Start by marking “The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1)

The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  129,856 ratings  ·  4,096 reviews
In the first-ever legal thriller by crime novelist Michael Connelly, author of the bestselling Harry Bosch saga (The Closers, The Narrows, Lost Light, et al.), ethically ambiguous defense attorney Mickey Haller's search for innocence in a high-profile case involving a young Beverly Hills playboy leads him to the ultimate evil...

A veteran defense attorney, Haller is unders
Audio, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published October 3rd 2005 by Little, Brown & Company (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Lincoln Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lincoln Lawyer

Will M.
I don't know where I will go or what cases will be mine. I just know I will be healed and ready to stand once again in the world without truth.

This is my very first 5-star rating of 2015. I've finally found a novel(in 2015) that entertained me throughout the novel. No slow moments anywhere, and the ending was superb. Characters were really likable and fully developed in the end. Mickey Haller is my favorite attorney, in novels at least.

This was my very first legal-crime novel, and I am ash
jo
this is my michael connelly tally so far: i have read two harry bosch and two mickey haller. i barely remember the harry bosch. the mickey haller dug a hole in my mind. this is not how things should be. harry bosch is michael connelly's hero. harry and i, though, do not connect; mickey and i are two peas in a pod. if he were real, i would very much like to be friends with mickey, though i doubt he'd want to be friends with me -- not because he wouldn't like me, but because he's the loner type an ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
I postponed reading The Lincoln Lawyer because I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama with excessive infodumps and tedious pacing. Boy was I ever wrong. Fortunately, my wife had the foresight to spring it on me as part of our annual must-read agreement for 2015.

The law was a large, rusting machine that sucked up people and lives and money. I was just a mechanic. I had become expert at going into the machine and fixing things and extracting what I needed from it in return.

Don’t misunderst
Mara
Feb 05, 2015 Mara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Dan 2.0, Richard
It's extra exciting when you read a book you enjoy and know that there's plenty more from whence it came (read: it's part of a series). Thus, I'm pretty darn pleased to have made the acquaintance of the eponymous Lincoln-riding lawyer, Mickey Haller.

Haller is a defense attorney of the “Better Call Saul” variety. Criminals need lawyers, and if their money's green… He's a likable guy—so likable, in fact, that neither of his ex-wives (prosecutor/baby mama Maggie McFierce, and super secretary
Stephanie
Ok, ok...I may have watched the movie before reading this book. It could be my old age or the fact that I've been working my butt off lately, but I may have watched the movie twice BEFORE even thinking about reading this book.

What can I say I like lawyer movies, and I like movies starring Matthew McConaughey, and I like movies starring Mr. McConaughey as a lawyer. I enjoyed the twists and turns the story took and wasn't sure they'd be as interesting in a book.

The thing is that while the book do
Tony
Jan 21, 2008 Tony rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to see how justice is preverted and served
Shelves: crime-fiction
"You're a sleazy defense lawyer with two ex-wifes and an eight-year-old daughter and we all love you."

That's not writing, it's a regurgitating a cliche, and this book is litter with them, like confetti at New Year's Eve. The trouble is that the over use of cliched speeches and actions obscure a page turner, a novel decked out with top flight characters and scenes place it on the top shelf of its genre. Overall, the book is worth reading, but you'll have to fight the cliche gag reflex at least a
James Thane
This is the book in which Michael Connelly introduced Michael Haller, a lawyer who works out of an "office" in the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car as he navigates the various courtrooms that dot Los Angeles County. Connelly got the idea for the character in a chance meeting at a Dodgers baseball game when he sat next to an attorney who did exactly that.

Mickey Haller is a bright guy who works all of the angles. Mostly he represents drug dealers, prostitutes and other low-lifes, but except for t
Sam Quixote
I got the idea to read this from Nicholson Baker's article against Amazon's Kindle device where he said he had to finish reading this on his Kindle (despite disliking doing so on such a shoddy device) because he had to know what happened in the end. I'm not predisposed toward legal/crime thrillers as I think they're a bit too melodramatic and sensationalist (I was thinking of John Grisham). However it's an unfair generalisation as I hadn't read any books from this genre. So I picked it up not ex ...more
Tea Jovanović
Ova knjiga me je oduševila dok sam je čitala još u rukopisu... Bolja mi je od Hari Boš serijala... :) A i film nije loš :)
Cathy DuPont
WOW! What a great read that was. Great plot; clear and interesting characters; action, something happening every page; twists and turns; did I say great plot?

To me it was one of the best books I've read in a long time and a first for me reading Michael Connelly. I've seen his name and books but never been too interested in the hyped and hightly marketed authors which I thought defined Connelly. I was just plain wrong. Connelly writes like I like and enjoy. He writes like a professional, clear a
Margitte
Loved this book. It is a reread for me. I couldn't remember much of it since my copy is so old there is not even a cover picture for it on GR. lol. The first read was a few decades ago. The second time around was as good as the first time. Brilliant book: entertaining, high drama, court - thriller at its best. Believable and realistic. My kind of book.
Magdalena
"The Lincoln Lawyer" is a gripping, character driven thriller, full of twists and turns that kept me interested right till the end.
Haller is one of those characters that you cannot help but like. He is full of attitude, charisma and charm that allows him to use and manipulate the system just enough to make money and keep clients knocking on his door. With Haller it is not so much about justice as making the system work in your favour.
And then that one case lands in his lap, the case that makes
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...so I'm surprised. I like this book. I picked it up out of curiosity and frankly don't even recall what it was that caused me that curiosity. But, I've found a good book and plan to go on to the next in the series.

This book is about a man who in many ways is nothing like me. I don't like the kind of music he likes. I probably would never espouse the belief and "ethical" system he does (view spoiler). I do
Val Pearson
I chose to review the audio book and in my opinion, if you're going to read this book in any form, the audio book is the way to go. Narrated by Adam Grupper, a voice is given to Mickey Haller that is a perfect fit. Mr. Grupper transitions between characters in an eloquent and believable manner. His enunciation and the fluidity with which he speaks is simply mesmerizing. I could listen to that voice all day long.

Michael Connelly has taken The Lincoln Lawyer above and beyond most thrillers out th
Ed
Great read. But I saw the movie first, then read the novel, a process that gave away some of the plot points. Oh well. The more hapless, fatalistic Mickey Haller in print differs from the cocky, slick attorney on the silver screen. So, I ended up liking the book more, although both make for first-rate entertainment. Mr. Connelly's writing is just so smooth, and I just flowed along with the story. I like that as a reader; I admire that as a writer. I'll be reading further in the series.
Bill
It's been a very long time since I last read Michael Connelly. Way back
when he was virtually unknown I had somehow heard about him and loved
his first Harry Bosch novel The Black Echo. In fact, I still have a print of Hopper's famous Nighthawks on my wall, which I was inspired to buy because of that novel.

I continued to follow Bosch through a few more novels, and they began to pale for me somewhere around The Concrete Blond.

Then came a new character with The Poet, which was fantastic. There were
Bill  Kerwin

A compulsively readable legal thriller about a cynical defense attorney who works out of his Lincoln town car (hence the title) and begins to believe he has finally found that most dreaded and improbable of all clients, an innocent man.

Although this novel has its share of darkness, it is much lighter in tone than Connelly's equally absorbing Harry Bosch detective novels. I found Mickey Haller's brash personality and breezy delivery an unexpected--and welcome--change.
Carol
Great book, but was disappointed in the movie.
Debra
Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "The Lincoln in question is one of a fleet in which Mickey Haller rides while doing business on the sleazier side of L.A. law. What's amazing about Michael Connelly is how much he continues to learn about the art of narrative from book to book. Each one is better than the last. And this one is — pardon me — a real Cadillac."

12/14/11. Finally getting around to writing a short note about my impression of this book. Seems I've been getting in a lot
Abhinav
Michael Connelly's "The Lincoln Lawyer" is a terrific page-turner that serves us a palate of thrilling courtroom drama to be savoured. It is also a fitting introduction to the character of Mickey Haller, a defense attorney who, despite all his failings, is very much likeable. Despite having watched the movie starring Matthew McConaughey before, Connelly's storytelling ability held me in its sway right from start to end while helping me to understand the details of the case much better. All in al ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

Finally have the time to put my thoughts on this novel that introduces Michael Haller - the Lincoln lawyer - down. This was a very enjoyable, fast, and suspenseful; all trademarks of author, Michael Connelly. Some twists I was completely blindsided, and that is a very good thing. I enjoy this series, but my heart belongs to Harry Bosch - Haller's half brother.

Michael (Mickey) Haller is working out of his Lincoln Town car and has a fleet of them. He is getting by and waiting for that "fr
Bookmarks Magazine

The Lincoln Lawyer, a legal thriller, departs both in character and genre from Connelly's crime-fiction series starring Harry Bosch. As it turns out, Bosch and Haller are half brothers__a convenient device to link the novel to Connelly's popular series. Critics agree that his new character__a man who finds holes in the system to aid guilty clients and is forced to question his own moral code__is just as compelling as Bosch. In fact, notes The Oregonian, the novel "seduces us into rooting for a g

Jim
This is one of the best books that I have read in the past few years. From the very first page, the reader can identify with Mickey, the protagonist, and what he has to go through to maintain his ambulance-chasing law practice and make a living.

Connelly has a taught thriller where the tension and the stakes are constantly going up. Mickey is a clever lawyer but sometimes too clever. His Golden Goose client turns out to be more than he had in mind.

Connelly shows that he is the master of the thri
Dagny
This was an amazing read. I expected to enjoy it because I'm such a fan of Connelly's other books, but since most of my series reads are law enforcement personnel, private investigators or at least amateur sleuths, I wondered how gripping this legal thriller would be. I feared I might get bogged down in courtroom scenes and testimonies, but they were fascinating and the out-of-the-courtroom scenes were incredibly suspenseful. There are some great characters and I am looking forward to the next b ...more
Dorothy
What can a defense lawyer do when he realizes that he has failed to recognize innocence in one of his clients? How can he sleep at night knowing that he failed that client and that he is now spending all his days and nights in San Quentin? Furthermore, what can he do when he realizes that the person really responsible for the crime for which that man was sent to prison is the person that he is currently defending on a charge of assault and battery and attempted rape? How can he begin to balance ...more
Jeff
As legal thrillers go this one is first-rate. It's a well-paced character driven story. The only regret that I have is that I had the movie tie-in version and had to look at Matthew McConaughey's movie star mug every time I picked up the book.
Michael Johnston
A taught, courtroom drama with a flawed anti-hero at its heart. This was an engaging page-turner. The genre and writing style remind me of Grisham, but the main character (Mickey Haller) is much more flawed than most of Grisham's characters. Connelly does a great job of creating and building suspense efficiently and then rushing to a sudden and somewhat unexpected ending.

Connelly clearly had a story to tell and one of my favorite things about the book is that he proceeded with effiency and direc
Barbara Mitchell
I won The Lincoln Lawyer from Kathy at www.bermudaonion.com along with a movie poster since the movie just arrived in theaters starring Matthew McConaughey. This casting seems right on to me, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to see the movie.

All in all, I liked this book. My problem with it was that I just couldn't stand the major character who I hesitate to call a hero. Mickey Haller is a defense attorney who owns four Lincoln Town Cars which he bought at once when he had a big-paying c
LJ
THE LINCOLN LAWYER (Legal Thriller-Los Angeles-Cont) – VG
Connelly, Michael – Standalone
Little, Brown, 2005 – Hardcover
Attorney Mickey Haller does most of his work from the backseat of his Lincoln Town Car. As a defense attorney, the ideal case is a franchise case, one that will pay big. He feels he's found that with his new client, Beverly Hills realtor Louis Roulet; accused of severely beating a woman. When Haller realizes the current victim looks very similar to the victim of a case from the p
Mark
Dec 16, 2012 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that enjoy exciting books
I admit having seen the movie with Mathew M. quite some time ago and finding it an enjoyable movie, a bit surprised there has not been a sequel as there are more books out there with the same character. That said the movie version was a much slicker person as the book person, and I enjoyed the book better than the movie.

This is one of those books you want to keep reading even if you are aware that you have important stuff to do, you keep reading on. I have seen the movie but forgot most of the p
Hall ape’s address to use that 1 3 Jul 28, 2015 11:14PM
Book or Movie; Yo...: June PR - The Lincoln Lawyer 1 2 Jun 01, 2015 04:34PM
Is this a good book? 485 1190 Feb 07, 2015 07:12AM
Book or Movie; Yo...: October PR The Lincoln Lawyer 1 4 Oct 01, 2014 11:02AM
Books2Movies Club: Lincoln Lawyer 03 - The Movie and the Comparisons 2 19 Jun 20, 2014 05:46AM
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
  • Buried Prey (Lucas Davenport, #21)
  • The Tin Roof Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Confession
  • The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #5)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Mickey Haller (6 books)
  • The Brass Verdict (Harry Bosch, #14; Mickey Haller, #2)
  • The Reversal (Harry Bosch, #16; Mickey Haller, #3)
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #20)
The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1) The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1) The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4) The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4) Blood Work (Terry McCaleb, #1)

There is no client as scary as an innocent man."

J. Michael Haller, Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles, 1962.”
89 likes
“I view people two ways. They're either eye-for-an-eye people or they are turn-the-cheek people.” 39 likes