Start by marking “The Ultimate Resource 2” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Resource 2

The Ultimate Resource 2

"The most powerful challenge to be mounted against the principles of popular environmentalism in the last fifteen years."--The Washington Post Book World (on the first edition)Arguing that the ultimate resource is the human imagination coupled to the human spirit, Julian Simon has led a vigorous challenge to conventional beliefs about scarcity of energy and natural resourc ...more
Published July 21st 1998 by Princeton University Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Resource 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Resource 2

Hans-Peter Merz
Aug 28, 2012 Hans-Peter Merz rated it it was amazing
So I am not alone?

Grown up in a social environment where everybody was convinced that the end is near ( the end of oil, nutrition, oxygene, resources of all kind ) I always had the strong feeling that more people on earth are more solvers and not more problems. Today I even look forward to a world with two billion more inhabitants and try to imagine what we could deal with, if only we could manage to educate maybe 25 percent of them properly.

Simons Ultimate Resource is the first book I got at ha
Art King
May 24, 2008 Art King rated it it was amazing
The most important book I read in my 20's. Turned my "conventional wisdom" upside down. Has renewed relevance today in the midst ofa repeat of the energy crisis "sky is falling" of the late '70s
Jim Carson
Nov 12, 2010 Jim Carson rated it did not like it
Simon's optimism hinged on his willful ignorance of what the word FINITE actually means. See his sections on oil and copper, where he declared they aren't finite in a "practical" sense because they can never be measured precisely. He used a perverse example of fractals to illustrate the point on copper, i.e. theoretical infinite division of a line somehow means resources can be infinitely divided. Those are the musings of a madman, not a visionary.

The state of the world debunks most of his clai
Bryan
Feb 14, 2007 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
The magnum opus of one of the great contrarians.
Andrew Wilson
Jul 22, 2013 Andrew Wilson rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, I thought, "Has any other human being read every chapter, endnote, and afterword?" I suppose there must be someone. If you are that person, please tell me. Regardless of whether anyone else has actually read all 617 pages, and I did not read the footnotes or bibliography which together take up more than 100 pages, the book is fascinating. If you are looking for an emotional novel, avoid this. It is facts. It is analysis. It is charts. And it is irrefutable.

The agitator in m
Beth Haynes
Apr 26, 2009 Beth Haynes rated it it was amazing
Julian Simon has become one of my heroes. This book provides detailed data and analysis of economic facts in regard to the quality of life on earth and man's use of resources. We are not running out of resources...just the opposite. The facts do not support the doomsters fears, and the solution to our environment, problems is more freedom, and greater development. Any honest person who claims differently must address the plethora of data presented here by Simon.
Bob
Mar 26, 2009 Bob rated it it was ok
I was reading this in 1998 when Dr. Simon died. I hope the oaths I spoke as I read didn't contribute to his demise. He is now in a world where economic substitutability is unconstrained by physical limits. I learned a lot about what I still find to be a flawed model.
Eric
Feb 10, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
A scholarly work, by an economist, on how it is doubtful that almost anyting the doomsayers have been saying is likely to come to pass.
Neil Rempel
Jan 18, 2016 Neil Rempel rated it it was amazing
Just the best!
Sean Mero
Sean Mero rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
C. Townsend
C. Townsend rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Betsy Speicher
Betsy Speicher rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Tunguskas
Tunguskas rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
John Waterman
John Waterman rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2011
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Robin Riester
Robin Riester rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
James Huston
James Huston rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Doug Murdoch
Doug Murdoch rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Sheryl Tribble
Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Justin Raade
Justin Raade rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2008
George Mazurek
George Mazurek rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Dan Knorr
Dan Knorr rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Frederick Ford
Frederick Ford rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Josiah
Josiah rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Russell Snow
Russell Snow rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Merchants of Despair: Radical Environmentalists, Criminal Pseudo-Scientists, and the Fatal Cult of Antihumanism
  • The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire
  • The God of the Machine
  • Why Businessmen Need Philosophy
  • The Man Versus the State
  • Power Hungry: The Myths of "Green" Energy and the Real Fuels of the Future
  • The Bourgeois Virtues: Ethics for an Age of Commerce
  • The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure: Why Pure Capitalism Is the World Economy's Only Hope