Start by marking “Mount Analogue” as Want to Read:
Mount Analogue

Mount Analogue

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  711 ratings  ·  66 reviews
In this novel/allegory the narrator/author sets sail in the yacht Impossible to search for Mount Analogue, the geographically located, albeit hidden, peak that reaches inexorably toward heaven. Daumal's symbolic mountain represents a way to truth that "cannot not exist," and his classic allegory of man's search for himself embraces the certainty that one can know and conqu ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Overlook TP (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mount Analogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mount Analogue

Jimmy
It's a miracle that this book even exists. A book we were never meant to have, existing only in myth. A fever of a dream, but with all the details intact, specific, and so real. Like ending up in a dream without leaving the real world behind, both in terms of the trivialities of living as well as the logic that never approaches dream logic. An amalgamation of science, philosophy, myth, humor, and clear thinking, yes with the translucent, almost invisible, clarity of a 'paradam' that suddenly ben ...more
Oscar
El escritor francés René Daumal (1908-1944) dejó inacabada su segunda novela, ‘El Monte Análogo’ (Le Mont Analogue, 1944). Murió de tuberculosis dejando esta obra en mitad de una frase, literalmente. La presente edición de la Editorial Atalanta, recoge el texto de Éditions Gallimard de 1972, que incluye los apéndices y planes que tenía Daumal para terminar la novela. Se trata de una historia de aventuras, ciencia ficción, metafísica, filosofía y viaje iniciático, que, pese a no tener una conclus ...more
Eddie Watkins
Here's someone I've been meaning to read more of for years, but all I succeed in doing is rereading again and again this book that the author never finished. I don't quite agree that it's complete enough as it stands, but its incompleteness does have the advantage of stimulating one's imagination, of being like a temptation that is never satisfied but is ever alluring. At least that's why I can rereread it.

The tone of the book is of a hybrid between spiritualist/occult tract and adventure tale
Sienna
I was delighted to find a copy of this and another long-sought-after book in a secondhand store in Dunedin last week. Slightly battered and time-stained, Daumal's slender little volume also at some point provided a home for bookworms... literally. They left pointillist patterns across the lower portion of each page; if I hold it up just right, it's like starlight.

For a "metaphysical adventure" that ends mid-chapter, mid-sentence, mid-thought, Mount Analogue failed entirely to set off my bullshit
S©aP
Prende le mosse ideali dalla disciplina (si può ancora usare questa parola?) dell'alpinismo, per avventurarsi in una fantasia esoterica in senso lato. Ha il pregio di una pulizia di altri tempi (fu scritto negli anni '40) e il difetto di essere incompleto (l'autore morì di un'affezione polmonare prima di completare il testo). Il mio non è un giudizio di merito, ma di gusto. Nel rispetto dello scrittore-poeta e filosofo francese, il suo libro non ha incontrato la mia sensibilità. Per altre vie, e ...more
Nate D
Jul 18, 2011 Nate D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: And you, what are you looking for?
Recommended to Nate D by: mythic guides M.K. and B.B.
A kind of theoretical adventure story, where the protagonists work with ingenious logic backwards from the supposition that the recurrent myth of the mountain to the heavens (Olympus, Sinai, Babel) must imply an actual such mountain, and if such exists where and how could it exist so as to avoid detection until now? And then, of course, they go there. With a great deal of totally fascinating discussion of everything within Daumal's reach: philosophy, psychology, folklore, physics, all wrapped up ...more
Catherine
"I am dead because I lack desire,
I lack desire because I think I possess.
I think I possess because I do not try to give.
In trying to give, you see that you have nothing;
Seeing that you have nothing, you try to give of yourself;
Trying to give of yourself, you see that you are nothing:
Seeing that you are nothing, you desire to become;
In desiring to become, you begin to live."
Allen Riley
Daumal's mountain holds none of the mystery, dread, or sense of expanded consciousness of Stapeldon's Star Maker, Melville's Moby Dick, Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym or Lovecrafts At the Mountains of Madness. It's not handled with the same level of seriousness. The book has a farcical tone - and I use that word because the sense of humor seems silly and quaint to me.

The best point of comparison is with Pym because both books are silly and pointless romps through the ocean that end in vagu
Nathaniel
"The fire that kindles desire and illuminates thought never burned for more than a few seconds at a time; in between, we tried to keep it in mind."

Daumal's unfinished novel is an allegory in homage to illumination and profound thought. It is a book about seeking and responsible open-mindedness. The vehicle for Daumal's consideration of intellectual liveliness (the actual plot of the story) can seem frivolous and distracting or a bit thinly veiled; but there is humor in it and a quick pace.

The "T
K.
This made me shriek and curl up into a ball with sheer joy.
"Julie Bonasse, between twenty-five and thirty, a Belgian actress. She was having just then a considerable success on the stage in Paris, Brussels, and Geneva. She was the confidante of a swarm of odd young people whom she guided into paths of sublime high-mindedness. She said, 'I adore Ibsen' and 'I adore chocolate eclairs,' in the same tone of mouth-watering conviction. She believed in the existence of the 'fairy of the glaciers,' and
Ero
Nov 16, 2007 Ero rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all vampires
one of my favoritest of all.

i've been rereading it and will continue to, for most of my life.

an interesting movie to watch after having read this:
The Holy Mountain, by Jodorowsky. pretty much the same plot, only with the addition of torture, giant tarot cards, jesus-face-flesh-eating, decapitated animals, and bathing hippos.
Suketus
Varsin veikeä seikkailukertomus, jossa etsitään salaperäistä Mont Analogueta, vuorta, jota kaikki eivät voi löytää. Tarina on syvä ja kiehtova, harmillista, ettei kirjailija ehtinyt kirjoittaa sitä loppuun ennen kuolemaansa. Toisaalta nyt jää lukijan oman mielikuvituksen varaan miettiä, kuinka kaikki päättyy ja mitä Mont Analogue lopulta merkitsee.
M.
This is fantastic, even being incomplete. Daumal's at his best when he's wandering, and this book is a quintessential wander as a whole. This is also, I think, completely different from Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain despite being the inspiration. I'm tempted to say it's better, but I really, really like the second fourth of Holy Mountain (though I mostly hate the rest of it). I have a net art project planned directly inspired by this. I am definately interesting in reading more Daumal.
Cloudbuster
Racconto fantastico ed un po' folle di uno straordinario viaggio "non euclideo" di un gruppo di pittoreschi alpinisti alla ricerca del Monte Analogo, il monte più alto di tutti gli altri, il collegamento tra Terra e Cielo e percorso ideale per il raggiungimento la perfezione. La prima parte del racconto è molto divertente, con la preparazione del viaggio e l'esposizione delle presunte prove scientifiche sull'esistenza del Monte Analogo, sullla sua posizione e sulla spiegazione del perché mai nes ...more
Nick Fagerlund

"It isn't easy to explain-- there's a book called Mount Analogue by René Daumal that tells all about it. Just take my word for it."

I always did just take the Chicken Man's word for it, but it looks like I didn't have to, because Mount Analogue turns out to be completely real. (Shout out to rushthatspeaks for the tip.)

The book is unfinished, which is frustrating and which also makes it somehow eternal.

There's a fragment from the endmatter that gets stuck in my head from time to time. "There at th

Gary D.
Uncompleted, it was a very promising start.
M. Cornelis van der Weele IV
I had never heard of René Daumal before this. This book, essentially, was an accident for me. I stumbled across it on Wikipedia late one night in relation to Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and, finding the brief synopsis interesting, made it my goal to give the book a shot. Such random occurrences, in my experience, have always proven quite fruitful.

The trick, of course, is that Daumal died before the book was finished, rendering the work somewhat incomplete and almost impervious to review. One
amine
Premièrement, regarder The Holy Mountain d'Alejandro Jodorowsky. Deuxièmement, chercher les sources qui ont inspiré ce film. Troisièmement, trouver que c'est un maître Zen japonais, du LSD donné au acteurs pendant le tournage, et Le Mont Analogue de René Daumal. Donc voila.

J'ai emmené ce livre avec moi au cours de l'ascension d'une petite montagne pour garantir l'effet "symbolique" mais il a été plus abîmé par la pluie qu'autre chose - ce n'était donc pas une bonne idée lol.

Le Mont Analogue est
Franklin
Something always draws me back to reading this unfinished book. There's some sort of draw in reading it even though each time I get to the end I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed.

Here are a few bullet points about what draws me back:

The words and sentences Daumal uses are absolutely gripping. He has a way of putting very complex thoughts into easily readable prose. I remember being blown away when I first started listening to Bob Dylan, but Daumal does it better.

The idea of the novel is th
Terresa
The unfinished ending (mid-sentence!) felt jarring. I wanted to finish the climb but it's the unfinished journey that parallels this book, imprints the mind, leaves us unsung and wanting.

Do we deserve tidy endings? And as Daumal would likely ask, who are we anyhow? (Not our names or occupations, mind you, but more.)

A bow to Daumal, this book is lasting.

Some quotes:

“In the troubled depths of my memory of myself, a little child is awakening and makes the old man’s mask sob.”

“When your feet will
Brendan
I've been reading René Daumal's Mount Analogue. It's trippy, distinctly French, and highly entertaining. It's every bit as goofy as the title suggests, but it carries a poignant (and misguided) message underneath.

Mount Analogue is (appropriately) an unfinished work. It describes a fantastic expedition to the title mountain, a symbolic link between the human and the divine. In order for it to epitomize this link, the base of the mountain must be accessible to all humanity, but its heights unatt
Faedyl
Review desde Bookcrossing:

EL HORROR! (LOL)

Este libro pertenece a un género de literatura que ya nos es un poco ajena a nuestra experiencia, por tanto, si lo vas a leer con ánimos de diversión te encontrás en problemas. No sólo aburre sino que carece de sentido, intenta llevarte por un viaje espiritual y no lo consigue... o sea sólo leer por curiosidad o investigación. Espero que te guste esta imagen de EL HORROR :P
William
Uhhh.... coooool! I don't understand the ending, then again, I didn't understand much at all. It's like the New York Trilogy meets Jules Verne. Weird stuff. Definitely something I'll have to read and pay closer attention to next time. What a magical journey!
Katy
A bit too much about actual mountain climbing for me. Was disappointed that the book had not been finished by the author. Nevertheless, several interesting takes on the nature of the spiritual journey.
Derek
5 for concept, 3 for execution, talked about it more here: http://5cense.com/14/372.htm
David S. T.
This was a quick read, I think I read the entire thing in a little more than two hours. I really wish Daumal was able to finish it, it is noticeably incomplete, but its complete enough to make it worthwhile. I didn't really pay close enough attention to the philosophical messages (they're there and its obvious), but I found the story engaging and liked how he went about it. I was much more interested in stuff like how the Mountain is undiscovered and how they found it than I was in the stuff abo ...more
Sean
Daumal's second (and unfinished) novel involves a small group of adventurers searching for the fabled mountain of the title, with a couple of 'stories-within-a-story' thrown in. It's a quick and fairly easy read and Daumal's Gallic wit also makes for a humorous one.

It is a bit eerie when you reach the end, because the book stops in mid-sentence, like a telephone conversation cut short. Daumal's wife adds a few sketches of how the novel may have progressed, as an afterward, but it still doesn't t
Danya
A beautiful novel by Rene Daumal, "Mount Analog" was an inspiration for Alejandro Jodorowsky, who made the film "Holy Mountain".

The only thing that I disliked about this book is that the tale got cut off, leaving the reader in the middle of the slowly unfolding delightful story. Some may argue, however, that it adds romantism to the book, but I can't really agree with them. It's a shame that the author didn't get a chance to fully express his thoughts.

I am rating this book 5/5 and adding it to m
Quinn
I saw the end to this book slip out the back, leap off its pages, and take to the wind. I'm grateful to know that the end is out there somewhere, even if I, and Daumal himself, did not have a chance to reach it. This is not a book which merely ends mid sentence. This is a journey which goes beyond its covers and takes itself up in you. The last step depends on the first.

There is no book as wonderful as this, and if one does exist, it is as difficult to spot as a pearl upon a milk white brow, or
Hermetic Library: Introduction 3 37 Nov 12, 2012 09:21PM
Hermetic Library: Inaugural book club selection and first post! 2 22 Jun 24, 2012 08:43AM
  • Locus Solus
  • The Planetarium
  • The Impossible
  • Last Nights of Paris
3020747
René Daumal was a French spiritual surrealist writer and poet. He was born in Boulzicourt, Ardennes, France.

In his late teens his avant-garde poetry was published in France's leading journals, and in his early twenties, although courted by André Breton co-founded, as a counter to Surrealism and Dada, a literary journal, "Le Grand Jeu" with three friends, collectively known as the Simplists, includ
More about René Daumal...
A Night of Serious Drinking Pataphysical Essays The Powers of the Word: Selected Essays and Notes, 1927-1943 Le Contre-Ciel You've Always Been Wrong

“A knife is neither true nor false, but anyone impaled on its blade is in error.” 10 likes
“I think I possess because I do not try to give,
Trying to give, I see that I have nothing.”
1 likes