Start by marking “Other Women” as Want to Read:
Other Women

Other Women

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The novel from bestselling author Lisa Alther—now available as an ebook

Caroline is a giver—as an ER nurse, as devoted lover to her partner, Diane, as a divorced mother of two boys, and as the daughter of world-class do-gooders—but can she accept help from others and still be herself?

When trauma cases in the ER leave Caroline emotionally paralyzed and her relationship with
Published December 14th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Other Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Women

Christine Gilbert
I wrote my Master's thesis on this novel. I loved loved loved it.

Every woman, in any situation, should read it.
Ruth
I read this many years ago. In fact, it is one of the handful of books I've read several times. It portrays depression and recovery well. I liked the characters and their interaction.
Alma
I love the shrink. She's one of the most memorable & enjoyable characters I've ever encountered.
Darlene
After reading Original Sin by Lisa Alther and having a hard time liking it in any way, I had a decision to make. You see I got both of these books through Kindle Unlimited which means they were free to borrow. I thought about returning this one, Other Women, and not reading it at all. Thank goodness I didn't. I loved this book!

If you have had a good experience with a counselor, dealing with problems of the past or current ones, this will feel familiar. I think everyone should have a good counsel
Rebekkila
What a nice surprise. When I started the book and realized it was about a woman going through therapy I figured I would get 50 pages in and then give it up. I ended up really looking forward to the therapy portions of the story. Odd, because I don't read self-help books and I am on the fence about therapists. The woman seeking therapy is a lesbian and I usually find that lesbians in books are there for the male readers entertainment.

Caroline has had several long-term relationships fizzle and de
Rebecca Hill
Each time I read this book...and the times have been countless...I take away something new that I've learned on how to view a situation or a person. There's so much more here than just words on a page. I've carried this book through many stages of my life and each time I read it, I learn, once again, how to embrace the world and the people in it. This book taught me how to be brave.
Sozie
Only got a few chapters in. Blech. Couldn't finish. I like books that make me feel my feelings, but this one is a lot about women's feelings that goes really really slowly and...I don't know, I just couldn't take it. This is one of the few books in my life that I've put it down without reading to the end.
Rena Searles
I liked this book. The story was about the relationship of a young woman and her therapist. However, I was not pleased with the particular edition I read - a Signet edition - way too many misspelled words, incorrect grammar usage, typos and poor punctuation. I found these flaws very distracting from the enjoyment of the read. I did really appreciate the therapy process and could read this book again, if only for the insight into the human psyche. I related very much to this woman's particular is ...more
Marti
i read this book because daughter susan told me that the author is the grandmother of her son's friend zachary. i found it at s book sale.
i found it somewhat interesting, but a little confusing in the way that the author uses flashbacks so often. also, the main character is a lesbian, so that was a different lifestyle which was somewhat disturbing. it is certainly about relationships, and how therapy can help a person.
Amanda
I originally read this book in the late 80' or maybe early 90's when I was in my 20's now in my 40's I still loved it. Though it is a bit dated I think the story has held up well. Caroline really annoyed me when I was a twenty-something I think I understand her better now but there were still parts when I wanted to strangle her. I hope to re-read some more of this author soon.
Ruth Marner
I haven't read this book in a very long time. Still, I was reminded of it b/c I read a quotation by Alther the other day. She said something like she was rejected 250 times before she ever got a book published. If you are interested in a perspective on lesbian life from circa 1970s and 1980s, you might want to check out this book. It's well written and entertaining.
Elvan
Too much navel gazing for me. At first I enjoyed the whole shrink/patient interplay. I liked the concept of transference and other psycological terms but after a while the whole book just dragged. By the end I didn't really care if Caroline was suicidal or not.
Ellen
I loved this book when I first read it and have loved it each time I've read it since. It traces a depressed woman's route through therapy to finding some sort of peace with herself. I found it very inspiring at the time as well as being a very good read.
Ruth
'85 doctor's wife undergoes psychotherapy to discover herself. Obviously the main character was a bit self involved, but I probably wasn't as interested in the character(s) as I should have been.
Amy
Loved it. Interesting to read a narrative which includes both sides of a therapist/client relationship. A lot of interesting thoughts about gender relations, relationships, and life as a whole.
Mari-Ann
I have read this book several times. One of my favorites. Can highly recommend it.

I haven't read it in a while. Guess it's time to turn the pages again in this gemstone of a book.

Mari-Ann
Jeg har lest denne bok på engelsk, mange ganger. Fantastisk historie som tar utgangspunkt i et terapiforhold. Kan anbefale denne på det varmeste.
Lynne
It was better in '84 when I first read it, this time I was mostly just frustrated by the main charater's unending angst.
Martina
A unique psychological work of fiction. There are many layers to think through.
Lynne
Terry
Terry added it
May 18, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Eugenia
Eugenia marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Shubhangi Goswami
Shubhangi Goswami marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
N
N marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • Running from Beige (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Undrawn
  • Angel Food and Devil Dogs (Maggie Gale Mystery, #1)
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • Descent from Xanadu
  • After Delores
  • The Writers' Conference
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)
  • The Friendly Young Ladies
  • Before It Stains
  • Green River Rising
  • Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
  • From Death to Morning
  • Stilettos and Steel
  • Seeds of War (Eden's Root Trilogy, #2)
  • My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • Living in Conscious Harmony: A Spiritual Guide to Being in the Now
Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance Kinflicks Original Sins Kinfolks: Falling Off the Family Tree - The Search for My Melungeon Ancestors Five Minutes in Heaven

“I always thought it was a question of achieving some permanent state of tranquillity ... but it's not. It's more like learning to surf. The waves keep rolling in, each different from the last, and you have to ride them, instead of getting pounded to bits.” 4 likes