Start by marking “Apples and Pumpkins” as Want to Read:
Apples and Pumpkins

Apples and Pumpkins

It is Fall! And for one little girl, that means the special joys of visiting the Comstock Farm: choosing the reddest apples from the trees and finding the best pumpkin in the patch. Back home, she helps her mother carve a funny jack-o'-lantern face and puts a glowing candle inside her prize new pumpkin...just in time for Halloween and an evening of lots of "trick or treats ...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Aladdin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Apples and Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples and Pumpkins

midnightfaerie
Jul 23, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. I really enjoyed this book. Whether it was because it was a good book, or whether it was because it reminded me of fall, my favorite season I'm so desperately longing for this year, I'm not sure. But all my children enjoyed it, because we ended up talking about our favorite fall activities which include hayrides on our way to apple picking and of course, trick or treating. One of my 3 yr olds actually found ...more
Athena
Sep 30, 2014 Athena rated it it was amazing
Mom likes the farm part and Dad likes the costume part. I like all of it except the jackolantern page. Mom says I can give it five stars even if there's a page I don't like, because sometimes I have her read it three times in a row.
David
May 03, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Apples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell, pictures by Lizzy Rockwell is a classic Fall book for toddlers or preschoolers about a little girl, who visits the Comstock Farm to choose the reddest apples from the trees and find the best pumpkin in the patch. At home, she helps her mother carve a Jack O Lantern just in time for Halloween.

The text is simple, designed to communicate the simple joys of Fall and a visit to an apple and pumpkin farm. The story is a good choice to introduce younger childre
Anne Hong
Dec 06, 2012 Anne Hong rated it it was amazing
This book is shared every year.
Friendly illustrations and texts...
with a perfect sequence for Halloween

It is so much fun to add children's own costumes at the end of the page.

How can we resist this classical and universal story?
Jennifer Kelley
Oct 03, 2012 Jennifer Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for fall reading!
Kristie
Sep 24, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it
Shelves: autumn
A classic, good read for younger children.
Classic title, one that preschool teachers look for every fall. Talks about fall activities, and a very little about Halloween. Very low spooky rating.
Liz Todd
Nov 01, 2016 Liz Todd rated it liked it
Nice quick "story" for reflecting on how apples and pumpkins compare.
Tasha
Jul 13, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
If the heat of summer is getting to you, you can always look ahead to the crispness of fall. This new edition of the Rockwell classic keeps the same feel as the original. It is the story of a little girl who heads off into the country to a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. There they meet the geese, chickens and turkey who live on the farm. They pick apples and the little girl carefully selects her pumpkin which she later carves into a jack-o-lantern. The book ends with apples being given away o ...more
Carissa
Apr 09, 2013 Carissa rated it really liked it
The rosy cheeks on the people helps illustrate that the weather is chilly. The undefined forests in the background are beautifully rendered with watercolors. The simple drawings are charming. My favorite page is the basket full of red and shiny apples-- they aren't fully red, but a blend of green and yellow and red, true to real apples. I liked that the girl had orange hair and boots with traction. The father has a blue newsboy cap with a turtleneck sweater and the mother has a yellow kerchief. ...more
Rosa Cline
Jul 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween, fall
This is a very nice beginning reader book for smaller children, or beginning readers. The illustrations are very pleasing to the eye and helps a non reader stay with the story as it's being read to them. It starts out as a PERFECT Fall storybook to help young children about changing of the leaves lead to the time of year apples and pumpkins are ready to harvest. Then the family go to a farm to pick them themselves. Helping teach a child that may not experience that type of thing to realize where ...more
Amy Holliday
May 14, 2008 Amy Holliday rated it liked it
Comments on the Story:
The story is very simple. It is a nice story about going out to get pumpkins and apples in the Fall but overall the story is not that appealing or exciting. Also, it does not flow that well, I was not expecting it to end with her trick-or-treating.

Recommended Uses for the Book:
I think that this book could be used before a family might go to pick apples or pumpkins from a farm. Generally, I think I understand why this book was still left on the shelf and I would not recomme
Tim Johnson
Jan 07, 2016 Tim Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-time
I read this book for a story time program for 4-7 year olds. I think it may be a bit too easy even for them. Aside from that the story and the art are okay, not spectacular, but okay. It kind of makes me sad too because you can't really give out apples on Halloween anymore. People will look at you like you're the wicked witch (or wizard) from Snow White. You know at that point your apple is going in the trash and all you wanted to do was give out something healthy. As if there was no way to infi ...more
The Library Lady
Thank you to the publisher for reissuing this book! Part of a cycle of 4 books that celebrate each of the seasons, the simple words and bright clear pictures are pitch perfect for 2 and 3 year olds.

It was a favorite of my little girls when they WERE little girls and is something I read nearly every year at fall story times. I just wish they'd reissue the "Big Book" version which would be perfect for using with groups....
Jess
Oct 14, 2014 Jess rated it it was ok
This was by far the least liked book I read this morning. It's small (physically) with minimal pictures and really meandering story for something with so few words. Then it just sort of ends. Not reading this one again.

10/20/14 - ETA I've talked this one over with co-workers and they explained some better ways to present this book, but honestly for a story time aimed at 18-36 month-old kids it's just not worth the effort.
Tricia
Sep 01, 2011 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This title is an update of the classic by the same name. The author's illustrator daughter, Lizzie has spiffed up the illustrations quite a bit to give the book a more modern feel. I will always love this title and consider it a must read for fall storytimes. My review of the origianl: Nothing says "fall" quite like a Anne Rockwell title showing a family visiting a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. A classic fall storytime staple that ends with trick or treating.
Krista
Sep 08, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing
Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell is one of Elion's favorite books. She loves reading this book together, simple and easy. The illustrations are wonderful and colorful. I will also be reading this too her at the end of the month, when we learn about pumpkins! If you are going to visit an orchard or a pumpkin patch this is a great read to get your child excited about apples and pumpkins!
Jennifer Kelley
Oct 02, 2014 Jennifer Kelley rated it it was amazing
A great read for this time of year. A little girl and her family go to the farm to pick out apples and a pumpkin. They go home & make a jack o'lantern, and give the apples away for Halloween. My preschoolers enjoy this, and I always talk about the costumes & give them a chance to tell me what they are going to wear this year!
Heather
Sep 22, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, autumn
17 months - This book was a huge hit for O. We read this one probably a hundred times over the month we had it. Her verbal language was starting to take off and Apple, Pumpkin and Acorn were three of her favorite words to say and sign at the time. 31 months - found at the thrift store and thought I'd see if O still liked this book, she does! Such a simple. Ok but it still appeals to her.
Janet
Mar 30, 2016 Janet added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
This story is bursting with the feelings of autumn, from apples to pumpkins to turkeys, and Halloween. Illustrations with autumn colors enhance the aesthetic appeal of this book.

Age: 2+

Practice: Writing (After reading this story, children could use fall colors to illustrate their own picture of fall.)
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-my-boys
The story is simple and probably great for kids who have never picked their own apples or pumpkins but my kids have done these things, and everything else mentioned in the book, so they were a little unimpressed. They had expected something more and I feel the same, pretty much. But this is still a good book for early readers, just nothing I would go out of my way to suggest.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Halloween. Autumn.

Bright, colorful pictures of a girl and her family picking apples and pumpkins.

This would be a good book for a younger audience learning to read - can also use to reinforce fall/autumn vocabulary words.
Alice
Oct 29, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great early reader, about fall, and even Halloween. From the cover I was sure it was just a fall book, but they add a little Halloween to it !! The pictures are great the story is good, thumbs up for me!!
Jess
Oct 28, 2011 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool
Recommended to Jess by: One of those that kicks around preschool fall read lists
Shelves: picture-books, z_11
Since it's the story of a trip to an orchard / pumpkin patch, I don't get why it ends with trick or treating. That part doesn't jive with the rest of the story. Plus, it limits it to a Halloween week read.

Serviceable read that'll work for preschool.
Terry
This was a very simple book and seemed to lack character, but definitely explored the fun of Fall.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Paula
Very simple story which could be read by a beginning reader. Not as much focused on apples as it is on the pumpkin.
In preparation for Halloween night, a family visits Mr. Comstock's farm to pick apples and pumpkins.
Aleece
A story of going to the farm to pick apples and pumpkins and then it shows what happens to the pumpkin after leaving the farm. It turns into a jack-o-lantern.

This is a good book for young kids to see the sequence of events from fall to Halloween.
Samantha
A little girl celebrates fall by going to Comstock Farm with her family where they pick apples and pumpkins. Great nature imagery and prep for a young child who is soon to be visiting their first farm. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
RC
Oct 16, 2014 RC rated it liked it
Apples and Pumpkins tells one little girls fall adventures from picking the reddest apples to picking the best pumpkin in the patch. Then going home and carving the pumpkins and later trick or treating.
Dara