Start by marking “Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)” as Want to Read:
Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)

Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,452 ratings  ·  53 reviews

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.The first one said, "Oh my, it's getting late."Get ready for some wicked fun as these five pumpkins run and roll! Toddlers will want to chant along with this popular rhyme again and again. Dan Yaccarino's vibrant and bold illustrations bring these pumpkins to life with personality and style. Toddlers are sure to laugh out loud as thes

Board book, 16 pages
Published 1998 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Pumpkins

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
11th out of 242 books — 319 voters
The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburyGods of The Nowhere by James TipperSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo Hampton
Best Halloween Books
56th out of 340 books — 443 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
* * *Read and Reviewed by Me & My Niece Emma * * *

Horrendous. I understand and accept the dumbing down of this sing-along standard (back in my day it was always 10 of this or that, but the rhyme was also much more repetitive than today's version), but this isn't good in any way, shape or form. The rhyme just sucks and the ending is lame.

I only picked this up for Emma, because last school year I recalled helping her memorize just such a "5 Little..." (I think it was ducks) which she had to re
Lauren
Cute little book to read for those who like Halloween.
Heather
Great little counting book perfect for Halloween. My son had tons of fun with this and had it memorized in no time.
Karen
The October before last, I had to spend a few days in North Carolina without my then-almost-three year old son. I wanted to bring him back something special, and, when I was out running errands, I saw this book. I love Dan Yaccarino's joyfully brilliant illustrations, and my son loved (and still loves) pumpkins, so I figured this book would be a winner. I was right.

We, of course, read it every night up until Hallowe'en. Then Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. It did get a bit of a rest during the sp
Karina Arroyo
The Five Little Pumpkins is a book meant for little kids, i would say first graders. It is not a hard reading at all and it is meant just to spread the Halloween spirit. I personally liked it for little kids but for older people i think that they would think that it is just too simple. The illustrations were traditional pumpkins. There was nothing really out of the ordinary or anything that stood out and grabbed my attention. I think this book is a book that can be utilized to keep first graders ...more
Marjorie Estavillo
Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino, was one of my favorite Halloween books growing up. I remember my teacher read it to me when I was in Kindergarten, at our Halloween party. I was amazed by the rhyming in the book, and was repeating the story all day. My teacher would have us count to five as we would read the book, and by the end of the class we were all reading the story together. This book has great Halloween activities that can go along with reading it. Each student can make their own pu ...more
Brittany
I have heard so much about this book, but had never read it until my son and I found it at the library book sale. He is in first grade and this was just too babyish for him. It would be better for preschool or Kindergarten children.
Kara Conlon
Sometimes I wonder about people and the reviews being posted. Of course, Five Little Pumpkins was not a challenging book to read. It was not full of plot twists nor did it leave me wondering if there would be a equal.

Five Little Pumpkins had my daughter jumping up and down, quoting the book as she read it with me. Her excitement and pure enjoyment from the book is just fantastic.
Mariana Brennan
I accidentally read this book because my mom is a teacher and she brought this book home and I was like, "this so cute" and then I read it. I like it very much, I like how you can sing it and it is like a little quick book that I enjoyed. It also reminds me of Doctor Seus, so that one more thing.
David
Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino is a board book format retelling of the popular rhyme, song and fingerplay.

Yaccarino's colorful illustrations are bright and highlight the jack-o-lanterns and a ghost. I love the juggling picture. My favorite images are cover, gate, witches, don't care, light's out, and rolling.

I used this rhyme regularly for stoeytimes in the fall. This version is nicely accessible for babies, toddlers and preshcoolers. a bit of personality is shown by the pumpkins and th
K.
Preschoolers love this story because the book has great, simple illustrations. The kids can tell the story just by looking at the pictures and it is a classic for Halloween.
Laura Elizabeth
Adorable read, and cute with sing-a-longs for small children! My nephew and niece both learned this in their kindergarten class.
Meredith
This cute board book illustrates the classic Halloween fingerplay "Five Little Pumpkins," featuring Dan Yaccarino's signature bright colors and bold lines.

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My, it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
Then oooohh went the wind.
And out went the lights.
And the five little pumpki
Kristen
This book was used as a poem in my kindergarten practicum classroom. The teacher taught the students the words and then taught them motions to go with the words. We used it as a fun activity to pass the time when there was just a little extra time before recess or the end of the day. It was really cute to watch them try to remember the words to the book. I know whenever I read this book I will read it in the poem form as it was taught to me. This is a cute book to use for a young elementary clas ...more
Janet
My kids love this rhyme from their Raffi CD. Even more fun now that they see it illustrated.
Carolyn
Did this poem with Kindies.
Title: Five Little Pumpkins
Illustrator: Dan Yaccarino

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Year of Publication: 1998

Grade level: K-1
Genre: Picture Book
Topics: Pumpkins; Halloween

Summary: This is a classic Halloween poem: five little pumpkins with jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, and witches.

Interactions Between Text and Illustrations: There are colorful images to support the text.

Curricular Uses: Read aloud or guided reading
Literary Elements: Personification
Charlie
This is a story that I know by heart. Cute.
Kathryn
Such a cute little book with the poem as the story

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My, it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
Then oooohh went the wind.
And out went the lights.
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.
Robert
An amusing enough little rhyming book for the Halloween season. I was hopeful it was going to be like the five little joeys song from The Wiggles, but alas, it is not.

There is nothing wonderful about this, but nothing horrible either. with the dialogue, I think it would be an effective book to share with my students how to write dialogue. The punctuation is clear in this. I think I shall give it a whirl.
Katie Morrison
Five Little Pumpkins is a great poem to read around Halloween time. The short rhyming poem guides the young readers so they can read along too.
Katherine Cowley
This is a book about five little pumpkins, sitting on a gate. The pumpkins are excited for Halloween, and your toddler will be too as you read this book with them. My two year old has the whole thing memorized, and it's fun to see her so excited about it. The rhymes are catchy and memorable, and you can even read it as a "finger play"--doing actions with your hands as you read.
Meg McGregor
Little ones will be sure to laugh as the five little pumpkins sit on a gate, decide it is getting late, see witches flying through the air and then decide to run and run and run.

With the help of a friendly wind, their light goes out and they roll out of sight.

I like it but the text could be more structured and really have more to do with the holiday.
Nicole
Oct 27, 2012 Nicole added it
This story is a rhyming book. The pumpkins start off talking about how it's getting late. Each of the pumpkins wanted to do something different that night. But in the end they all go home together. My favorite part is how the words rhyme together in a cute way. The pictures are also very child-friendly for halloween.
Melanie
Sturdy board book is good for little hands. Brightly colored illustrations get you into the Halloween spirit, but after the first couple of pages are very repetitive (not much changes from page-to-page). I was hoping for illustrations that went better with the verse or showed more action.
jacky
I bought this for Natalie today at the bookstore. I couldn't resist the Halloween book section. I remember singing this song in elementary school and really enjoying it. The music teacher would really get into this song and I could see myself doing that with Natalie as we read this book.
Heidi
A toddler board book for one of my favorite Halloween songs! Wonderful!!!

10/26/10 & 10/28/10 Even with the tiny group Tue. and the large group Thu., this book was a success all around. Fun pictures. Great teaching the rhyme. They loved it.
Katie Roberts
5 little pumpkins are sitting on a gate on Halloween night. Through the usage of rhyme, the pumpkins describe what they see on Halloween. There are children running by, fun costumes, and lots of treats.
Josiah
This is a very simple book that somehow still manages to create a good atmosphere. The text itself sounds something like a short poem, and makes for a brief Halloween book for the very young.
Danielle Perna
Between the colors and rhythm this book is a hit with my daughter. She has me reading it non-stop and dances along while I read. It's a lot of fun and very cute. I highly recommend it.
  • Big Pumpkin
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...
The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau Doug Unplugged Unlovable Every Friday All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel