Start by marking “Who Needs a Superhero?: Finding Virtue, Vice, and Whats Holy in the Comics” as Want to Read:
Who Needs a Superhero?: Finding Virtue, Vice, and Whats Holy in the Comics

Who Needs a Superhero?: Finding Virtue, Vice, and Whats Holy in the Comics

For decades, and especially today, the superheroes in comic books, TV shows, and blockbuster movies have captured our hearts and minds. Now comic book Ian and writer H. Michael Brewer shows us why: we long for a savior--and this book helps us better understand God through the superheroes' stories. In Who Needs a Superhero? Brewer explores the Christlike qualities of Superm ...more
Published January 10th 2004 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Who Needs a Superhero?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Needs a Superhero?

Jim
H. Michael Brewer's Who Needs a Superhero?: Finding Virtue, Vice, and What's Holy in the Comics is not exactly what you'd expect. It's a study in contrasts. It attempts to attack deep spiritual issues, but in a light-hearted way. It's a simple read, but with hidden depths. It attacks age-old questions, but is current and relevant enough to reference the recent Dark Knight Strikes Again. It's written for those who are of the Christian faith, yet might be accessible to those outside that.

First of
Hank
Aug 10, 2015 Hank rated it really liked it
Shelves: geek-orthodoxy
As I noted elsewhere, this is a reread for me. I have a number of books like this on my shelf, and each one presents a different interpretation of the values and virtues of comic book superheroes. Many are from the perspectives of theologians and seminarians, but this one is by a pastor, and it is evident.

Often, it seems that the links between biblical truth and the heroes selected are a bit strained, but overall the book is a useful tool to illustrated Christian doctrine with superheroes. Espec
Isaac Gallaway
Aug 25, 2014 Isaac Gallaway rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
For someone who has a mild interest in the Superhero world, but with limited first hand knowledge, this book made me excited to read even more. I can only imagine how cool it would be for someone who is super into the hero/comic book world. Not only does it make the parallels with the 'hero world' to real life, it makes a bridge that is easy to understand and relate with.

It's simple fried chicken for the soul. Probably not going to put a lot of meat on your bones, but definitely will fill you up
Brent
Apr 06, 2008 Brent rated it it was ok
This fun premised little diddly just doesn't quite deliver. With subtle (and often not-so subtle) Christian overtones his comic book analysis seems a bit preachy. I only got through about 4 chapters. Instead I recommend: The Gospel According to Superheroes: Religion and Popular Culture. It's a much more philosophic approach to the topic and so makes several of the same points without that preachy bent.
Mark Archibald
Nov 06, 2015 Mark Archibald rated it it was amazing
Often these pop culture books about faith are either too shallow on the Biblical content or the pop culture content. This book isn't. Very fun read while inspiring us to and beyond what superheroes call us to be.
Renée
Jul 01, 2013 Renée added it
I would like to read this again. I can't remember it clearly. I think it was pretty basic and just attempted talk about the lessons learned in comics and connect them to spiritual lessons.
Arthur O'dell
Arthur O'dell rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Roland Mann
Roland Mann rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Keith Chapman
Keith Chapman rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2009
Nate Miller
Nate Miller rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
E.J. Caulder
E.J. Caulder rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Skyler
Skyler rated it it was ok
May 21, 2012
Justin Farley
Justin Farley rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
James T.
James T. rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2012
Jacob Berry
Jacob Berry rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Ayesha Ali
Ayesha Ali rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Sonnet Quinn
Sonnet Quinn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2010
Man Solo
Mar 07, 2010 Man Solo marked it as to-read
Trying to explore this obsession with superheros and the people who need them.
Nicholas Pessarra
Nicholas Pessarra rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Darrin Niday
Jul 26, 2011 Darrin Niday rated it really liked it
I liked how it tied comic book heroes with Christian values
Joshua Treece
Joshua Treece rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Daniel Butcher
Daniel Butcher rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2010