Start by marking “Tres Tristes Tigres” as Want to Read:
Tres Tristes Tigres

Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Tres Tristes Tigres

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,157 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Pblockquote P Cabrera Infante aborda, de manera #250;nica y brillante, varios de sus amores, de sus obsesiones, de sus temas#58; La Habana, el ingl#233;s, la literatura, la jerga de la cuidad, las habaneras, el cine, la m#250;sica y la "nostalgia de la noche" P /blockquote P Ciertas novelas de horror y de intriga llevan la indicaci#243;n de que no deben leerse de noche. iT ...more
Published May 28th 1996 by Planeta Publishing Corporation (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Tres Tristes Tigres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tres Tristes Tigres

Jonfaith
Jun 13, 2010 Jonfaith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was dizzy and short of breath when I finally saw this on the shelves at Twice-Told back in my Boom days. My vertigo may have been induced by the fact that I lived on espresso and spent all food money on books and cds. Those were strange times of death-trap automobiles and working two full-time jobs to remain poor but literate.

The friendship displayed in the Three Trapped Tigers was beyond moving. The erudition itself was arresting but the emotional bond within the text captured me. I have fel
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Perhaps you could corroborate this for me ; but it seems to me that when your books start to suck, a very reliable avenue to take is one headed south. Cuba is as far as you need go. Three Trapped Tigers (the Spanish is better :: Tres Tristes Tigres) will get you there. Or, if not heading south, is it a matter of that Dalkey spine? Two birds, one binding. Happiland!

Two kwetch’s. First, What the hell is going on? is a feeling I rather depend upon for my proper enjoyment of a novel. Without those p
Vit Babenco
Oct 18, 2014 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“If you look closely, there is no book more visual than Three Trapped Tigers, in that it is filled with blank pages, dark pages, it has stars made of words, the famous magical cube made of numbers, and there is even a page which is a mirror.” – Guillermo Cabrera Infante.
If Jorge Luis Borges were to write a novel and if he did belong to the beat generation he would create an opus like this.
“I was going to reply when I heard that out of my mouth came a jet of music: violent, unstoppable, rhythmic.
Miloš Kostić
May 23, 2017 Miloš Kostić rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Šta reći o romanu za koji je u predgovoru napisano uputstvo za čitanje? I da, za razliku od većine predgovora, ovaj valja pročitati PRE prvog čitanja. Opisivati radnju u prikazu znači omašiti poentu. Ako je uopšte moguće jasno odrediti o čemu se zapravo radi.

Nije laka knjiga, ali samo je manji deo nerazumljiv za samo čitanje. Veći deo je lako čitati, što ne znači da ćete razumeti šta ze zaboga dešava. Ima delova u kojima sam hteo da pojedem i nokte i prste i celu knjigu. Zbog nerazumevanja i sal
MJ Nicholls
A punnilinguistic tour de farce—a hip and swinging hepcat’s tour around the Cuban vernacular and a strenuous intellectual workout for fans of exploding forms. Infante’s fragmented opus leans on the Sterne, Joyce, and Rabelais influence to a mirthmaking extent—bursting with puns and wordplays that deliver the same bursts of bliss as CB-R’s Amalgamemnon (esp. in the ‘Brainteaser’ section). The musical freewheeling ramble of the Beats can be found in the ‘I Heard Her Sing’ sections that form the em ...more
Teresa
Jan 17, 2017 Teresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-cuba, e1
uão dǝɹɔǝqı uɐpɐ
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
This starts strongly. Somewhere before its halfway mark I kept muttering brilliant brilliant brilliant, chuckling every now and then. But the author, with diverse characters in pre-Castro Havana, seemingly ran out of ideas. This, I suppose, can happen when a one writes fiction not really to tell a story, but only to play. Play with words. And indeed G. Cabrera Infante did a lot of things to words here. Almost every imaginable things one can possibly do to words. And names even: of authors (Aldus ...more
Jonathan
So reading this was almost a little experiment in how one's mental state affects one's experience of reading a novel. I am currently in the midst of the joyful fun and games which are withdrawal symptoms from trying to come off the antidepressants I have been on for many many years. What I can't tell is whether this book did not really work for me (i found it seemed to be trying to show off, often in a rather spiteful way (those piss takes of other authors felt a little off somehow, a little unp ...more
Megha
Sep 17, 2014 Megha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"When I had finished listening to Silvestre, without saying anything, before hanging up, hanging up the suddenly black terrorphone, in morning that mourning, I said to myself, Fuck and shit, the whole world dies! Meaning the happy and the sad, geniuses and morons, the open and the inhibited and the cheerful and the gloomy and the ugly and the beautiful and damned and the bearded and the shaven and those with five o'clock shadows and the tall and the short and the vicious and the innocent and the
Mala
Sep 19, 2014 Mala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strictly for lovers of experimental fiction

he himself was the master/designer of literary obstacles and he proposed then a literature in which the words would mean exactly what the whim of the author decided. (276)

betrayal is the name of the game in TTT: betrayal of life through language and literature. The ultimate betrayal is in translation, of literature and of language, of life. So why not betray the reader’s expectations as well?
—The Paris Review Interview

Just so we are clear, this book is not about any circus/zoo/exotic animals. Th
Dajana
May 01, 2017 Dajana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sve što čovek može o ovome da kaže verovatno nema smisla, što je Kabrera Infante onako baš lepo uredio. Ovde je glavni junak stilska figura, zapravo, i GKI gradi alternativan jezik nastao spajanjem različitih morfema, jezika, sintagmi, rekonstrukcijom rečenica, intertekstualnošću (700 fusnota!!!) i pravi baš jedan fin paprikaš od reči, ili bi on rekao rečni paprikaš, verovatno. Ovo je stanje svesti kao kad pročita čovek 800 strana u toku dana, sve mu se reči izbrkaju u glavi, počne da ga boli ...more
Shovelmonkey1
Oct 25, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: davemurray101 and the 1001 books list
Technically I've just committed an act of fraud by pressing the "I'm finished" button in order to write this review. I didn't actually finish this book. Didn't even come remotely close. Really I shouldn't be awarding a rating to this either. Essentially I'm awarding a rating to Guillermo Cabrera Infantes book which is entirely based on my own personal inability to engage with and absorb the writing therein.

But what the hell. I did try with this one but I really couldn't get on board with the wr
Lacolz
Feb 14, 2013 Lacolz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un juego. Un Juego. De palabras, en la estructura, de sonidos, con los personajes, con las palabras, con el Tiempo, con los números, con los tiempos, con la historia, en la narrativa, con la Historia. En todo. Con todo juega. ¡Prólogo, epílogo y todo lo que hay en medio de esos dos puntos! Desde la nota advertiva y pre-prologuera, ya está jugando, nos está plantando las reglas del juego. Y como buen juego, uno se divierte durante el trayecto.

De esos libros que obligan revisar capítulos anterior
Cody
May 31, 2017 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Lightning Review)

The literary equivalent of the first 100-or-so releases on Impulse. Don't worry about GGM, Cortazar, Infante. Think Coltrane, Mingus, and, especially, Acid by Ray Barreto, and The Latin Jazz Quartet with Eric Dolphy.

Lightning review rating: an evening of fun in the metropolis of your dream (thanks, Wire).

Tony Hightower
For my money, as underappreciated a novel as I have ever read. Imagine Joyce in Havana in the 1950's, hanging out with the two-bit glamor girls and the big-band underbelly of Cuban society, living an American Graffitiesque life with his two best friends, all of them chasing women and drink and privacy and kicks, and kicks, and kicks, and kicks.

When people say a book is laugh-out-loud funny, they generally don't mean it, but lovers of wordplay and who have even a vague understanding of mid-20th C
Eric
Oct 17, 2007 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yellow
Really mixed feelings about this one. Insanely dense "word play" But like a pit bull puppy that grew up too fast, the play has become an unstoppable torrent of aggression that kind of left me feeling battered. Perhaps some people I know would be more receptive to this kind of unbridled creativity, but I like my creativity with a bridle on it.
This book is about Havana, 24/7 and 100 mph. Day-Glo drunken hyper-realism bleeds into a mutant hybrid of meda-absurdity and formal logic. This book is lik
Mateo
Aug 10, 2009 Mateo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"It has been customary to read 700-page novels," writes James Woods in his famous essay on the the modern novel, "Hysterical Realism," "to spend hours within a fictional world without experiencing anything really affecting or beautiful." Woods had in mind writers like DeLillo, David Foster Wallace, Rushdie, and (especially) Zadie Smith, but he might have put Guillermo Cabrera-Infante at the top of the list. I would.

Of course, that's a little unfair of me, because I didn't read all of this book.
Peter
Mar 07, 2013 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tedious, drab, lifeless, insipid, vapid, tiresome, morose,exhausting, laborious, arduous, lacklustre, humourless and just plain boring.

The first line may give you a rough idea as to how much I enjoyed this book but let me tell you that I feel rather guilty about listing this book and review on this site because for me it was anything but a "goodread". In fact if I could have given it a minus score I probably would have, it gets 1 simply because it is finally over and done with.

The story such as
Clarita
Apr 30, 2015 Clarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Прекрасна и носталгична - за мен, докато четях, а със сигурност и за автора, докато е пишел тези истории, всяка от които - ако Куба не се е променила много, (а доколкото узнавам от приятели кубинци, не е ) - би могла да се случи и в този момент.
Помете ме усещането, че че току виж съм познавала хора или съм бивала част от ситуации, вдъхновили Инфанте Кабрера.

Тъга, смях, абсурди, достойнство...улиците, по които отново преминах, уханието на Хавана, врявата и безумството:), и калейдоскопа от посети
Богиня Книдска
Аз такива гъби не мога да ям.
Jessica Bee
the chapter on bustrofedon sends me into linguistic ecstasies. I can only imagine how amazing it must be in its original spanish.
Amber Berry
Although I was reading several other books at time, I felt I had to devote most of my attention to this novel, since I had requested my library to purchase it. I don't remember how it came to my attention, but I suspect it was because of a music reference.
I read about the first 200 pages, then skimmed through the middle sections and ended with the final 100 pages (there are 487 pages in the 2004 Dalkey edition.)
This book is for people who love words and wordplay, and don't mind cliches (which ar
Toby Elliott
Nov 28, 2007 Toby Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this little known cuban author has written a crazy, graphically engaging, rich novel set in - well, Cuba - in the fifties. the cabana! the cigars! the women! the drinking, the ecstasy ... but also, the darkness beyond ringside, the muttering in the wings. gunshots in the night.

i've loaned this book to a few friends & they've all been totally astonished that they'd never even heard of Guillermo Cabrera Infante before. for more information on him: . he has been compared to James Joyce as we
Israel Jaime
Sí, un ejercicio interesante de uso del lenguaje y la polifonía, sin embargo, me pareció ya rebasado por la época, es decir, como si hubiese perdido cierto valor leerlo actualmente que hace todavía veinte o más años. En su momento sí debió haber representado toda una aportación. Por otro lado, aunque reconozco en el libro un buen grado de experimentación, a veces me desesperaba que no ocurriera "nada", me quedé en suspenso las más de 400 páginas.
dianne
Sep 12, 2008 dianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuba
clever, wordy and occasionally hilarious - but a Whole Lot of verbal and intellectual masturbation - overall not worth the (great amount of) time.
Jen
One of the strangest things I read in a while. Full review to follow
Gijs Grob
'Drie trieste tijgers' is de Spaanstalige tegenhanger van Ulysses, een boek dat Cabrera Infante ook zelf vertaalde. Het is eigenlijk geen echte roman - een verhaal ontbreekt, en een groot deel van de hoofdstukken staan in geen of weinig verbinding met de andere. De rode draad vormen de belevenissen van vier vrienden in het Cuba van de jaren vijftig, en dan vooral het nachtleven daarvan.

Maar vooral is 'Drie trieste tijgers' een boek over taal. De schrijver geniet duidelijk van de mogelijkheden di
Zozetta
Jun 09, 2015 Zozetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μου είναι δύσκολο να περιγράψω ένα βιβλίο τόσο πλούσιο σε πρόσωπα, διαφορετικές φωνές που μιλάνε για μια Αβάνα, κυρίως νυχτερινή, τη δεκαετία του '50. Γεμάτο αναφορές μουσικές, κινηματογραφικές, λογοτεχνικές τόσο πολύ ώστε ορισμένες φορές να δυσκολεύεσαι να το παρακολουθήσεις. Δεν υπάρχει μια συγκεκριμένη ιστορία που εκτυλίσσεται με το συμβατικό τρόπο, είναι σαν να βλέπεις επεισόδια από τις ζωές διαφορετικών ανθρώπων που άλλοτε οι δρόμοι τους είναι παράλληλοι, άλλοτε απλά διασταυρώνονται για να ...more
Rowizyx
Questo è uno di quei libri in cui la trama ha un'importanza relativa. Serve a farvi conoscere una schiera di personaggi assurdi e dare modo di giocare all'infinito col linguaggio. Giochi di parole, richiami, divergenze tra una lingua e l'altra... La quarta di copertina recita così: "Il vero, unico protagonista di questo libro è il linguaggio, incarnato nella voce indiretta, mai esplicitamente riportata, di Bustròfedon, il personaggi più importante e significativo del libro".
Ma non è quello che B
Christian
Hmm, that was a bit weird.

Approached in the right frame of mind - as in, prepared to go along for the ride rather than expecting such fripperies as..erm..a plot - this was ok for a while. Some of the wordplay was fun and some of the earlier scenes conveyed quite well the adult playground vibe that pre-revolutionary Havana is supposed to have had (albeit in a very male-centric way).

Having said that, the lack of any real direction meant that it all became increasingly dull. The wordplay, fun at f
  • Paradiso
  • Larva: A Midsummer Night's Babel
  • Palinuro de México
  • Here's to You, Jesusa!
  • Senselessness
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • The Color of Summer: or The New Garden of Earthly Delights
  • Boquitas pintadas
  • El cuarto de atrás
  • The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll
  • Broad and Alien is the World
Escritor de origem cubana, Guillermo Cabrera Infante nasceu a 22 de Abril de 1929, em Gibara, Cuba, e faleceu a 22 de Fevereiro de 2005, em Londres, Inglaterra.
Filho de pais directamente ligados à política - fundadores, em Gibera, do Partido Comunista - desde cedo se viu confrontado com um forte ambiente de consciência política. Motivado pela profissão dos pais, Cabrera Infante viu-se forçado a mu
More about Guillermo Cabrera Infante...

“If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce?” 11 likes
“Así que así era yo y no había quien me cambiara, porque pasaba el tiempo y me ponía viejo y los días pasaban y se convertían en fecha y los años se convertían en efemérides y yo seguía así, quedándome con las noches, metiéndolas en un vaso con hielo o en un negativo o en el recuerdo” 3 likes