Start by marking “The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)” as Want to Read:
The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,864 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
The bone-chilling story of the "Hotel Ripper" who stalks New York's streets after hours-and the retired cop who must stop him.
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Deadly Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Deadly Sin

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Best Series of Books Ever
30th out of 36 books — 7 voters
American Tabloid by James EllroyThe Cold Six Thousand by James EllroyL.A. Confidential by James EllroyNo Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthyBlood's a Rover by James Ellroy
The Best in Prose: High Caliber Crime
70th out of 123 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Candace
Dec 28, 2011 Candace rated it it was amazing
I read the Deadly Sin books when they came out, so of course at the time none of it seemed "dated," as many reviewers have said. These police procedurals are the best of the genre, imo, and are also Sanders' best work. The Third Deadly Sin is my favorite of the series.

Captain Edward X. Delaney, Ret., is a lovable character and ace crime-solver who loves sandwiches and Heineken beer. There are two kinds of sandwiches for Delaney: the kind you can eat over a paper towel at the kitchen table, and
Algernon
My favorite book from Sanders. Read it three times already, since I bought it in second hand bookshop. Serial killers are not usually my cup of tea, but this is something special, more frightening than vampires or werevolves. An ordinary person - the kind that could be living in the apartment next door - developing a taste for murder, her sanity gradually disintegrating, incapable of going back to a normal life, even when given a chance. An ordinary policeman, patiently gathering scraps of evide ...more
Nancy Bandusky
Sherry
Oct 25, 2013 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the cover, bought it, started reading and couldn't put it down, loved the characters, from the detective, his secretary and especially the killer. I feel A must read.
David Burke
Oct 24, 2013 David Burke rated it it was amazing
One of a kind trail-blazing fiction from an age when "Serial Killer" was a new concept in the lexicon of human speech and experience. Creepy. Stay out of hotel bars.
Surreysmum

4 sta
David K.
Jan 30, 2016 David K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book

All of the Deadly Sin books never disappoint. Edward X. Delaney at his very best and so are his sandwiches!
Leif
Mar 12, 2013 Leif rated it really liked it
This is a whydunnit. A great part of the Deadly Sin series. I actually felt for the killer in a bizarre way although the killing ofc is far beyond me. Delaney, as though the entire series, is excellent.
Jwjohnsen
Dec 01, 2013 Jwjohnsen rated it it was ok
Mr. Sanders makes an interesting choice with this detective novel by providing slowly converging plot lines from the very beginning. We know the name and motive of the murderer, and the book is devoted to the detective's slowly approaching her until the book's finale. This helped avoid the annoying provision of an obvious decoy suspect halfway through the book, which so many other mystery/detective authors seem to love.

On the other hand, the book just wasn't that great. The main character, Edwar
Andrea Hickman Walker
I read this many years ago. Seeing it at the cottage when I had nothing to read (prior to the trip to the Simon's Town Library sale, obviously) I decided to reread it and, since I enjoyed the series, to abscond with it. Since I recognised it as being one of Dad's unwanted books that were variously placed at the cottage or used book stores (or my shelves), I felt that would be perfectly acceptable. Besides I don't think anyone else reads the books down there.

Anyway, this book features Edward X De
An Odd1
Jun 14, 2013 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Suffering from painful menstrual cramps by day, divorced Zoe Kohler passes as an invisible middle-aged secretary for New York City Hotel Granger security, but by night, in a midnight black long wig, clingy dress, stiletto heels, hiding a lethal Swiss Army knife, she prowls large hotel bars to end lechery of conference attendees. NYPD officer Delaney takes on the serial killer. (Not a spoiler, because Sanders starts with her.)

I'm more for the drawing room puzzles of Christie than explicit ("graph
Kay
Feb 05, 2016 Kay rated it it was amazing
I love these books about Edward X. Delaney, retired NYPD detective. This one is about a female serial killer who seduces and then murders her victims. Sanders definitely gives a convincing glimpse into the mind of the killer, though all of the characters in his books are always so well-depicted. And yes, Edward does eat a lot of sandwiches in this book, too.
Kathy
Oct 27, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime-drama brain candy.
Again, another book I just remembered reading . . . could have sworn it was Sidney Sheldon but a review of his novel plots came up empty. Hello, Google! I typed in a one-line plot summary and up it came. It's pretty much a trashy serial-killer novel, but with a twist any woman with debilitating cramps can understand. I might just have to read it again!
Jackie Langetieg
Disappointment

Disappointment! The previous book in the series, The Second Deadly Sin, contained a preview of this one but it covered more than 50% of this one. I purchased this book for money and found to my dismay that I'd already read more than half of it in the excerpt.
Barbara
Mar 03, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first and third deadly sins were the best of the series, but they follow in sequence. I thought they sparked my imagination. My husband, on the other hand, thought they were too wordy. Depends what you like. I also read them in the 70's when everything was new LOL!
Masha Lagonell
Mar 27, 2016 Masha Lagonell rated it it was amazing
I completely loved this book and will read it again some time. This guy's description of each scene and character, even the smallest things like Delaney's sandwich and beer are amazing. Can't wait to read the others.
The Visual
Apr 16, 2014 The Visual rated it really liked it
I read this when I was in high school and it gave me the chills. It was my first book about a woman serial killer. It's something that you'll enjoy reading but not something you might want to re-read.
Cassandra
Jul 10, 2014 Cassandra marked it as unfinished
I could not make any headway into this, it felt like the first book again except less well done, and in the end I just put it down.
Judy Simmons
Mar 17, 2016 Judy Simmons rated it really liked it
Very good mystery.... to know the killer and see how the police figure it out.
Jill Miller
Mar 10, 2016 Jill Miller rated it it was amazing
An oldie but goody -- a "must read" for fans of the police procedural.
Bonnie Murray
Apr 25, 2014 Bonnie Murray rated it really liked it
Enjoying this author, easy to read and this particular book is still with me.
Marsha
Jul 08, 2015 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vieles ist inzwischen echt altmodisch, trotzdem ein netter Krimi
Lynsey
Aug 20, 2015 Lynsey rated it really liked it
This book took me by surprise. Must give it a try.
Drew
Sep 25, 2015 Drew rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Well written but something didn't work.
PaulaSue
Mar 21, 2014 PaulaSue rated it really liked it
This book felt like a '70s Hitchcock movie, I really enjoyed it.
Kathryn Flatt
Mar 14, 2013 Kathryn Flatt rated it it was amazing
I liked this one even better than "The First Deadly Sin." Kept going back to re-read favorite passages in the paperback I had until the darned thing went to pieces. Again, Mr. Sanders switches between viewpoints of the killer and the cop, making for pretty good suspense. The book was written (and I read it) decades ago, before personal computers, cell phones, and the Internet, and I find it fascinating to follow the unraveling of a complex crime by persistence, hard work, and the use of intellec ...more
Joni Holland
Jan 18, 2016 Joni Holland rated it really liked it
Suzanne
Apr 23, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Kinda predictable but I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. Also I found the whole PMSing thing to be quite cliché.
Caroline
Jan 22, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, murder
I really like this series. Though written in the 70's, the story line is timeless and a bit edgy. I was sorry to learn that there are only 4 novels in this series, so the next one is my last. Luckily, Sanders, being a prolific writer, has many more stories to explore.
  • The Trust
  • This Thing of Darkness (Fiona Griffiths, #4)
  • Tycoon
  • Scare Me
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • The Animal Factory
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • Kiss Them Goodbye
  • Tumbleweed
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm (Välfärdsstatens fall, #3)
  • The Night and the Music
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Vespers (87th Precinct, #42)
  • Justice at Nuremberg
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • Virtue and Vice: A Dictionary of the Good Life
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Deadly Sins (5 books)
  • The Anderson Tapes (Deadly Sins #1)
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)
  • The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)