Start by marking “Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee” as Want to Read:
Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee

Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  30 reviews
One winter morning, Mr. Magee and his little dog, Dee, head out bright and early to learn how to ski. But what begins as a pleasant day in the snow quickly goes downhill when a run-in with a curious moose sends them flying through the air and hanging above an abyss! How will Dee and Magee find their way out of this snowy situation? Chris Van Dusen, the creator of Down to t ...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee

Austin
Recently I read Learning to ski with Mr. Magee. In this book there are two main characters, Mr. Magee and Dee the dog. Early on a winter day Mr. Magee and Dee wanted to go skiing, so they went up to Mt. Snow. At the bottom of the hill there was a moose just out of sight. At the end of the hill Mr. Magee slid under the moose but the tips of his ski's snagged on a log and hung suspended above a ravine. Read the book to find out what happens next.
I thought that the pictures in this book were good a
Poetry-Picture Book, 2010

A fun rhyming story with great vocabulary words. Part of a series with other stories featuring Mr. Magee.
Courtney
Very entertaining story. Maybe you could use winter related themes when reading this book.Using fake snowballs, having the kids touch ice, etc.
Colin V.B
One winter morning, Mr.Magee and his dog Dee decide to learn how to ski. But a pleasant downhill ski turns into a wacky adeventure that gets them stuck in a slippery situation with a moose,
"With a snort the moose leapt! The skis went SPRING!
They popped in the air with a ZIP and a ZING!
And up like a rocket shot DEE and MACGEE..."

The lively and funny rhyming are a like a blast to my childhood of when I would enjoy Dr. Seuss's witty rhymes. But, this book can be even more entertaining than a Dr. S
Keenan R.
I LOVED THIS BOOK! "Learning To Ski With Mr. Magee" is definitely one of my favorite pictures books ever! This book is about Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee going out to ski, but before he goes to the mountain he decides that he needs some practice. They decide to go to the hill across the street, but in the middle of skiing he runs into an unexpected guest.

I would recommend this book to any ages. It is fun for the whole family. It is hilarious and the illustrations are amazing.
Relyn
Jan 09, 2014 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Chris Van Dusen
Shelves: lawsonland
Mr. Magee is always a hit with students. It is full of terrific art and the super-silly plot lines beloved by the young and young at heart. Fantastic book!
Cheryl
Fun with Mr. Magee and Dee

I loved this story about Mr. Magee and his dog, Dee. Fun, easy rhymes and gorgeous, clear illustrations make this a wonderful story for child and adult

I have twin grandchildren and I am sure they will be hearing all about Mr. Magee's adventures in the future.
Lisa
My first grader loved this book. Mr. Magee decides to teach himself to ski, but he is not very good at it. The message to kids is that if they aren't very good at something, maybe they could take lessons or learn more before they dive right in.
Shelli
Chris Van Dusen's brightly colored illustrations bring this silly story to life. Also teaching the valuable lesson that Skiing Lessons are a good investment before attempting to tackle anything more challenging than the Bunny Slope.
Brian Cave
Mr. Magee and his dog Dee, are skiing when an curious moose bumps into them. Mr. Magee and Dee going flying through the air. There are now of a beaten path and must find their way back. They eventually are okay on this adventurous book.
Aleisa
Well, Van Dusen is my latest favorite--love the retro look to all of his books--so, naturally, I loved this book. He has a few formulas that all of his books fall into but when they're so much fun to read? Who cares?
Michelle
Clever rhyming text and very well done colorful cartoon pictures tell a silly story about Mr. Magee, his dog Dee, and their unusual adventure. Fun to read out loud, and good humor for kids.
Lisa Nagel
Funny, great illustrations, witty humor and it rhymes too! I will definitely be adding this one to my winter theme picture books and reading this one to the kids this winter in the library.
Nicole
This series is fun, fun, fun to read out loud to young children. The rhyming verse is also fun and reminiscent of Seuss. The illustrations are vibrant and a delight to look at
Alissa
This book was a laugh out loud hilarious book. We loved the illustrations too! Mr Magee is learning to ski when he quite literally runs into a problem with a moose.
Amanda Lamb
Clever rhyming and charming illustrations. We fell in love with Chris' work in the Mercy Watson series. Quick read, can easily be done in one sitting.
The Library Lady
A patron loves these and asked me to get them. I am less in love with them, but the rhymes work perfectly, and art is nice.
Monica
Excellent rhyming and a humorous adventure. I'll definitely be checking out more of Van Dusen's books.
Kelley
Maybe a 4... but it has a Moose in it! Fun to read... good pictures.... what's not to like. : )
Lauren Nahinu
My two year old is learning how to ski so she thought this book was fantastic! We loved it!
Laura Z
This book even got a few chuckles!! Great illustrations to go along with the story.
Jessica
Hattie and I absolutely love this one! The verse as well as the pictures are wonderful!
Andrea Estelle
Hilarious!!! It would be a great storytime read. My boys loved this one!!!
Kim
Funny story about mr. Magee, his dog and a moose. Great for family storytime
Kamicarlson
Cute rhyming story and darling illustrations!
Andrea Wilkinson
Great tale with wonderful illustrations!
Mslogar
My kids love all of the Mr. Magee books!
Julie Worsham
A
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)
  • The Busy Tree
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Red Sled
  • Big Chickens
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • Over in the Meadow
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • Two Little Trains
  • Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!
  • Cloudette
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Clap Your Hands
Chris Van Dusen writes: “I was born in Portland, Maine, on St. Patrick’s Day, 1960. As a child, my brothers and I would spend hours drawing pictures. We didn’t have video games or computers to entertain us, so we drew instead. One of my brothers would sketch intricate war scenes. Another would draw animals so realistic you’d swear they were breathing. My specialty was aliens, robots, and monsters. ...more
More about Chris Van Dusen...
The Circus Ship If I Built a Car A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee Randy Riley's Really Big Hit If I Built a House