Start by marking “Revenge of the Lawn: Stories, 1962-1970” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Lawn: Stories, 1962-1970

Revenge of the Lawn: Stories, 1962-1970

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,697 ratings  ·  154 reviews
A collection of 62 very short stories set in 1960s California, particularly around the author's home town of San Francisco. Richard Brautigan is the author of "Willard & His Bowling Trophies", "Trout Fishing in America", "In Watermelon Sugar" & "A Confederate General From Big Sur".
Revenge of the lawn --
1692 Cotton Mather newsreel --
1/3, 1/3, 1/3 --
The gathering of
Published June 27th 2000 by Rebel inc. (first published June 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Lawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Lawn

Jacob Pickering-Esquibel
Sep 14, 2007 Jacob Pickering-Esquibel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every one
I found this book on a dusty shelf and took every word down like water. This book was just as thirsty as I was. Let have a drink together I said!
Brian

A compilation of works that are more flash fiction than short stories, Brautigan's unique voice is displayed in 62 pieces set in San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest. Too many of the stories feel like the first brush strokes of a bigger work - abandoned and stacked like the detritus of a forgotten childhood an attic to be discovered and published 50 years later. Here's what I mean: one of the stories, "The Gathering of a Californian", is four paragraphs long - 1/2 of page - and it reads like
Ketabism.Ir
Larry Bassett
Brautigan died of a “self-inflicted gunshot wound” at the age of 49 in 1984. Up until that moment, he was one of my favorite living authors. I was distressed.

He was brought up in poverty and suffered abuse. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and clinical depression in his early 20s and was treated with shock therapy. He was an alcoholic. Trout Fishing in America was published in 1967 and made him famous.

He had one daughter, Ianthe Elizabeth Brautigan, born in 1960. Her one book You
shawn
Apr 14, 2010 shawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
in lieu of any review, let me just present the text of one of my favorite stories from this collection.

"PACIFIC RADIO FIRE"

The largest ocean in the world starts or ends at Monterey, California. It depends on what language you are speaking. My friend's wife had just left him. She walked right out the door and didn't even say good-bye. We went and got two fifths of port and headed for the Pacific.
It's an old song that's been played on all the jukeboxes in America. The song has been around so lon
Afshar
اهالي ادبيات يا آنطور كه خودشان مي گويند :ادبياتچي ها ، حتمن برايتگان را مي شناسند و خيلي هم راجع به اين نويسنده آمريكايي حرف مي زده اند و مي زنند البته طيف ديگري هم هستند كه راجع به او حرف مي زنند كه همان مثلن روشنفكران ريغووی مو قشنگ و در مورد خانومها خانومهاي كچل مانتو قشنگ هستند كه بگذريم اما چرا اين هر دو دسته را نام بردم و با اينكارم جان خودم را به خطر انداختم
من وقتي مي خواهم با نويسند ه اي آشنا شوم اول خوب اطلاعات جمع مي كنم راجع به معروفترين و بهترین كارش و مي روم درست سراغ همان بهترین
Vit Babenco
“My grandmother, in her own way, shines like a beacon down the stormy American past. She was a bootlegger in a little county up in the state of Washington. She was also a handsome woman, close to six feet tall who carried 190 pounds in the grand operatic manner of the early 1900s. And her specialty was bourbon, a little raw but a welcomed refreshment in those Volstead Act days.
She of course was no female Al Capone, but her bootlegging feats were the cornucopia of legend in her neck of the woods,
Maciek
A sweet collection of short tales that are surreal, comical and dark, often at the same time. Richard Brautigan might be read as an opposition to great American literature, which is of course packed with great, intelectual and complex text, which critics and scholars spend their life analysing. Brautigan's stories are most unusual and humorous and simply weird; he's not that interested in creating an impact on any sort of culture or style, but simply wants to evoke certain emotions in the reader ...more
Zahra
براتیگان ِدیوانهی لعنتی ِدوستداشتنی ...more
Arghavan
Aug 15, 2013 Arghavan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: تمامیِ براتیگان‌دوست‌های جهان :-"
شصتودوتا از داستانهای کوتاه براتیگان توی این کتاب هست. داستانکوتاههای خیــلی کوتاه؛ میانگین دوصفحه! اکثراً توصیف یه تصویر، یا یه اتفاق کوچیک ه. «داستان»ِ خاصی نیست؛ بیشتر نثر براتیگان، خلاقیت براتیگان ه که باعث میشه آدم به خوندن ادامه بده. اگه کلاً براتیگاندوست نیستید، نخونید ترجیحا. حوصلهتون سر میره. :یشصتودوتا از داستانهای کوتاه براتیگان توی این کتاب هست. داستانکوتاههای خیــلی کوتاه؛ میانگین دوصفحه! اکثراً توصیف یه تصویر، یا یه اتفاق کوچیک ه. «داستان»ِ خاصی نیست؛ بیشتر نثر براتیگان، خلاقیت برا ...more
Narges Moini
May 15, 2013 Narges Moini rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Narges by: Arghavan
Shelves: دارمش
هر روز كه دوست من مي رفت سر كار، مي ديد سگ يك خرده بيشتر مرده است. از وقت مردنش خيلي گذشته بود اما سگ اين قدر سرش گرم مردن شده بود كه ديگر راه مرگ را گم كرده بود. اين دور و برها خيلي از پيرپاتال ها اين جوري مي شوند. بس كه پير مي شوند و با مرگ زندگي مي كنند، وقتي لحظه ي جان دادنشان مي رسد راه را گم مي كنند.
Maryam
بعد از پس باد [] بهترین براتیگان ـیه که خوندم. انگار تیکههای مختلف از داستانهای مختلف رو رندوموار جمع کرده کنار هم. خیلی خوبه. :] ...more
Kye Alfred Hillig
So No, I don't love him because we are both Tacoma people. This man is truly one of the greatest writers I have ever had the chance of reading. It certainly doesn't hurt that a lot of Revenge of the Lawn is based out of my city but it wasn't the big sell. Brautigan's blend of sad humor is so rich that I can't help but love him. He is so great and yet doesn't seem to see any of it. So it goes.
Lee Foust
I loved these witty, perceptive, and frequently startling little slices of life. Particularly enjoyed the way Brautigan was always able to surprise me with an unexpected simile, an odd turn of phrase that always created a startling beauty, a bare truth that slapped me back awake from the world's endless dreary, stupefying rattle and hum. Precious little gulps of water in a world starved for something cool and clear. You should read them. Really.

Side note to my fellow San Franciscans: my SF is lo
Alireza
دیوانه-ی این دیوانه-ام
Ryan Werner
These stories - written between 1962 and 1970 - range from surreal and dark to whimsical and weightless, usually all at once. Results vary, but brilliance is apparent.

Even though it’s important to revise work and emphasize the “craft” part of narrative craft, there’s something to be said of first drafts. To call the stories in Richard Brautigan’s 1971 collection Revenge of the Lawn (Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-671-20960-4) “raw” or “perfectly flawed” doesn’t really do the stories justice. Most
Paul
Well here's another review no one will read. Another few K tossed into the giant pool of Internet detritus. The stories in this book are really short; they're probably about 2 pages average. They're more scenes and/or images than actual stories with plot or established characters or any of that. So you'd better be really good at getting down to the heart of things in absolutely no time flat, which Brautigan absolutely is. Some of the stories work less well than others, but Revenge of the Lawn is ...more
Ben Loory
some of the early stories in this collection-- the ones that really come together at the end-- are among the best i have ever read. "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" and "Pacific Radio Fire," for example. many of the other stories read more like fragments but are still fascinating because it's brautigan and he'd can't write a sentence without it breaking your heart and making you laugh.

here's the entirety of the story "Trick or Treating Down to the Sea in Ships":

As a child I used to play at Halloween as if I were
Judy Lindow
Brautigan can display a picture, draw a character, and tell a story-antidote, like no other. His work is like a polaroid with twin powers of malaise and the brilliance of what it means to be human. Humanity, freshly lit and and at once mired with quirks, indecision, screwy habits, amazement and flush with fantasy. Unpredictable metaphors are: whimsical, poignant, and always stealth. Who will ever know if these koans are more often inspired from drinking or sitting?

I'd forgotten that there were
Matt
"'It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play the violin.' That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver."

The Scarlatti Tilt in its entirety. One of many bizarre short stories in this collection from a very gifted story teller.
I picked up an old copy of this book while I was in Paris, France on vacation back in 2008. I was drawn to how strange the cover was, and I bought it based on a glimpse of the authors unique writing s
Bud Smith
Yes, this made me irrationally happy. One story in particular called "The Literary Life in California/1964", stood out above all the others. Seek it out, right now.
Jarret Lovell
There's something wonderful about Richard Brautigan's writing that places him among my favorite authors - with REVENGE OF THE LAWN being at least the 5th work of his I've read. Brautigan writes in simple, even folksy prose, adopting the voice of someone who at times is a childlike wide-eyed lover of life, and at other times a person who recognizes that the world doesn't always deliver on its beauty. Still, his work is so poetic that he exposes the beauty in even the tragic.

To be sure, Brautigan
Mat
Great selection of funny, sad, weird and quirky short stories from a beat generation writer who should be as well known as Jack Kerouac.
Brautigan makes me confident that anyone can write a short story given you have a few original ideas and a few spare hours at night to chip away at it.
I especially love the short story about his daughter hearing him tell and retell a story about himself from his childhood over and over and over again and she never gets sick of it. This was even more enjoyable
Howard
The quality, innovation and incisiveness of this little 1971 collection of short stories made my jaw drop at times. Brautigan is grouped with the Beats like Kerouac, Bukowski and Burroughs, and I can't believe I've overlooked him so long. Some of the writing (and humour) is dated but a lot of it is timeless. 'I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone' is hands down the best thing I've ever read about the feeling of love / infatuation.
Amir
هیچوقت نفهمیدم براتیگان قصدش داستان نوشتنه یا سرکار گذاشتن. قیافه اش هم از اون قیافه هاییه که با جدیت شوخی می کنن. گذشته از این حرف ها عکس برگردان پرچم آمریکا شروع بی نظیری داره تو این مجموعه. هیچوقت فراموشش نمیکنم
Sara
Non sono mai riuscito a capire il senso degli ombrelli perché a me non dà fastidio bagnarmi. Gli ombrelli per me sono sempre stati un mistero soprattutto perché non ho mai capito come fanno a comparire proprio prima che inizi a piovere. Il resto del tempo sono assenti dal paesaggio, come se non esistessero. Forse gli ombrelli vivono per conto loro in piccoli appartamenti nei sotterranei di Tokyo.
Gli ombrelli sanno quando sta per piovere? Perché, a quanto mi risulta, la gente non lo sa. Le previs
Marshall Kavanaugh
Someone told me to read Richard Brautigan a while ago, commenting that some of my poetry reminded them of him. He's got this attention to minor details that not many authors can pull off, especially not with as much wit. I love his awkwardness and way of expressing his loneliness and depression in such a light hearted way. You get the sense from his writing that though life can be tough, there's a lot of funny memories to the journey.

I really enjoyed the chapters about fishing and all the flash
Richp
"And now for something completely different ..." This book certainly fits that category. Since most of the pieces are very short, this makes a great bathroom book, to be enjoyed in pieces over the course of a month. I lasted a few hours. I did know something of what I was getting into, having read Trout Fishing in the late 1970s, and one of these stories some months before I read this, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. Not all the stories are the best, so don't give up if you d ...more
Hamid
ترجمه کتاب روانه و خیلی راحت تونستم بدون توقف روی کلمات و جملات نامأنوس پیش برم و کتاب رو در زمانی کوتاه یعنی طی چند روز در تاکسی و مترو محل کار و منزل تموم کنم. همذات پنداری بالایی با داستانهای کتاب داشتم. خود داستان اتوبوس پیر که ماجرایی است که در اتوبوس رخ میده رو من هم در وبلاگم شبیه اش رو نوشته بودم. سالها قبل از اینکه از این داستان براتیگان اطلاع داشته باشم. البته که کوتاه تر و با پرداختی ضعیف تر بود داستان من. مطلب آخر اینکه برای من که تمرین نوشتن میکنم درسهای زیادی برای تکنیک داستان نویس ...more
Hansen Wendlandt
The title story to Revenge of the Lawn is simply brilliant comedy, with no apparent purpose save the value of laughter: “They had devastating hangovers... suddenly one of the geese noticed that he did not have any feathers. He informed the other geese of their condition, too. They were all in despair." (13) Coffee takes a deeper turn, expressing moments of existential subtlety, again through humor: "Sometimes life is merely a matter of coffee and whatever intimacy a cup of coffee affords." (33) ...more
  • You Can't Catch Death
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • The Circus in the Attic and Other Stories
  • Quite Early One Morning
  • Great Dream of Heaven
  • Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
  • The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake
  • هفته‌ای یه بار آدمو نمی‌کشه
  • Aliens of Affection: Stories
  • Stories V!
  • The Power House (Sir Edward Leithen, #1)
Richard Brautigan was a 20th century American writer. His novels and stories often have to do with black comedy, parody, satire, and Zen Buddhism. He is probably best known for his novel Trout Fishing in America. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1984.

More about Richard Brautigan...
Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar In Watermelon Sugar Trout Fishing in America The Abortion The Hawkline Monster

“Like some kind of strange vacuum cleaner I tried to console him. I recited the same old litanies that you say to people when you try to help their broken hearts, but words can't help at all.

It's just the sound of another human voice that makes the only difference. There's nothing you're ever going to say that's going to make anybody happy when they're feeling shitty about losing somebody that they love.”
26 likes
“I have emotions

that are like newspapers that

read themselves.

I go for days at a time

trapped in the want ads.

I feel as if I am an ad

for the sale of a haunted house:

18 rooms