Start by marking “The Last Mile of the Way” as Want to Read:
The Last Mile of the Way

The Last Mile of the Way

Hardcover
Published January 1st 2003 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about The Last Mile of the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Mile of the Way

Lisa
May 01, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
It took me awhile, but I finally got through this series and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a fascinating look at an often-overlooked part of church history. I learned a lot, and gained an increased respect and appreciation for blacks in general and black Latter-day Saints in particular.

The authors did an excellent job with their research. Really my only complaint was that it was sometimes difficult to remember who was who— especially by Book 3, as many generations had passed by the time this book
Jeanne Young
Dec 19, 2013 Jeanne Young rated it really liked it
The last book of a very interesting trilogy about the largely unknown history of black Mormons. This last fictionalized account of actual people moves from the late 1800s to the announcement that the Priesthood could be conferred upon all worthy male members of the Church without regard to race. This also opened the opportunity of blessings given to eligible members of all races which are bestowed only in LDS temples. This book explores the faith and discouragement of the blacks seeking these ...more
Russell
Jan 12, 2008 Russell rated it liked it
This is the final book of the black Mormon pioneer trilogy. This book pretty much covers all of the 1900s and explores the descendents of the characters in book 1. Some chapters are quite small and appear to be historical inserts--that is, bits of important history that somewhat disrupted the novel. Some characters only exist for a chapter which also makes for a somewhat disruptive story (my opinion). Nevertheless, the book was well-paced and covered a lot of ground. I would certainly recommend ...more
Francie
May 08, 2014 Francie rated it liked it
This book didn't hold my interest as well as the first two at first, but once it started to record the struggles of the African American saints after the Second World War and through the Civil Rights movement, it was fascinating. And heart breaking. Reading of prejudice and racism among the Latter-day Saints saddened me. The courage and faith of those who struggled to stay firm in their faith and testimonies against such tremendous odds inspires me. I'm glad I had the chance to read this faith ...more
Amandalynn
Aug 24, 2010 Amandalynn rated it really liked it
I was a little more lost in this one in keeping track of the characters. It was still good however the first was my favorite. Its hard to imagine the priesthood not being held by any worthy man that race played into it. I couldn't help but think about a home teacher we had growing up and knowing at that time he had probably only held the priesthood for a little over 10 years he had an amazing testimony of the gospel. Reading this opened a door into a part of the gospel that isn't often talked ...more
Marilyn
Apr 22, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Of course, I had to read the last of this trilogy. The authors followed the posterity of the early pioneers and added many other people who were important to this true story. So there were many, many characters to weave in and out of the narrative. This volume was satisfying in many ways, leading up to the landmark revelation and tying up many threads. I would recommend this series to anyone who is interested in American history, pioneers, LDS church history, civil rights and/or an excellent ...more
Jodee Clark
Jan 16, 2012 Jodee Clark rated it it was amazing
This whole trilogy is great. This is a very forgotten piece of LDS history. Our black brothers and sisters fought hard and showed the greatest of patience and diligence and such faith in the midst of adversity. All of the other nationalities could take a page from their history and learn a lot.

I am grateful to have ready these books and feel myself more learned about our faithful pioneer ancestors.
Shellie
May 01, 2012 Shellie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this triology. However, this book was harder to follow because there were too many characters covering too wide of a time span. It is still a good book and I learned alot. I just think it should of been broken down into a couple more volumes. It wasn't as heavily researched as the other 2 in the series, relying mostly on personal memories. Worth the read.
Emily
Nov 03, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
This book was necessary after reading the first two, but it had much more of a "Okay, let's bring everything to the present and wrap up this series" feel to it. Some of the racist incidents were harder to read about, taking place in the not-so-distant past, but, to me, the overall message was still inspiring.
Kathy
Jan 25, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
I ended up really enjoying this series, although if I were to do it again I'd read book 3 before book 2. It would be more fun to end on the positive side of all the struggles of the black members of the church. This book got me more involved with the characters and I really liked that about it.
Rebecca altman
Feb 15, 2008 Rebecca altman rated it really liked it
Lots of time and places are covered in this book and while it was a bit misplaced it is still a terrific book and so well written. I think these books should be mandatory reading for all young LDS teens and adults. You will walk away from this series a different person, I did!
Sylvia
Jan 28, 2010 Sylvia added it
Fabulous conclusion but still so much work to do! I sure love President Kimball and it is amazing to see how the Lord works and the splendor he creates in our lives.
Cheryl
Nov 28, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This whole series was so eye-opening me and I will see so many things differently as a result of reading these books. Strongly recommend them to members of the LDS Church!
Joyce
Jan 25, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this trilogy of Blacks in Mormon History; I think especially because we served our mission among these people!
Andrea
Feb 12, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this trilogy. I went from not realizing there were black Mormon pioneers to really having respect and sympathy for their trials and triumphs.
An eye-opening series.
Kathi Olsen
Kathi Olsen rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2009
Colleen Holmquist
Colleen Holmquist rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Calvin
Calvin rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2008
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2008
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Kinde
Kinde rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
April Mitchell
April Mitchell rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2008
Eliana
Eliana rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Danna
Danna rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2009