter 10 The Prophecy on page 88, and it's only 150 pages. So I would suggest skimming the first sections. The only important part is the scene where he meets Iphigenia-- his love interest. I think what the author is trying to do is set up the character of Pan that we know and love. The one that likes to frolic with maidens in nature, which is fine, but it goes on for too many ...more
S. Policar
Jul 19, 2014 S. Policar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book while looking for some new pictures to post of my beloved satyr god. It wasn't a purchase I regret.

The story is absolutely beautiful even if there are minor contradictions to the actual mythology. It tells the story of Pan's love for Iphigenia.

Told through Pan's eyes, the reader is shown how many of the most notable events in the Great God's life came to happen, which will give lovers and followers of our carefree god, a new look at him and a much deeper understanding
Athena Macmillan
I picked this book up at the library completely by accident and without too much thought popped it in my bag not expecting very much from an author I had never even heard about before.

I was very pleasantly surprised by a quirky and lyrical representation of one of my favorite 'gods' of the Greek Pantheon. All at once touching and whimsical, this book takes us into the mind of character who is often portrayed as an irrepressible party animal to show how love changed the trickster into someone who
Chelsea
Dec 07, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna Jo Napoli's The Great God Pan is the tale of young half Olympian god, half goat Pan. Pan is greatly adored by all creatures and gods of Olympus, but he is forever burdened by a curse put on him by the goddess of love, Aphrodite to be unloveable after his father Hermes forced her into bed with him. Pan is disturbed by this as well as his inability to be either completely god or completely goat throughout the book causing him to be caught in between two different worlds never knowing where h ...more
Ryon King
Dec 02, 2010 Ryon King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mandy
Jun 25, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-356-read, 2013
I love Greek mythology and when I found out that one of my required authors for class had written one, AND it was young adult fiction, I just HAD to read it. I was pleasantly surprised with this one too. It gives the story of the gap in Pan's myth. He's the only god to have "died" and Napoli wanted to know why, so she wrote the story herself. It's very "Greek" in the sense that you have to understand it is written as a Greek myth and not as a normal novel. If you have read other Greek myths thou ...more
Emma
The Great God Pan, by Donna Jo Napoli, is yet another beautifully written story of love and loss. Though it is short, it succeeds in conveying everything that could be wished. The Great God Pan is an interpretation of the Greek myths surrounding Pan, the god of nature. Pan is the son of Hermes and a goat, and is therefore stuck between two worlds, not really fitting into either. The book starts with a visit from his father, and continues on to Pan's meeting with a beautiful princess. Dealing wi ...more
Althea Ann
I can get very particular about my favorite gods, so if you're going to do one on Pan, Dionysus (or Loki), I'm gonna be exacting, sorry.

It's also an odd choice of title: in the afterword, Napoli explains that her choice of title is based on a line from Plutarch's 'Moralia,' but she cannot be unaware that there is already a very famous story by Arthur Machen with the same title.

Anyway, I've read several of Napoli's mythology and folklore-inspired books, and generally like them, but this is not th
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2004- I've read some of the author's other retellings and was a bit disappointed with this one. We meet Pan, the half goat/half god who basically flits around the woods with other mythical creatures all day. It isn't until he meets Iphigenia and falls in love with her that his life really seems to have a purpose. People with any background in Greek mythology know that Pan had a curse placed on him upon birth that he will never be loved in return. His quest to find Iphigenia again then seems a bi ...more
Keith
Nov 24, 2008 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a tear-jerker, a bit of an Olympian love story, both of which should be obvious to anyone who already knows the related myths or the Greeks' penchant for classical tragedy. Napoli weaves a number of interrelated mytic stories into the tapestry, and in the process creates quite a plausible fill for two of the gaps in the ending of the central narrative of Pan and Iphigenia. It should serve as quite a good introduction to Greek mythology for school-age children who are just beginning to g ...more
Sam Endo
Nov 06, 2014 Sam Endo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart wrenching. Melted my soul away by the last few shreds of paper and inhibited my recovery. The author brings ancient Greek mythology to life in this stunning fictional tale and repeatedly broke my heart in my attempt to relay love towards Pan. Oh, how my heart bled for him.
Caity
Apr 23, 2015 Caity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Jo Napoli does a great job connecting the stories of Iphigenia and Pan and filling in the gaps in both stories. It is a short book so it is a quick read but a really good book. This is a great book for fans of Greek Mythology.
Lisa Isabella
Feb 21, 2015 Lisa Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. An amazing book, short but the reader can get so attached to the characters you can't stop reading and it feels fully realized. An amazing piece.
Karen
Oct 01, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thin (as in number of pages), little book is a love story of mythical proportions. It is profoundly and heartbreakingly beautiful.
Anne
Sep 08, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hotter than the Song of Solomon! Wow, the gods sure did get around. This is a beautiful book from cover to ending -- very romantic, and if you're not careful you might just learn something. This is slated as Y/A lit. Not sure my 10-year-old is ready for it, nor would he be interested in a romance between Pan and Iphegenia. It's more of a chick book (in a good way), and for a bit older -- I'd guess jr. high or older, depending on the person. Great summer read for me, though!
Kaila
Aug 24, 2011 Kaila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when i read this story I never knew too much of the god Pan. I only knew of his job and nothing else. This book was a heartbreaking story of a god who is not man nor beast. It was moving and had a wonderful vibe when reading it. It was a very short read but still enjoyable. It was had all the parts that would make a short story great and hoping it were longer. Good book a surpise only if you do not know the story of Pan.
Melana
Sep 30, 2010 Melana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
The Great God Pan is a tame greek myth -- though seemingly a contradiction of terms -- written for the tween set. still, i enjoyed the quick read, as i had never much known of pan before opening the book, neither had i ever read a greek myth written in the first person. much fun.
Anastasia
Jul 21, 2008 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hollins-reads
I always love a good Napoli retelling of a classic story. This is no different if occasionally a bit quick: Napoli attempts to explain the myth of Pan but glosses over some of the more interesting relationships between the gods. However, Pan comes across lively and charming and his awkward positioning between worlds and realms and categories is fun to relate to.
Mimi Foxmorton
Jul 13, 2012 Mimi Foxmorton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pan
So beautiful....so wondrous....so magical.......
melted my poor heart..........

More, please, Miss Napoli........don't ever stop writing about dear Pan.......

It broke my heart to come to the last page...........

5 stars does not come near to justice.........
Rosa
This book tries to fill in a gap found in the greek myths regarding Pan and Iphignia. The characters are interesting and well developed. It was a quick read that the Percy Jackson crowd might appreciate, part adventure story part doomed love tale.
Maria
According to Napoli, Pan is the only classic god who is ever reported to have died. Napoli ties his story in with Iphigenia, the daughter of Helen of Troy, to explain how he died and why. A riveting re-telling of classical mythology.
Kendra
Oct 15, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I had a random dream a year or so ago, the god Pan has fascinated me. This novel definately satisfied my curiosity, and (as per usual with Napoli's books) it's stunning beauty prevented me from putting it down.
Apr 15, 2016 Sarah marked it as read-some  ·  review of another edition
A retelling of the Greek myths about Pan, both goat and god, whose reed flute frolicking leads him to a meeting with Iphigenia, a human raised as the daughter of King Agamemnon and Queen Clytemnestra.
Wendy
Jun 14, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story. I loved mythology as a kid and this is a wonderful romp back into that childhood love. This is the story of Pan and his curse, his love of a human, and his sacrifice for that love.
Tiffany
Allison
Pan is half-god, half-human, and he struggles knowing which nature and expectations to follow more.

I found this version of Pan to be mopey, and not at all fun like I was expecting.
Irvington Public Library Teens
I like mythology so I read it. Reads like mythology: it is "choppy" sometimes. You may feel that this short novel has too many characters in a small number of pages.
Liz
Feb 10, 2012 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya, mythology-rt
2/10/12 I wish the ending were different, I also wish it hadn't taken me by surprise. I should have remembered my mythology better.
Shelley Chastagner
Napoli once again does a wonderful job of retelling greek myths in an engaging new way. Worth reading.
  • Ithaka
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • Jem and the Holograms #2 (Jem and the Holograms, #2)
  • Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons (Young Heroes, #2)
  • Anatopsis
  • The Glass Swallow
  • Psyche in a Dress
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Quiver
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • Pandora Gets Heart (Mythic Misadventures #4)
  • An Earthly Knight
  • Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Fire Thief Fights Back (Fire Thief Trilogy, #3)
  • Ramayana: Divine Loophole
  • City of Ice (City Trilogy, #2)
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...

“My way of knowing is by putting myself in the other's place. Forgiveness gave me the method. I see through your eyes.” 0 likes
“They said my heart's desire aloud, giving me the courage to acknowledge it.” 0 likes