Blank-133x176
Weasel

Cynthia C. DeFelice

Weasel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The name has haunted my sleep and made my awake hours uneasy for as long as I can remember. Other children whisper that he is part man and part animal -- wild and blood-thirsty. But I know Weasel is real: a man, an Indian fighter the government sent to drive off the Indians -- to "remove them." Weasel has his own ideas about removal...Now that the Shawnees are dead or have...more
Published October 1st 1991 by Perfection Learning

To ask other readers questions about Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weasel

Kathryn
This was a cute kids' book. I wish it had been in my elementary school curriculum, especially as it deals with some very tough issues, such as death, killing and morality — but all on terms that a young child could understand.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was how the women seemed so helpless. Nathan's sister seems unsure and scared throughout most of the book, and his mother, though a healer, dies of a fever. It would have been nice to see a strong female person in the book.
Lori Mcmullen
Looking forward to using this book in my eighth grade language arts classroom.
Lilly
such a creepy book [in a good way]
Chris Murray
Summary:

Before the age of twelve, Nathan Fowler comes face-to-face with evil. He and his younger sister, Molly, have long heard murmurings about the man the Shawnee Indians call Weasel. Then, on a dark Ohio night in 1839, a speechless stranger knocks on their cabin door and beckons to Nathan and Molly.Ezra, who has lost his wife--and more--to Weasel's savagery, leads Nathan and Molly to their missing father, another of Weasel's victims. The next morning, Nathan returns home alone to feed and car...more
Hao He
The name of the book is Weasel by Cynthia C. DeFelice I like this book because of all the trist and turn of the book when you think you know what's going to happen it all changes. The setting of the book has several locations because the characters have been moving from one place to another. The setting in the book includes the woods, the cabin, and the town. The main characters in the book includes Pa, Ma, Molly, Ezra, Nathan, and Weasel. Nathan is their son, Molly is the daughter, and Pa and m...more
Miss Amanda
gr 4-7 119 pgs

1839, Ohio. 11 year old Nathan and his younger sister Molly are waiting in their cabin for their father to return when a mysterious stranger carrying their mother's locket, appears. He seems to want them to go with him, but is unable to speak. Nathan decides to trust him and discovers that the stranger has been helping his injured father. His father was attacked by "Weasel", a murderer who lives in the woods....

sequel to this book is "Bringing Ezra Back"
Stevie Seber
I quite enjoyed reading this story when I was in school, it made me cry at parts and it also made me laugh, like when Nathan said something funny and Ezra smiled and his ears wiggled; it's a very good book, short but a full and entertaining read. I greatly hope I can someday find a copy of this book, as I really enjoyed reading it.
Mursal
SPOILERS*****This was a good book, but definitely really creepy at the ending scene with Weasel in his house. Its odd how at the end, the boy finds him dead, but doesnt know how he died. I wish the author expressed if Weasel was sorry for scaring the boy, or if someone else killed him. Very detailed and hard-core work!!!
Mary
In Ohio, in 1839, most of the Shawnees are gone - chased off the land or killed by the Indian fighters to make room for the settling farmers. But two of the government's Indian fighters remain, and their lives have been permanently changed by the work they were sent to Ohio to do. Both men live alone. Ezra has adopted many of the Shawnees values and ways of living, but killing Indians has unleashed some sickness in Weasel, who terrorizes settlers by night and sleeps all day. Eleven-year-old Nath...more
Julie Suzanne
It's been a while, but I remember thinking this is a great one for the boys especially. A quick read, pretty suspenseful, & coming of age, as I recall. The fact that I just saw it and remembered it keeps me from giving it a 5, because surly I couldn't have forgotten it if it were amazing. I need to get this into the hands of my kids pronto!

Update 2012: Just recommended this to a 7th grader who is liking it, and trying to get my 6th grader to read it. I read it again, and I'd say it's a good...more
Dotty
Have you ever heard of the legendary killer Weasel? Like the animal, Weasel hunts by night, sleeps by day, and kills for the sport of kiling. The local legend says Weasel is part man and part animal, wild and bloodthirsty. Children never know if Weasel is real or just a story to scare them.
11 year old Nathan knows that Weasel exists. In 1839 Nathan and his sister Molly are approached by a strange, mute creature carrying Mama’s locket. This locket is a keepsake that Pa carries around his neck. P...more
Helen Beesley
This is a fabulous book full of lessons. I read it to my 6th grade class and they loved it, and we had some awesome discussions over what makes a man a man, revenge, and seeing the good side of things.
Emily
"Weasel is real: a man, an Indian fighter the government sent to drive off the Indians--- to "remove them." Weasel has his own ideas about removal..."
Candice Pedersen
This is a pretty good book. I read it out loud to my 5th graders, as I do most of my books, and they seemed to enjoy it. The ending however is kind of boring. The climax of the book happens about 25 pages from the end and the ending is just a little bit disappointing. The kids said the ending was kind of sad and depressing and were looking for another book that would have a better ending. Not that there was a book needed, they just felt unfinished with parts of the story.

But overall they did enj...more
Jacob Bennett
Weasel is the story of Nathan Fowler, a 12 year old boy in the 1800's when Shawnees soon after the Indian removal act. Nathan and his sister, Molly, have been waiting for their dad to come home for a week, and they're all alone since their mother died a year ago. One night, a white man dressed like an Indian comes to their house and leads them to their father, who was hurt by a cruel man named Weasel. Nathan swears revenge on Weasel and The story goes on from their. I really enjoyed the book and...more
Volkert
This book was a Young Readers Choice nominee many years ago. It's an excellent historical fiction adventure set in Ohio in the 1830s, when Weasel has finished driving away the Shawnees, and turns on the settlers who followed. An 11 year old boy's father is missing, and he and his sister discover he is recovering from serious wounds at the wigwam of a mysterious white man. Although this is an action-packed adventure, this book is about forgiveness.
Star
If you need to hook a reluctant reader this is the book. It has suspense, danger, fighting, and history all rolled into one tight little package.
I would recommend to a teacher that you do a little bit of background research, or have the students, on the Indian Removal Act of 1830. This background really helps to set the stage and aide kids in understanding why Weasel did what he did (at least initially).

When I taught 5th grade I used this as a read aloud, fantastic.
Muhammad Maan
The Title of the book is Weasel and the auther is Cynthia C. DeFelice.I think i really like this book the way all things heppen step by step and mystry.I think the main setting of this book is a 12 year old kid has to face a man name Weasel.Weasel likes to kill settlers from around hi place who ever comes to settle close to him he kills them.And there is a man name Ezra who has his toung cut out and he helps this kid to fight Weasel.i would definatly recomand this book to other kids because this...more
Courtney Schafer
I read this with my son for his book report. Was a bit intense for him. I felt it was a bit anti-climatic with the Weasel/Nathan resolution.
WKWyverns
4W got this book talk first.
Bob Vonstreudelstein
The plot of this book is interesting to fans of historical fiction. And for others, it's still a pretty darn good book. It's the story of a group of pioneers and an ex-native American removal specialist trying to survive the terrors of a native American specialist gone rogue whose name is the same as the title of this book. He now just kills anyone who gets in his way. I won't give away the shocking ending to this great book. Until next time,

Yours sincerely ,

Bob VonStrudelstein
taylorannclark!:)
This book was VERY scary, yet GROSS, and a little sad, BUT A BUTT LOAD OF ADVENTURE! BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE HALF MAN HALF WEASEL! HE IS FREAKY!:) I would suggest thus book to middle schooler and up. This book takes places A LONG TIME AGO! it is about like a 13 year old boy, and his younger sister, they live in a house with thier dad and a LOAD of animals. The mother of the house passed away from a diease a couple of years before this story.

KEEP UP THE GOOD READS!
-cutiepie0455
Skyler Hansen
In the book Weasel by Cynthia Defelice Nathan and Molly live in a cabin deep in the woods. They are taken to thier injured father, Pa by Ezra and find out about Weasel a man who slaughters animals and people for the fun of it. Weasel later dies in the book. I really liked this book because it was fun, adventurous, and exciting. I would recomend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure, excitemeInt, and scary books.
Robiendamix
The plot of this book was predictable. I predicted that weasel was going to die. Book is interesting. The reason why this book is interesting is because there's a guy trying to kill the other characters. I read this book and in think that it should have more adventure. I don't recommend this book because it didn't have that mech adventure and action.
Luis AGUILAR
this book is about a type of weird animal that killed a mans family and he also cut the mans thong and he cant talk so one day a man goes huntting for some food and the animal sets a trap and he takes the gun of the man and the kid wants to take revenge of the animal and when the kid wants to kill him he is already dead.
Anna
2.5/5
Concept was good, but it was written poorly. I felt that the writing would just be turning good (flowing well and sounding nice) when a random sentence would appear and completely ruin it.

Also, they call Crabapple a boy and a girl in this. And that just kind of bothered me.
Wendy
I read this book as a kid - one of the most memorable stories that I read during that time. It is a story set in early Ohio history as a boy becomes a man. When his father is found injured Nathan has no choice but to follow the silent man and bring his sister along.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 5297 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.0 - AR Pts: 4.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, LS, VP
Brynn
This book got a little slow towards the end, but the story was able to convey an important perspective on people moving into Native American territory in the 1800s and the issues to be found therein. Also a good story to show the type of life such settlers experienced.
Steven
This book is about a boy named Nathen who has a little sister named Molly. One day there father goes hunting and doesn't come back. So Nathen and Molly set out to find there father and met a man so terible that even his name spells out terror.
Weasel.
  • Jason's Gold
  • Cages
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • Power Of Un
  • Shades of Gray
  • Streams to the River, River to the Sea
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • The Man Who Was Poe
  • Halfway to the Sky
  • The Dead Man in Indian Creek
  • The Serpent's Children (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #1)
  • Journey
  • The Ghosts of Mercy Manor
  • Titanicat
  • Someone Was Watching
  • The Midnight Fox
  • Gleam and Glow
  • Immigrant Kids
Cynthia DeFelice is the author of many bestselling titles for young readers, including the novels Wild Life, The Ghost of Cutler Creek, Signal, and The Missing Manatee, as well as the picture books, One Potato, Two Potato, and Casey in the Bath. Her books have been nominated for an Edgar Allen Poe Award and listed as American Library Association Notable Children's Books and Bank Street Best Childr...more
More about Cynthia C. DeFelice...
The Ghost of Fossil Glen Wild Life Signal The Missing Manatee The Ghost and Mrs. Hobbs