Start by marking “Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee” as Want to Read:
Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee

Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee (Mr. Magee)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  312 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
One winter morning, Mr. Magee and his little dog, Dee, head out bright and early to learn how to ski. But what begins as a pleasant day in the snow quickly goes downhill when a run-in with a curious moose sends them flying through the air and hanging above an abyss! How will Dee and Magee find their way out of this snowy situation? Chris Van Dusen, the creator of Down to t ...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee

Sarah Hannon
Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee is a cute book that illustrates the story of Mr. Magee and his dog Dee who go out on a hill to learn how to ski. The story has elements of adventure and excitement when Mr. Magee and Dee run into a moose. This book could be used in a second grade classroom encouraging vocabulary development with words such as "succulent" and "ravine." After reading this story, we could discuss adventures and what to do if you get into a scary situation and the importance of staying ...more
Austin
Jan 19, 2011 Austin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently I read Learning to ski with Mr. Magee. In this book there are two main characters, Mr. Magee and Dee the dog. Early on a winter day Mr. Magee and Dee wanted to go skiing, so they went up to Mt. Snow. At the bottom of the hill there was a moose just out of sight. At the end of the hill Mr. Magee slid under the moose but the tips of his ski's snagged on a log and hung suspended above a ravine. Read the book to find out what happens next.
I thought that the pictures in this book were good a
Kate
I am such a sucker for a beautifully written rhyme! I couldn't read this book in my head, I had to read it out loud because the rhyming was so great. And the story was cute, too. Mr. Magee and his dog, Dee, have some skiing mishaps but everything turns out okay in the end. I just want to read this at a storytime so bad!
Robin Rousu
Slapstick skiing adventure in rhyme. The impeccable pacing and hilarious, vivid illustrations (the moose! the one where they are upside down!) make this an excellent read aloud. Highly recommended for ages 4-6.
Walker449
Feb 13, 2015 Walker449 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
exciting story

I liked the bridge part. Because the moose followed the bridge. Great paintings!
I loved that they skidded and popped up into the sky and landed safely.
Aug 28, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry-Picture Book, 2010

A fun rhyming story with great vocabulary words. Part of a series with other stories featuring Mr. Magee.
Courtney
Jul 15, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lol
Very entertaining story. Maybe you could use winter related themes when reading this book.Using fake snowballs, having the kids touch ice, etc.
Colin V.B
Dec 08, 2010 Colin V.B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One winter morning, Mr.Magee and his dog Dee decide to learn how to ski. But a pleasant downhill ski turns into a wacky adeventure that gets them stuck in a slippery situation with a moose,
"With a snort the moose leapt! The skis went SPRING!
They popped in the air with a ZIP and a ZING!
And up like a rocket shot DEE and MACGEE..."

The lively and funny rhyming are a like a blast to my childhood of when I would enjoy Dr. Seuss's witty rhymes. But, this book can be even more entertaining than a Dr. S
Michelle
Dec 27, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story & images. Holds the interest of my 4 & 6 year olds. Love it!
Elizabeth
Mar 08, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great rhyming book and so fun to read aloud!!
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very charming poem of a man taking his dog out to give a new pair of skis a try. He quickly learns that skiing is rather tricky and gets in (and out) of a tight spot with the help of a moose.

Excellent illustrations.
Gail
Jan 04, 2016 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Loved everything about it!
Yolanda
Jan 17, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Keenan R.
Jan 14, 2011 Keenan R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK! "Learning To Ski With Mr. Magee" is definitely one of my favorite pictures books ever! This book is about Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee going out to ski, but before he goes to the mountain he decides that he needs some practice. They decide to go to the hill across the street, but in the middle of skiing he runs into an unexpected guest.

I would recommend this book to any ages. It is fun for the whole family. It is hilarious and the illustrations are amazing.
Cheryl
May 22, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun with Mr. Magee and Dee

I loved this story about Mr. Magee and his dog, Dee. Fun, easy rhymes and gorgeous, clear illustrations make this a wonderful story for child and adult

I have twin grandchildren and I am sure they will be hearing all about Mr. Magee's adventures in the future.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My first grader loved this book. Mr. Magee decides to teach himself to ski, but he is not very good at it. The message to kids is that if they aren't very good at something, maybe they could take lessons or learn more before they dive right in.
Shelli
Aug 31, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Chris Van Dusen's brightly colored illustrations bring this silly story to life. Also teaching the valuable lesson that Skiing Lessons are a good investment before attempting to tackle anything more challenging than the Bunny Slope.
Brian Cave
Dec 17, 2011 Brian Cave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Magee and his dog Dee, are skiing when an curious moose bumps into them. Mr. Magee and Dee going flying through the air. There are now of a beaten path and must find their way back. They eventually are okay on this adventurous book.
Aleisa
Sep 25, 2013 Aleisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, Van Dusen is my latest favorite--love the retro look to all of his books--so, naturally, I loved this book. He has a few formulas that all of his books fall into but when they're so much fun to read? Who cares?
Michelle
Clever rhyming text and very well done colorful cartoon pictures tell a silly story about Mr. Magee, his dog Dee, and their unusual adventure. Fun to read out loud, and good humor for kids.
Lisa Nagel
Jul 06, 2011 Lisa Nagel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming-books, humor
Funny, great illustrations, witty humor and it rhymes too! I will definitely be adding this one to my winter theme picture books and reading this one to the kids this winter in the library.
Rachel
Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee are at it again! In this story, the pair going on a skiing adventure. The trip doesn't end up like the two expected! I would read this to first graders.
Nicole
This series is fun, fun, fun to read out loud to young children. The rhyming verse is also fun and reminiscent of Seuss. The illustrations are vibrant and a delight to look at
Alissa
Apr 03, 2013 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book was a laugh out loud hilarious book. We loved the illustrations too! Mr Magee is learning to ski when he quite literally runs into a problem with a moose.
Amanda Lamb
Mar 14, 2014 Amanda Lamb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever rhyming and charming illustrations. We fell in love with Chris' work in the Mercy Watson series. Quick read, can easily be done in one sitting.
Relyn
Jun 30, 2015 Relyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Chris Van Dusen
Mr. Magee is always a hit with students. It is full of terrific art and the super-silly plot lines beloved by the young and young at heart. Fantastic book!
The Library Lady
A patron loves these and asked me to get them. I am less in love with them, but the rhymes work perfectly, and art is nice.
Monica
Excellent rhyming and a humorous adventure. I'll definitely be checking out more of Van Dusen's books.
Kelley
Nov 16, 2011 Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe a 4... but it has a Moose in it! Fun to read... good pictures.... what's not to like. : )
Lauren Nahinu
Mar 16, 2013 Lauren Nahinu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My two year old is learning how to ski so she thought this book was fantastic! We loved it!
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Red Sled
  • Flashing Fire Engines
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • A Little Bit of Winter
  • Cold Snap
Chris Van Dusen writes: “I was born in Portland, Maine, on St. Patrick’s Day, 1960. As a child, my brothers and I would spend hours drawing pictures. We didn’t have video games or computers to entertain us, so we drew instead. One of my brothers would sketch intricate war scenes. Another would draw animals so realistic you’d swear they were breathing. My specialty was aliens, robots, and monsters. ...more
More about Chris Van Dusen...

Mr. Magee (3 books)