Start by marking “The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)” as Want to Read:
The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,723 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The bone-chilling story of the "Hotel Ripper" who stalks New York's streets after hours-and the retired cop who must stop him.
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Deadly Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Deadly Sin

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Best Series of Books Ever
27th out of 33 books — 5 voters
The Cold Six Thousand by James EllroyAmerican Tabloid by James EllroyL.A. Confidential by James EllroyNo Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthyBlood's a Rover by James Ellroy
The Best in Prose: High Caliber Crime
59th out of 118 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

My favorite book from Sanders. Read it three times already, since I bought it in second hand bookshop. Serial killers are not usually my cup of tea, but this is something special, more frightening than vampires or werevolves. An ordinary person - the kind that could be living in the apartment next door - developing a taste for murder, her sanity gradually disintegrating, incapable of going back to a normal life, even when given a chance. An ordinary policeman, patiently gathering scraps of evide ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
I read the Deadly Sin books when they came out, so of course at the time none of it seemed "dated," as many reviewers have said. These police procedurals are the best of the genre, imo, and are also Sanders' best work. The Third Deadly Sin is my favorite of the series.

Captain Edward X. Delaney, Ret., is a lovable character and ace crime-solver who loves sandwiches and Heineken beer. There are two kinds of sandwiches for Delaney: the kind you can eat over a paper towel at the kitchen table, and
Loved the cover, bought it, started reading and couldn't put it down, loved the characters, from the detective, his secretary and especially the killer. I feel A must read.
David Burke
One of a kind trail-blazing fiction from an age when "Serial Killer" was a new concept in the lexicon of human speech and experience. Creepy. Stay out of hotel bars.
Mr. Sanders makes an interesting choice with this detective novel by providing slowly converging plot lines from the very beginning. We know the name and motive of the murderer, and the book is devoted to the detective's slowly approaching her until the book's finale. This helped avoid the annoying provision of an obvious decoy suspect halfway through the book, which so many other mystery/detective authors seem to love.

On the other hand, the book just wasn't that great. The main character, Edwar
Andrea Hickman Walker
I read this many years ago. Seeing it at the cottage when I had nothing to read (prior to the trip to the Simon's Town Library sale, obviously) I decided to reread it and, since I enjoyed the series, to abscond with it. Since I recognised it as being one of Dad's unwanted books that were variously placed at the cottage or used book stores (or my shelves), I felt that would be perfectly acceptable. Besides I don't think anyone else reads the books down there.

Anyway, this book features Edward X De
An Odd1
Suffering from painful menstrual cramps by day, divorced Zoe Kohler passes as an invisible middle-aged secretary for New York City Hotel Granger security, but by night, in a midnight black long wig, clingy dress, stiletto heels, hiding a lethal Swiss Army knife, she prowls large hotel bars to end lechery of conference attendees. NYPD officer Delaney takes on the serial killer. (Not a spoiler, because Sanders starts with her.)

I'm more for the drawing room puzzles of Christie than explicit ("graph
Oct 27, 2014 Kathy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime-drama brain candy.
Again, another book I just remembered reading . . . could have sworn it was Sidney Sheldon but a review of his novel plots came up empty. Hello, Google! I typed in a one-line plot summary and up it came. It's pretty much a trashy serial-killer novel, but with a twist any woman with debilitating cramps can understand. I might just have to read it again!
Jackie Langetieg

Disappointment! The previous book in the series, The Second Deadly Sin, contained a preview of this one but it covered more than 50% of this one. I purchased this book for money and found to my dismay that I'd already read more than half of it in the excerpt.
The first and third deadly sins were the best of the series, but they follow in sequence. I thought they sparked my imagination. My husband, on the other hand, thought they were too wordy. Depends what you like. I also read them in the 70's when everything was new LOL!
The Visual
I read this when I was in high school and it gave me the chills. It was my first book about a woman serial killer. It's something that you'll enjoy reading but not something you might want to re-read.
Jul 10, 2014 Cassandra marked it as unfinished
I could not make any headway into this, it felt like the first book again except less well done, and in the end I just put it down.
Bonnie Murray
Enjoying this author, easy to read and this particular book is still with me.
Vieles ist inzwischen echt altmodisch, trotzdem ein netter Krimi
This book took me by surprise. Must give it a try.
Well written but something didn't work.
This book felt like a '70s Hitchcock movie, I really enjoyed it.
Kathryn Flatt
I liked this one even better than "The First Deadly Sin." Kept going back to re-read favorite passages in the paperback I had until the darned thing went to pieces. Again, Mr. Sanders switches between viewpoints of the killer and the cop, making for pretty good suspense. The book was written (and I read it) decades ago, before personal computers, cell phones, and the Internet, and I find it fascinating to follow the unraveling of a complex crime by persistence, hard work, and the use of intellec ...more
Kinda predictable but I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. Also I found the whole PMSing thing to be quite cliché.
I really like this series. Though written in the 70's, the story line is timeless and a bit edgy. I was sorry to learn that there are only 4 novels in this series, so the next one is my last. Luckily, Sanders, being a prolific writer, has many more stories to explore.
Interesting - the author hypothesis’ that a possible side effect of the women's liberation movement of the 1960's was an increase in crimes committed by women including mass murder.

The story is the third in the Edward X Delaney (retired NYC Chief of Detectives) series - lover of sandwiches and mysteries and this time he and Detective Sgt Boone are hot on the trail of the "Hotel Ripper".
Gina Czapla
good book ****
Tina Blackman
This isn't the sort of book I'd normally read, but i must have read it about half a dozen times. You know from the start who is doing the killings, but I like the way Delaney goes about tracking them down. It's not so much how the killings are carried out, but why. Also, each time I read it, I think I'd like a 'Why Not?' bracelet too!
Jevon Scott
Lawrence Sanders nails in in these four series, I have read them all and one of them twice. I first read about him in the seventh grade, and although deceased I would still recommend these books to anyone who loves reading about a gritty, know it all, down to earth detective that lives for his job and solves the most hideous of crimes.
If ya like tv shows like CSI & Criminal Minds AND you like to laugh... read this book. Yes, it is dated, but still good. Characters drink too much; modern computers & cell phones would change it a bit, so ya gotta be patient with the character's old technology. But it is fun & icky at the same time.
Yet another amazing mystery/suspense novel in the Delaney series.

Again, a dated book no DNA, don't know what serial killers are, but I enjoyed it none the less. I like how the main character thinks and figures things out without all the technology we have today.

I would highly recommend this series.
Lori Cope
I love these books. It always cracks me up when people complain about the way the author characterizes women in this series. Edward X Delaney is a tough, no nonsense retired cop - the gritty feel of the time and character are what make him believable.
This book was lying around in a hotel I was staying in... I got no pleasure from the story, but did enjoy making fun of the author while I was reading it. It's somewhere near the low end of the "so bad it's good" category.
  • The Trust
  • Tumbleweed
  • Tycoon
  • The Animal Factory
  • The Night and the Music
  • Vespers (87th Precinct, #42)
  • The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (Fiona Griffiths, #3)
  • Sacred Secrets, A Jacody Ives Mystery
  • Purgatory (Jack Taylor, #10)
  • Scare Me
  • Kiss Them Goodbye
  • Budayeen Nights
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm (Välfärdsstatens fall, #3)
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • The Tooth Tattoo (Peter Diamond, #13)
  • From Death to Morning
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Deadly Sins (5 books)
  • The Anderson Tapes (Deadly Sins #1)
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)
  • The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3) McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2) McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)