Start by marking “Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)

Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,190 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Dark magic, unknown enemies, monsters of every stripe—FBI profiler Jace Valchek has seen it all. In this bizarre parallel universe, shape-shifting werewolves and blood-thirsty vampires don't even warrant a raised eyebrow. That is, until Jace has to face what life might look like as one of them …

It starts off as just another run-of-the-mill assignment: to track down the rog
Paperback, 1st Edition, 324 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

yann Devraux
Oct 09, 2011 yann Devraux rated it liked it
I will not bother with recaps.
I will simply say I have mixed feelings about this one. While all the characters are still here and strong, and Charlie is back again stealing the show, this book is the clincher of a growing problem I have with the series. Namely, Jayce becoming a bumbling idiot whenever the plot demands it. The main selling point of the series for me is that every important character is both highly intelligent, and very, very complex. So when normally cynical enough to make Diogen
Mistress of the Dark Path
Imagine waking up one morning to be told you were going to an alternate earth, in a different dimension. Your earth being much like the one we know, but the other having some glaring differences. Oh, the countries and cities of this other earth appear much like our own, but other things are very different. The most obvious being the fact humans only make up one percent of the population. The other ninety-nine percent are vampires, werewolves, or golems. In other words, humans are a protected ...more
Justin
Oct 30, 2011 Justin rated it liked it
It was doing good up until the end.
All of the tension the book had built was turned into nothing by a convenient little deus ex machina. I feel as if I've had my hopes for change ripped out beneath me and replaced with normal, boring rug of status quo. Is it so much to ask for an episodic book series capable of evolving?
Shelley
*Rating* 4.0
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

Better Off Undead is the fourth novel in the Bloodhound files with our heroine FBI profile Jace Valcheck as the main protagonist. Jace, if you haven’t followed this series from the start, was taken from her own world by David Cassius the director of the National Security Agency, and brought to what she affectionately calls Thropirelem. Her mission: find and eliminate Aristotle Stoker who is the descendant of Bram Stoker and a known terrorist, then she wil
Ami
Quick plot recap for my personal purpose:

(view spoiler)
Rachael
Sep 05, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it
Life is proceeding as normal, at least as normal as it gets for Jace. In her ongoing attempt to turn Tair back into Dr. Pete, Jace finds herself thrown into the middle of the thrope mafia and an illegal vampire/golem trafficking scheme. At the same time, Jace is infected with the thrope virus and is battling for her humanity by the only means possible- the vampire virus. Now Jace is in a race against time to not only stop the trafficking and take down a mafia don, but also for her very life.

The
Wendy
My feelings about this book... *sighs* I don't recall Jace being this gawd damn annoying. Some of her ranting is such a waste of word space, and her jokes!!...she should leave that to her partner. Jace pretty much has free reign of whatever she does in this book without taking responsibilities for her own actions. Like...(view spoiler) ...more
Thenia
Aug 21, 2014 Thenia rated it really liked it
A very imaginative and fun read, keeping up with the previous books in the series.

The world is well built and elaborate, the characters multilayered and the story original and interesting.

Jace faces a great deal of trouble in this part of her story, fighting to keep her humanity while chasing bad guys and trying to figure out what's really going on. Her sense of humor remains undiminished and I especially enjoy her internal monologues. There have been a couple of turning points for her in this b
Ria
Oh Jace, how I've missed you! This series is the best kind of mental and I cannot believe I waited quite so long to pick up book 4.

By far, my favourite thing about this series is Jace's narration. The plots are always engaging and the supporting cast are fantastic but Jace and her snark always come out on top for me. As she faces impending lycanthropy, her humour and energy remain.

The eleventh hour 'development' came a little out of the blue (though arguably if I had read this soon after book
Mangrovejane
Apr 13, 2014 Mangrovejane rated it it was amazing
This was a surprise. I really did not expect to be as captured by this book as I was. It was clever, funny and thought provoking.

Werewolves, vampires, humans, an alternate universe, a sassy female detective with a straight man stoic golem as a partner, twists and surprises and political intrigue....I seriously could not put the book down and I could not have asked any more from an author.

I can't wait to read the next one and the three prior to this one. I may not sleep for a week but WORTH IT!
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 01, 2016 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it it was ok
Despite the fact that everyone has told her to give up on Doctor Pete, Jace is determined to kill Tair and bring back her friend. To that end, without securing back up, Jace attempts a magical rescue mission of sorts, only to end up scratched by Tair and no closer to Doctor Pete. Now Jace has to deal with the potential of turning into a werewolf - that is if her boss cannot cure her with vampirism. If that weren't enough to deal with, Jace now finds herself chasing down a mob boss gone rogue, as ...more
Reshy
Oct 23, 2013 Reshy rated it it was ok
Lycanthrope version of a Pregnancy Scare.

I dunno, I was rather disappointed in this book because it was predictable. It's like a pregnancy scare in other series, all drama with no substance. She gets scratched by Tair (Not bitten) and starts to turn, but that's okay because a bite from a vampire can kill the virus but probably kill you in the process. Don't worry though we can use magic to make sure you live through it but someone has to die. But don't worry about that either because the person
Miki
Oct 30, 2012 Miki rated it liked it
This review was first published on my blog Lecture Toute une Aventure
I really love this series but this book kind of disappointed me. The rhythm is still rapid, the action well described, the plot and investigation well written but the humour was not as present as in the first book while the romance is put up front.

Jace wants to help doctor Pete and still feeling guilty for what happened because of that she isn’t as cautious as she was in the first book ( and it was already quite a lot to say
Sarah (saz101)
Jace Valchek returns, and is back to form! Hopefully, if you're reading Better Off Undead (the fourth installment in the Bloodhound Files series), you're familiar with the story: FBI Profiler Jace Valchek is sucked into a parallel universe where the paranormal is normal. She needs to catch an insane human serial killer to get her ticket home. Here, as a human, she's an endangered species, but Valchek might just be getting her wolf on. Oh, and she needs to catch an insane werewolf mob boss, too.

A
Kc
Feb 06, 2012 Kc rated it it was amazing
So far, we've seen Jace tackle the challenge of going home. She was brought to Thropirelem against her will and employed to find and take down the bad guys. After doing that, she pursued the task of trying to get herself home via hunting down the man responsible for bringing her to Thropirelem in the first place. After having failed that, what's next?

Why, struggling with the challenge to keep her humanity intact while chasing after a mentally unstable man in power. As if a girl doesn't have enou
Amyiw
Feb 20, 2014 Amyiw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, x-2014
4 1/2 stars
I almost want to say to people, "if you liked the first book and don't like confusing alternate realities and timelines, skip book 2 and 3 and get a synopsis of what happened in them and move on to 4."

So book one has Jace being pulled from her reality, which is ours, to a reality that humans only make up 1% of the population. The Vampires, Lycanthrope, and Golems (Vamps, Thropes and Lems), don't understand human craziness but need to so they steal an FBI criminal psychologist from a w
Lesley
Aug 19, 2016 Lesley rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I love this series! I always wonder why more people haven’t read The Bloodhound Files because it has to be one of the best urban fantasies I’ve read. Not only are these books hilarious and action packed, but with Better Off Undead we also get a little romance. As always, the characters are awesome. Charlie is just as cool and deadpan as usual, and, although Azura wasn’t in this one, we get to spend more time with Tair, getting into his head and trying to figure out what has happened to
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Oct 20, 2011 Jessica (a GREAT read) rated it really liked it
DD Barant's latest in the Bloodhound Files was totally amazing! Better off Undead is probably gonna be my fave in the series so far! My mind was a little fuzzy on the details of last time, but I was quickly immersed into the plot and story of this book!

Jace is thrust into yet another case, but this time it doesn't involve Stoker, the serial killer she was asked to bring in. This time Tair, the man who was once Dr. Pete, is on the loose and helping another criminal. It's a little complicated to e
Mark
Jul 16, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I enjoyed delving once again into the world of "Thropirelem," as FBI profiler Jace Valchek calls it, an alternate Earth where magic is very real, and vampires, werewolves and golems make up the majority of the population, and humans like new arrival Valchek are in the one percent minority. Only when Jace catches a human serial killer who has wreaked havoc across this strange new world will she be transported back to her own Earth home.
However, Valchek may not be human for very long when she's wo
LadyTechie
Oct 23, 2011 LadyTechie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This series just gets better and better. I am thinking the alternate, swapped realities, in this series is really original. I have not read all there is out there in the Urban Fantasy genre but, I have not seen anything like it and I love it. I put off reading this latest book for a while and then I began it and within the first few minutes I wished I had not put it off.

I forgot how funny D. D. Barant is, even when he is writing the most kick-butt scene. Yes, I said he. I really thought the aut
Jed Moulton
Sep 02, 2012 Jed Moulton rated it it was amazing
ok so the Vegas mission did not go exactly as planned, still they got everything put back like it was suppose to be however they did not get Stroker and now Asher is not only an enemy but still universe hoping. Nothing says no extradition like a parallel earth. Now Jace is dealing with trying to help her friend Doctor Pete, who calls himself Tyir now after a run in with a time altering sword. Taking a desperate gamble to restore her friend it should come as no surprise that the plan did not work ...more
Daffodil

Since arriving on Thropirelem, her name for this alternate Earth, Jace has had to make quite a few adjustments. Not only do Lycanthropes, Vampires and Golems exist, but humans are a less than 1% minority. Karmic (comic) Books are outlawed spells that can set future events. And a time-warping sword can completely unravel a man's life, mentally change his key decisions and remake him into a cold-blooded killer, all while those around him still remember the man he was.

Jace has real hope t
Karyogini
Jan 04, 2012 Karyogini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-on-2012
After reading so many book, especially this genre, the stories all become similar. Some are downright copies, others are slightly different, and there those are are completely unique... I would probably classify this as slightly different. Since the underlying theme of this book (not series) is vamps vs. thrope. But who cares if you just really love reading? So what if the story sort of remind of a different book. Authors draw inspiration from somewhere right?

Anyway, I got distracted, what I rea
Cindy
Mar 24, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
D.D. Barant has created such a wonderful, colorful world of Thropes, Vampires, Golems and humans (humans are a minority) in a parallel universe that I ripped right through this edition of "The Bloodhound Files". Jace Valchek is an FBI Profiler brought to an intriguing universe to find and take down a serial killer that this world has no hope of finding because serial killers just don't exist there. Jace gets sidetracked when a Thrope she caught and imprisoned tricks her into taking him out for a ...more
Darcy
Oct 18, 2014 Darcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, uf, shifters, vampires, magic
This series puzzles me. There is so much about it that I like, Charlie, Gally, the Adams pack, and the world itself, but I find I do get bored reading the books. I end up reading 50 pages at a time then switch to a different book, them come back. Usually I will just give up on a book when this happens. But there is just something that keeps me reading even though the books are just ok for me.

Jace has grown on me in this book and I don't find her so annoying. She really goes through the ringer in
Jackie
Okay Jace finds herself in danger of becoming one of the supernatural entities that inhabit the alternate reality in which she has been living now for awhile, it is one of the most traumatic things she has faced yet.

The truth of the matter is that as we share the journey in this 4th book with Jace the reader is as overwhelmed by the possibility of a transformation or death as is the character whose life as a human is as stake.

I felt like this was a true turning point for Jace, in more ways than
Kipi
Aug 14, 2013 Kipi rated it liked it
Okay, here we go, once again in bulletins.

* I did not remember what this book was about when I started to write this review, which is bad (20ish days between the book and the review).
* The plot focuses mainly on (view spoiler).
* The aforementioned plot turn could've been good, but I had my suspicions about it. I didn't think there was no way (view spoiler) and sadly I was right.
* The info-dumping and
Anita
Thank goodness this series got back on track! This is book four of a mystery-urban fantasy series that I really loved in the first two books.

The premise of the series is that Jace, the human heroine profiler, has been trasported to another dimension of earth where magic is commonplace and vampires, lycanthropes, and golems make up 99% of the population. Humans are an endangered spieces at 1%.

In this one, Jace believes that the Dr. Pete personality is still inside Tair, and that a magical treatme
Veronica
Jun 14, 2012 Veronica rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I think it may be time to put this series away even though I already bought the next book. Jace's *constant* sarcasm is becoming annoying, the hookup between Jace and Cassius (who is a vampire but LOOKS 18!) came out of nowhere. I love relationships that come together after a slow boil but this pairing never even turned on the stove and then suddenly bam! It's love! Sorry, but I need a bit more set up than that.

But the real problem I'm starting to have with this series is its overuse of magica
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3)
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Precinct 13
  • Under Suspicion (Underworld Detection Agency, #3)
  • Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Apocalypse to Go (Nola O'Grady, #3)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
Pseudonyms: Don DeBrandt & Donn Cortez & Dixie Lyle

DD Barant lives in Vancouver, BC, and loves monsters, chocolate, animals, reading, comics and lying naked on the beach, while hating bullies, narrow-minded people, Sea Urchin Sushi and gluten. He has stated that DD Barant is a pseudonym, and that it is not the only pseudonym under which he writes.

http
More about D.D. Barant...

The Bloodhound Files (6 books)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2)
  • Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, #3)
  • Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5)
  • Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)

“Most people need a reason to argue - you just need a place.” 15 likes
“We doing a traffic stop?"
"Yeah. I have a reasonable suspicion that we're witnessing a violation of the law."
"Which law?"