Start by marking “I Love My Pirate Papa” as Want to Read:
I Love My Pirate Papa

I Love My Pirate Papa

It's a yar vessel that can carry this crew of burly pirates, the captain, and his scrappy little son. From the crow's nest to the hold, from the high seas to the island of buried treasure, this boy hangs out with the mostrough-and-tumble of rogues. And at the end of each day, he gets tucked in by the fiercest pirate of them all: hisloving and tender dad.

This lyrical pict

Published September 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Love My Pirate Papa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love My Pirate Papa

Elizabeth S
Jan 17, 2016 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-lib
Cute enough, just nothing special to raise it above average. And the artwork was not to my taste.
Jason Cantone
Oct 14, 2016 Jason Cantone rated it really liked it
I enjoy this, as does my 3-year-old so it's a win.
Madison
Oct 03, 2016 Madison rated it liked it
What is a pirates greatest treasure? Learn new pirate terms as you follow the story of a pirate papa and his son. Discover in the end, that the captain's greatest treasure is his son.
Emma
Pirate storytime
Elena Hitch
Feb 16, 2012 Elena Hitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I Love My Pirate Papa is a good story for young children. The story is told from a little boy’s perspective that lives on a pirate ship. His father is the captain so the little boy gets to participate in all the pirate activities throughout the day. The boy talks about his relationship with his father when they do things like put on his earring, raise up the flag, and walk on the plank. The children would be able to relate to the story because many kids put their parents on a pedestal when it ...more
Camille Ryckman
May 08, 2014 Camille Ryckman rated it really liked it
Brief summary A child recounts how pirate papa spends his days being a great dad.
Annotation This book is a great read, with the norms of a pirate being reinforced for his own child.
Age appropriateness This is a good book to read with a 3-7 year old
Connection to six early literacy skills This book does a good job at touching on all of the six early literacy skills. I especially like how it has a rhyming pattern to the text, it used pirate specific vocabulary to extend learning.
It hits on the Five
J-Lynn
Jun 01, 2010 J-Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story where a pirate talks about all the stuff he gets to do with his pirate papa--things like jump off the plank, learn to read the letter X, help dig up treasure, and hang the Jolly Roger. The story is told in rhyming rhythm.

This would be a fun companion read with How I Became a Pirate by David Shannon or Papa is a Pirate by Katharina Grossman-Hensel.

The illustrations are acrylic and mixed media. They are bright cartoons that show an adorable little boy and his rough looking pirate papa
Lisa Echols
Apr 06, 2015 Lisa Echols rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pirate-storytime
I love this story! Told in rhymes, a pirate tot details his day with his father, the captain of pirate ship. The whole book is entertaining, but the last pages, where the pirate captain reads a bedtime book to his son from a chest and then tells him that he has plundered the seven seas his whole life but that his boy is his greatest treasure...it will bring a tear to your eye. At storytime, I watched one dad reach around and snuggle his son in close and I had a lump in my throat!
Kristen
Mar 08, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
A must 'look it' for Stephanie H.!! This is definitely a treat! In fact, I will own this book. In addition, I do own this now and the more I look through it, the more I discover aspects that are fascinating. One being, you can look at only the pictures and retrieve engaging material and enjoyment. Moreover, the words heighten the true effect of this beautifully composed literature.
Shelli
Jan 31, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A super fun read aloud about a pirate boy and his loving pirate captain father. I loved that no matter how rough and tough the occupation, a father can have his soft affectionate side for his son. The story was complimented all the more with the colorful, fun illustrations that really added to the personality of the character.
Ronster
Dec 03, 2007 Ronster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-1
Children's picture book and poem. A little pirate shares a day in the life of a pirate's son. The paintings in this book are great and kids will love the poem. You've got to love pirates!! Use as a fun read alound and art lesson. The paintings show good texture, color and expression.
Rosa
Jul 21, 2012 Rosa rated it really liked it
A little boy tells us what it is like to live with his pirate papa. Rhyming text makes it fun to read. The pictures are a little on the darker side color palette wise but they are very pretty paintings.
The Library Lady
Oct 12, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is for every little boy (or girl!) who imagines being a pirate. What a papa--simultaneously a fierce buccaneer, but also as sweet and tender to his son as the Wiggles "Captain Feathersword". Kids will love it and parents will too.
(Though I'd like to see an "I Love My Pirate MAMA" sequel!)
Anna
Jan 13, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it
I'm so over pirate books but this one was very cute. The illustrations are very well done and it's written in rhyme, too hard to resist.
Kim
Sep 09, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: father, pirates
Excellent little pirate story. So many pirate books are overly long, but this one is a good length for pre-schoolers. The father plotline is really sweet, and the rhymes are really pleasant.
Paula

A pirate's son shares the things he loves about his father, including climbing the mast together to yell "Land ho" and sharing the booty when they find buried treasure.
Sherry
Jan 11, 2013 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book, I love it! Although a pirate's "arrgh" voice is needed; it is a fun 'story telling' book as well.
Andy
Aug 11, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it
A fairly short book with good rhymes and quirky art. Might be a good Storytime book...
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Jonah Hartman
Dec 11, 2014 Jonah Hartman rated it really liked it
It was pretty cool because the kid pirate, in his room, had a sword and a lot of gold.
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Kristy McRae
Kristy McRae rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2009
Brindi
Brindi rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Storytime Elizabeth
Storytime Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2010
Denita
Denita rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
  • Bubble Bath Pirates
  • Pirates Love Underpants
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Stuck in the Mud
  • Hogwash! (Wilson, Karma)
  • The Birthday Box