Start by marking “Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In a book hailed by " Publishers Weekly " as a ?passionate plea for access to water activism, OCO " Blue Covenant " addresses an environmental crisis that?together with global warming?poses one of the gravest threats to our survival.
How did the worldOCOs most vital resource become imperiled? And what must we do to pull back from the brink? In ?stark and nearly devastating
Published August 1st 2010 by New Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Covenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Covenant

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I want to warn you: this review turned into a bit of a personal rant, 'cause while Barlow might keep a cool calm head about it, I am a different matter entirely!

Growing up in little ol' Tassie, the state that the rest of Australia considers to be cold and wet (but isn't really), during the 80s, the big things I was always hearing about were drought, greenhouse gases and the hole in the ozone layer. I always figured, since I absorbed these pressing concerns as a child, that everyone was concerned
Steven
There was a lot of information in this book if you have a grasp of the Organizations, groups and Government agencies mentioned (and there are quite a few, its almost as if she's name dropping) sadly there is too few mentions of concrete things to do to end the cycle we seem to be stuck in. I guess this book may have been written for those that didn't know politicians make policies then go to work in the self same industries they had been charged to regulate. And that we spend crazy amount on bot ...more
Sherry
Apr 10, 2011 Sherry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People concerned about the future
In a nutshell:

" The three water crises -- dwindling freshwater supplies, inequitable access to water and the corporate control of water -- pose the greatest threat of our time to the planet and to our survival. Together with the impending climate change from fossil fuel emissions, the water crises impose some life-or-death decisions on us all. Unless we collectively change our behavior, we are heading toward a world of deepening conflict and potential wars over the dwindling supplies of freshwa
Jim
Headline and lead from a recent news story:

Worst Drought in More Than a Century Threatens Texas Oil Boom
The worst Texas drought since record-keeping began 116 years ago may crimp an oil and natural- gas drilling boom as government officials ration water supplies crucial to energy exploration.
In the hardest-hit areas, water-management districts are warning residents and businesses to curtail usage from rivers, lakes and aquifers. The shortage is forcing oil companies to go farther afield to buy
Othón León
A tremendous warning is the one Maude Marlow makes with this wonderful book... fascinating in essence, it lets us know why we must head towards a different kind of "growth"... simple: we are finishing even water supplies! the degree of detail she describes cannot be interpreted other than a last warning... either we rationalize our economies (world, national and even individual) or we are condemned to a next war: for water!

Referring to water, Ms. Barlow says: "...those areas of life thought to b
The Hermit's
The premise of this book is that water should be a human right to life; not a commodity. If you agree with this concept then read on. This is a decent introduction on the current state of our dwindling water resources amidst overpopulation, the failings of globalization and climate change. It documents how the control of water is increasingly in the grasp of corporate capitalists, both globally and in the backyards of the U.S. I learned that bottled water can often be less sanitary than regular ...more
Alice
I found this book to be quite hyperbolic and uneven. I actually agree with Ms. Barlow - and work in water in the public sector. But, she does not provide a well balanced analysis - she talks about places where private water systems failed, but never mentions where public systems have similarly failed, or any places where private water has worked - too much cherry-picking. I respect her advocacy, but this is really just another book, similar to her other ones, geared to whipping up opposition - i ...more
Paula
Reading challenge 2015 #nonfiction-book 2/50
Water is a human right. Don't buy bottled water.
Denise
Incredibly interesting book. I met Maude at an event last week and picked up her book. I intend to also pick up her previous work, Blue and Gold. This is a startling look at an issue that has been knocking at our door but we have not bothered to acknowledge. When you examine many of the worlds conflicts through the prism of water and access to water may pieces fall into place. This book will make you think twice about your water consumption and the type of world you want in the future.
Thomas
So fresh water is becoming scarce due to the prevalence of industrial agriculture, the increasing population, and poor water management (e.g. deep drilling for ground water, big dams funded by the world bank, etc.) Meanwhile water has come under the control of international conglomerates whose profit margins will increase as the crisis worsens. If you're at all interested in this topic, skip the book and go right to a film called FLOW (For Love of Water). Great movie.
Matthew
Although the topic is interesting and increasingly relevant, the entire book is mostly a list of facts barely assembled into paragraphs and chapters. Barlow seems to be trying to draw the reader into joining the cause, but fails to do so through his lack of narrative, which is ultimately disappointing as the story would seem to be rather compelling for anyone hoping to be able to get a drinkable glass of water from their kitchen tap 20 years from now.
Katie Allan
interesting book so far. definitely depressing. as a resident of california the water crisis is always a topic of discission. i agree with barlows assertion that water should be considered a human right and appreciate her coverage of how water is slowly...i mean quickly becoming privatized. scared to finish the book because i will need to address the question, what should i do?!
Andy
Another one where I just found things lacking. I've read so much about the water movement that it takes something new and unique to reach me so this is sort of unfair but I think Blue Gold was a lot better. This one just seemed like a summary of her other books or other water rights books in general.
TheTyee.ca
Maude Barlow made the transition from housewife to feminist activist in the 1970s, eventually advising former prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau on women's issues. In the 1980s, she shifted her attention to the long battle against Canada's free trade agreements.

read more ...
Patsy
Barlow explains the hydrologic cycle, water systems presently in use today, as well as the role private water companies are playing across the world today. She warns about preserving wetlands and forests, costs of desalination. She points out that private companies cannot foster needed conservation.
Toby
Ok... here's the sobering quote from this book:

"It is evident that the world is moving toward a corporate-controlled freshwater cartel, with private companies, backed by governments and global institutions, making fundamental decisions about who has access to water and under what conditions."
Ted
Barlow, an expert in international water privatization, delivers an up-to-date look at water mining techniques and the future of nuclear desalination plants. This read is more digestible for the average reader than Blue Gold. It really puts the problems into perspective.
Brady Fish
If you want to own your conservative uncles, aunts, older siblings, grandpas, grandmas etc. on the details of the inevitable problem of water in the world (especially with our pals Coca-Cola and Pepsi doing what they do best) - read this book.
Chad
Must read book on the condition of the earth's hydrological system. Highly recommended.

I agree with Barlow that in the future wars will not be fought so much over oil as they will over water. It is the single most pressing issue of our time.
Melanie
Really informative and, even though this is one of those horrible crises that make you want to pretend you don't actually live on this planet, the book does not freak you out. Rather, it informs and inspires. A definite must read.
Robin
A bit tough to read - a little text bookish, but very important information for us to know. If you think having oil removed from your life would be shattering - you need to start understanding what is already happening regarding water.
Mamen
I found the statistics at the beginning very meaningful. The second part could have been more interesting. Naming to many organizations, you loose the focus of the message
Hungryfeminist
Definitely too short - but touches on some of the most important elements of the current world water crisis and the problems of potential privatization.
A thorough examination of the current and upcoming crisis for clean water, sources, water theft and more. A scary and eye opening read.
Gautam
Nov 20, 2008 Gautam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just listened to Maude Barlow on Alternative Radio talking about Peak Water, and how we're closer than we all realize...I must read this!!
Simon
A bit heavy going, but mostly because it is depressing. Strop drinking bottled water while you are reading this review.
Jessica
soumewhat comprehensive and dense read about our water crisis--she focuses the majority of the book on the privatization issue.
Arlene Lewis
fabulous, smart and easy to understand. A topic we all need to think about for today and the future.
Lorelei Yang
Maude Barlow is pretty much one of my heroes: this book illustrates how she's earned that place in my heart.
desalination 1 5 Jan 18, 2009 05:58PM
  • When the Rivers Run Dry: Water--The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-first Century
  • Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • Unquenchable: America's Water Crisis and What To Do About It
  • Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It
  • Storm World: Hurricanes, Politics, and the Battle Over Global Warming
  • Rivers of Empire: Water, Aridity, and the Growth of the American West
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • The Blue Death: Disease, Disaster, and the Water We Drink
  • Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
  • The Great Warming: Climate Change and the Rise and Fall of Civilizations
  • The Ripple Effect: The Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • John Muir Omnibus: The 8 Wilderness-Discovery Books
  • Water: The Fate of Our Most Precious Resource
  • Earth: The Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming
  • The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age
  • The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water Blue Future: Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever Too Close For Comfort: Canada's Future Within Fortress North America Frederick Street  Tpb The Fight of My Life: Confessions of an Unrepentant Canadian