Whispering To Witches

Whispering To Witches

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,041 ratings  ·  106 reviews
A fantasy writing with strong plot and vivid characters.
Published September 6th 2004 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Whispering To Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispering To Witches

Gone by Michael  GrantUnwind by Neal ShustermanThe Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Books that should get more attention
224th out of 1,571 books — 1,993 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Wishing Spell by Chris ColferHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Potential Fantasy Classics
49th out of 199 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Adrienne Savoldi
When I first saw this book, I was around twelve years old. I didn't want to read it. I saw it again in college when I was a page at a public library. I checked it out, but never got around to reading it. Then I checked it out for a fantasy project on which I am working, and I am so sorry I didn't read this book sooner. Anna Dale's writing is charming. It's not Harry Potter, though it does take place in England. I love her witches because they are stereotypical witches, yet not at the same time,...more
Neil
I have no idea if this is one of those books that was published on the crest of the Potter wave, but I feel it suffers because of the existence of old Harry and his mates. The basic setup of boy meets witches is different enough as is the execution, but it lacks a lot of the flourishes Rowling brought to her series. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - this is a different story entirely, after all - but a lot of the kids in my class found the plot progressing entirely too slowly for them....more
Terra
Apr 15, 2008 Terra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children and adults
Whispering to Witches by Anna Dale was a truly enchanting story for all ages. If you or your child like The Wizard of Oz then you most likely love this book. A pure bewitching tale with lots of magic.

Joe Binks is just your ordinary boy living with dad as mum has remarried. Being quite ordinary it is fun when on his way to mum's for Christmas holiday he is singled out by a witch and given a special item of which he has no idea of having such a thing.

Twiggy is a little girl witch who is in trainin...more
Ame
Good book for youth. It was entertaining and a quick read.
Nesa Sivagnanam
Joe slid, face first, underneath a desk, narrowly avoiding a pair of square-toed black shoes with shiny silver buckles. A cat screeched in his ear and sprang on to his back. It sank its claws through his blazer and into his flesh. Joe rolled over to dislodge the cat, which hissed and spat as it leaped on to an armchair.

So begins the real adventure of Joe Binks when he journeys to Canterbury to spend what he thinks will be a dull holiday with his mother, stepfather and 7-year-old sister. Getting...more
Riffana
I first read this book around maybe ten years ago,and something about it still makes me pick it up at the library from time to time until now. I read the other reviews before writing this, and I think that alot of people mentioned harry potter. Funny thing is, the thought of harry poter never crossed my mind. I am a huge fan of harry potter and i think that i never thought of these two books together because even though both has witches, they are dealing with very, very different type of witches...more
Matthew
I agree entirely with the sentiment of the other reviewers that this is a book that suffered for the existence of Harry Potter. On the other hand, Harry Potter might have been its saving grace at the same time. This is definitely from the same genre and it was published at about the same time, so the HP comparisons are inevitable, but this is also the book that fans of HP would have picked up fresh from one of his adventures simply because they wanted to read a bit more of this semi-realistic ch...more
Holly
I loved this book. A cute story about a young girl that stumbles upon a witch coven and a boy she has to team up with on an adventuresome ride involving witches, brooms, magic, mystery and just plain wholesome fun. I really wished this was a series, or the story had continued but it did not. I love reading children's fantasy books, and I thought this was a cute read. I guess that's why I'm a childrens librarian =)
Eccentrika
Molto piacevole l'atmosfera natalizia che si respira in questa storia, ambientata in una nevosa cittadina inglese, dove solo la descrizione ambientale basterebbe a far percepire la magia nell'aria. Ma ecco che invece le magie ci sono sul serio, dato che la cittadina è abitata da molte streghe...
La trama di questo libro l'ho trovata carina e piuttosto interessante, anche se poteva essere scritta meglio, ci sono scene un po' confusionarie, dove non si capisce "cosa sta succedendo e a chi", ma a p...more
Stephanie Ruby Hollaway
I think i read this book a hundred times as a kid!!!!!! It never gets old- LOVE it!!!!
Emma
I was gonna give this book a 4 star rating but then I thought wait a minute I read and reread this book between the ages of 7-11 so what would me 7-11 self rate it and she would give it 5 stars because it's the book that I would keep rereading it and borrowin it from the library I finally bought the book now that I'm 14 because I remember how much I loved this story and I want to reread and relive my favourite book from my childhood it has such an amazing story and I loved it so much let's hope...more
Glimmerfee
Joe muss die Weihnachtstage bei seiner Mutter und ihrer neuen Familie verbringen. Während der Zugfahrt trifft er auf merkwürdige Menschen und zu allem Übel steigt er einen Bahnhof zu früh aus und muss sich auf einem Dreirad auf den verschneiten Weg nach Canterbury machen, doch das Dreirad hat ein Eigenleben und bevor er sich versieht, landet er in einem Hexenhaus und wird in das größte Abenteuer seines Lebens verwickelt.
Ein sehr schönes Buch, das Kinderherzen nicht nur zu Weihnachten höher schla...more
Mariana
A really sweet and good book, one that will definitely be on my top ten. A little hint about what the story says is that there is this boy, Joe, who is on his way to another place in England, to stay with his mother and step father. Joe is sad to leave his father, because he was really anxious to spend Christmas with him, and as his great aunt is in hospital after being involved in an accident, it looks like it will be a journey to Scotland that won't be a short trip around the bend. As soon as...more
Franziska
Actually it was by chance that I bought this book. I saw it on ebay and thought "what a nice cover"...well I am kind of bibliophilic, so books have to look good in order to get on one of my shelves, not to mention they have to be hardcover...But, I went to amazon and looked up what ratings the book had and bought it. New and unharmed I got it just for 2€.

And it was really luck that I got it so cheap, because it was such a sweet book! Of course it is children's literature, but it was fun to read,...more
Urooj
I usually think that single books are annoying or "unfinished",for I read mostly full series,but this book,well,it just got me.I loved every moment of it.It's an excellent book and I wish there were more like this.
Denise
It's a cute book. As an adult reading this I found it full of moments that gave me a child~like curiosity as to how things will resolve themselves.
I understand how this would be a fun story for kids to read.
Ellie
May 26, 2014 Ellie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone aged 8-12
5 stars
I read this quite a while ago and I remember loving it! I'd like to read it again and see what I think now.

'''''''''''

I can definitely see what I liked so much, it's lovely!

I am changing my rating to four stars, not because I have anything negative to say (certainly not) but just because now that I'm older, the very simplistic plot is less enthralling than it was when I was 9.

All the same, I'd definitely recommend it to younger readers regardless of whether or not they love fantasy. I th...more
Sandie
This was a charming little book. I think it would appeal mostly to younger up to pre-teen kids rather then teens/young adults.
Its about a non-magical boy who gets caught up quite by accident in a magical world, complete with witches and sprites, spells and broomsticks, and talking animals. There is some mystery and mild peril here, well to me as an adult it seems mild. However, to a young child I am sure it will seem to be much, much more.
If you enjoyed Harry Potter, this story has many of the...more
Bonanza Jellybn
Charming, inventive... mindful, of young minds, and yet not boring... an altogether lovely little book. Sweet, kind... dare I use those words! So usually are they the mark of death to interest. But the story, simply is... and they are correct to use.
However... sweet, kind... badges of honor in this case!
Because this is a story well thought out in a manner that is inventive, rare. I appreciate the purposeful forethought in figuring out ways to soften the blows of evil done, and evildoers ends.....more
Anna
When I was younger I used to love all things magic, witches, powers, ghosts, etc. Thinking about it know I still do.

I remember being in Waterstones with my parents and sister when I was younger and we was allowed to choose a few books. I was very excited and ran to the children's section. Whispering To Witches was the little treasure I choose to take home with me.

It is a magical, enchanting, pleasurable read and is easily one of my all times favorites books. I have never gave it away and to this...more
Aline
Read this when I was little, love it still today :')
Rebecca
Rounded up from 3 1/2 stars
Alyssa Joyce
I picked this book up from a book sale because I love Harry Potter so much. And I thought it would be like harry potter but it wasn't. But it was really really good though. I loved it!
Maharet
Una bella favola magica e natalizia per bambini (forse più bambine che bambini), leggera, garbata, semplice e piacevole: è un libro breve, ma capace di far rilassare il lettore per qualche ora, trasportarlo in quest'atmosfera piacevolmente calda ed avvolgente.
E' uno di quei libri perfetti per riprendersi magari da qualche bel tomo complicato e pesante: leggero senza essere banale, rilassante senza essere vuoto.
Lo consiglio soprattutto se avete bambini e volete qualcosa da leggere insieme a loro....more
Simon
An evil plot is underway to rid Britain of its witches. A non-magical boy named Joe accidentally gets caught up in the intrigue, and with the help of a local witches’ coven, widely regarded as Britain’s worst, he sets about trying to save the witches from their impending annihilation. This is an enjoyable adventure, with the right mix of action, suspense and comedy. It’s probably best reserved for the target age group (8-10), but there’s nothing to stop us big kids from reading it too.
Rachael
I really enjoyed this one. A cute story about a boy who gets introduced to a group of friendly witches and joins his young witch friend as they unravel a mystery in the magical world, dealing with a dangerous witch. I couldn't help comparing this British story about witches with Harry Potter, but this is not a copycat novel. A totally different feel as it is more intertwined with the real world, and is less dark and complicated. Still fun and fascinating, with a good surprise ending!
Carina
Apr 09, 2011 Carina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
I bought Whispering to Witches at a book-fair that was held at my school years ago and couldn't be more happier about buying it. This book is definitely marketed for younger kids (possibly even pre-teens) but nonetheless at my age, I enjoyed it thoroughly! It has a kind of cute and whimsical feel to it which reminded me of the earlier books in the Harry Potter series, but this book truly stands on its own as a story that's one of a kind.
Ana
Aug 05, 2010 Ana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: magic
I read this book when I was 10 years old (well, close to my 11th). I'd already gotten into the pleasure of reading by then. I read it when I was on holiday with my parents. I absolutely loved it. After the Harry Potter series, Whispering To Witches is my next favorite book with wizards/witches. This says a lot, huh? Well, I think everyone should read it! An easy read for all who want to relax, reading a book in one day.
April
Joe goes to Canterbury by train. He has a strange encounter on the train and gets off at the wrong station. In the process of getting to his mother's house he comes into contact with a coven of witches. It leads to an unusual adventure over the next few days. Twiggy a young witch becomes Joe's friend and the two try to find and save the 513 page of Mabel's famous spell book.
Rachel
I read this book to my 9 year old daughter. We were both pretty bored with it most of the way through. Right at the end though it all came together and got pretty exciting. I liked the story, but I think it could have been a bit more interesting and exciting throughout. I'm also confused as to why anybody would even compare this to Harry Potter. It is completely different.
  • Elliot and the Pixie Plot (Underworld Chronicles #2)
  • Attica
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • The Wizard's Statue (Circle of Magic #3)
  • Seven Sorcerers
  • Dronningens Tåre (Historien om Mira, #2)
  • Doctor Illuminatus (The Alchemist’s Son, #1)
  • Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3)
  • La bambina della sesta luna (La Bambina della Sesta Luna, #1)
  • Quadehar The Sorcerer (Book of the Stars, #1)
  • The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • Saga från Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #3)
  • The Runaway Dragon
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Circle of Heroes (The Familiars, #3)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
Spellbound Dawn Undercover Magical Mischief