Start by marking “Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)” as Want to Read:
Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)

Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,550 ratings  ·  61 reviews

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.The first one said, "Oh my, it's getting late."Get ready for some wicked fun as these five pumpkins run and roll! Toddlers will want to chant along with this popular rhyme again and again. Dan Yaccarino's vibrant and bold illustrations bring these pumpkins to life with personality and style. Toddlers are sure to laugh out loud as thes

Board book, 16 pages
Published 1998 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Pumpkins

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
12th out of 341 books — 352 voters
The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburySomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Best Halloween Books
64th out of 409 books — 467 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
* * *Read and Reviewed by Me & My Niece Emma * * *

Horrendous. I understand and accept the dumbing down of this sing-along standard (back in my day it was always 10 of this or that, but the rhyme was also much more repetitive than today's version), but this isn't good in any way, shape or form. The rhyme just sucks and the ending is lame.

I only picked this up for Emma, because last school year I recalled helping her memorize just such a "5 Little..." (I think it was ducks) which she had to re
Sammie Mays
Great, cute little board book to read to the little ones around Halloween.
Hannah Harris
Opening line/sentence:
"Five little pumpkins
sitting on a gate"
Brief Book Summary:
Dan Yaccarino tells the sing-along story of five excited and jubilant pumpkins sitting on a gate in anticipation for the Halloween celebrations. However, because of their antsy and chaotic behavior, trouble ensues for the pumpkins as the night gets closer and closer!
Great little counting book perfect for Halloween. My son had tons of fun with this and had it memorized in no time.
Kara Conlon
Sometimes I wonder about people and the reviews being posted. Of course, Five Little Pumpkins was not a challenging book to read. It was not full of plot twists nor did it leave me wondering if there would be a equal.

Five Little Pumpkins had my daughter jumping up and down, quoting the book as she read it with me. Her excitement and pure enjoyment from the book is just fantastic.
Cute little book to read for those who like Halloween.
The October before last, I had to spend a few days in North Carolina without my then-almost-three year old son. I wanted to bring him back something special, and, when I was out running errands, I saw this book. I love Dan Yaccarino's joyfully brilliant illustrations, and my son loved (and still loves) pumpkins, so I figured this book would be a winner. I was right.

We, of course, read it every night up until Hallowe'en. Then Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. It did get a bit of a rest during the sp
Karina Arroyo
The Five Little Pumpkins is a book meant for little kids, i would say first graders. It is not a hard reading at all and it is meant just to spread the Halloween spirit. I personally liked it for little kids but for older people i think that they would think that it is just too simple. The illustrations were traditional pumpkins. There was nothing really out of the ordinary or anything that stood out and grabbed my attention. I think this book is a book that can be utilized to keep first graders ...more
I LOVE this Halloween board book! It's fun, it rhymes, and it has awesome illustrations. It's also short enough to hold Caleb's attention. This will definitely be a re-read for us every Halloween season because it's so festive. I look forward to reading it at least a few more times this fall. Thanks to my new blogging friend, Sarah, for this awesome gift she sent Caleb in a book swap.
Marjorie Estavillo
Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino, was one of my favorite Halloween books growing up. I remember my teacher read it to me when I was in Kindergarten, at our Halloween party. I was amazed by the rhyming in the book, and was repeating the story all day. My teacher would have us count to five as we would read the book, and by the end of the class we were all reading the story together. This book has great Halloween activities that can go along with reading it. Each student can make their own pu ...more
I have heard so much about this book, but had never read it until my son and I found it at the library book sale. He is in first grade and this was just too babyish for him. It would be better for preschool or Kindergarten children.
Mariana Brennan
I accidentally read this book because my mom is a teacher and she brought this book home and I was like, "this so cute" and then I read it. I like it very much, I like how you can sing it and it is like a little quick book that I enjoyed. It also reminds me of Doctor Seus, so that one more thing.
Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino is a board book format retelling of the popular rhyme, song and fingerplay.

Yaccarino's colorful illustrations are bright and highlight the jack-o-lanterns and a ghost. I love the juggling picture. My favorite images are cover, gate, witches, don't care, light's out, and rolling.

I used this rhyme regularly for stoeytimes in the fall. This version is nicely accessible for babies, toddlers and preshcoolers. a bit of personality is shown by the pumpkins and th
Cute and simple, with a nice sing-songy rhythm to the words. My coworker helpfully told me (and demonstrated) that it was to the tune of Five Little Ducks (or was it six..), but it still was fun to read.
Preschoolers love this story because the book has great, simple illustrations. The kids can tell the story just by looking at the pictures and it is a classic for Halloween.
Laura Elizabeth
Adorable read, and cute with sing-a-longs for small children! My nephew and niece both learned this in their kindergarten class.
This cute board book illustrates the classic Halloween fingerplay "Five Little Pumpkins," featuring Dan Yaccarino's signature bright colors and bold lines.

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My, it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
Then oooohh went the wind.
And out went the lights.
And the five little pumpki
This book was used as a poem in my kindergarten practicum classroom. The teacher taught the students the words and then taught them motions to go with the words. We used it as a fun activity to pass the time when there was just a little extra time before recess or the end of the day. It was really cute to watch them try to remember the words to the book. I know whenever I read this book I will read it in the poem form as it was taught to me. This is a cute book to use for a young elementary clas ...more
Kimberly Herrin
My kids love it and it is simple and short. My daughter tends to read it in a singing voice. If it can keep my son's attection then it is a good book for kids.
My kids love this rhyme from their Raffi CD. Even more fun now that they see it illustrated.
Cute kid story but not near as good as Room on the Broom.
This will always be a favorite!,
Did this poem with Kindies.
Title: Five Little Pumpkins
Illustrator: Dan Yaccarino

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Year of Publication: 1998

Grade level: K-1
Genre: Picture Book
Topics: Pumpkins; Halloween

Summary: This is a classic Halloween poem: five little pumpkins with jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, and witches.

Interactions Between Text and Illustrations: There are colorful images to support the text.

Curricular Uses: Read aloud or guided reading
Literary Elements: Personification
This is a story that I know by heart. Cute.
Such a cute little book with the poem as the story

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My, it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
Then oooohh went the wind.
And out went the lights.
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.
An amusing enough little rhyming book for the Halloween season. I was hopeful it was going to be like the five little joeys song from The Wiggles, but alas, it is not.

There is nothing wonderful about this, but nothing horrible either. with the dialogue, I think it would be an effective book to share with my students how to write dialogue. The punctuation is clear in this. I think I shall give it a whirl.
Katie Morrison
Five Little Pumpkins is a great poem to read around Halloween time. The short rhyming poem guides the young readers so they can read along too.
Katherine Cowley
This is a book about five little pumpkins, sitting on a gate. The pumpkins are excited for Halloween, and your toddler will be too as you read this book with them. My two year old has the whole thing memorized, and it's fun to see her so excited about it. The rhymes are catchy and memorable, and you can even read it as a "finger play"--doing actions with your hands as you read.
Meg McGregor
Little ones will be sure to laugh as the five little pumpkins sit on a gate, decide it is getting late, see witches flying through the air and then decide to run and run and run.

With the help of a friendly wind, their light goes out and they roll out of sight.

I like it but the text could be more structured and really have more to do with the holiday.
  • Big Pumpkin
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
Exhibitions of his work have been held throughout the world. He is also the creator of the animated TV Series Willa's Wild Life and Oswald.

Mr. Yaccarino lives in New York City with his wife and two children.
More about Dan Yaccarino...