Start by marking “Apples and Pumpkins” as Want to Read:
Apples and Pumpkins

Apples and Pumpkins

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  54 reviews
It is Fall! And for one little girl, that means the special joys of visiting the Comstock Farm: choosing the reddest apples from the trees and finding the best pumpkin in the patch. Back home, she helps her mother carve a funny jack-o'-lantern face and puts a glowing candle inside her prize new pumpkin...just in time for Halloween and an evening of lots of "trick or treats ...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Aladdin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Apples and Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples and Pumpkins

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
Picture books about Fall
4th out of 58 books — 36 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsLeaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy TafuriLeaves by David Ezra SteinScary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting
Books about Fall/Autumn for Toddlers
15th out of 30 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. I really enjoyed this book. Whether it was because it was a good book, or whether it was because it reminded me of fall, my favorite season I'm so desperately longing for this year, I'm not sure. But all my children enjoyed it, because we ended up talking about our favorite fall activities which include hayrides on our way to apple picking and of course, trick or treating. One of my 3 yr olds actually found ...more
David
Apples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell, pictures by Lizzy Rockwell is a classic Fall book for toddlers or preschoolers about a little girl, who visits the Comstock Farm to choose the reddest apples from the trees and find the best pumpkin in the patch. At home, she helps her mother carve a Jack O Lantern just in time for Halloween.

The text is simple, designed to communicate the simple joys of Fall and a visit to an apple and pumpkin farm. The story is a good choice to introduce younger childre
Athena
Mom likes the farm part and Dad likes the costume part. I like all of it except the jackolantern page. Mom says I can give it five stars even if there's a page I don't like, because sometimes I have her read it three times in a row.
Anne Hong
This book is shared every year.
Friendly illustrations and texts...
with a perfect sequence for Halloween

It is so much fun to add children's own costumes at the end of the page.

How can we resist this classical and universal story?
Rosa Cline
This is a very nice beginning reader book for smaller children, or beginning readers. The illustrations are very pleasing to the eye and helps a non reader stay with the story as it's being read to them. It starts out as a PERFECT Fall storybook to help young children about changing of the leaves lead to the time of year apples and pumpkins are ready to harvest. Then the family go to a farm to pick them themselves. Helping teach a child that may not experience that type of thing to realize where ...more
Classic title, one that preschool teachers look for every fall. Talks about fall activities, and a very little about Halloween. Very low spooky rating.
Kristie
A classic, good read for younger children.
Tasha
If the heat of summer is getting to you, you can always look ahead to the crispness of fall. This new edition of the Rockwell classic keeps the same feel as the original. It is the story of a little girl who heads off into the country to a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. There they meet the geese, chickens and turkey who live on the farm. They pick apples and the little girl carefully selects her pumpkin which she later carves into a jack-o-lantern. The book ends with apples being given away o ...more
Jess
This was by far the least liked book I read this morning. It's small (physically) with minimal pictures and really meandering story for something with so few words. Then it just sort of ends. Not reading this one again.

10/20/14 - ETA I've talked this one over with co-workers and they explained some better ways to present this book, but honestly for a story time aimed at 18-36 month-old kids it's just not worth the effort.
Jennifer Kelley
A great read for this time of year. A little girl and her family go to the farm to pick out apples and a pumpkin. They go home & make a jack o'lantern, and give the apples away for Halloween. My preschoolers enjoy this, and I always talk about the costumes & give them a chance to tell me what they are going to wear this year!
RC
Apples and Pumpkins tells one little girls fall adventures from picking the reddest apples to picking the best pumpkin in the patch. Then going home and carving the pumpkins and later trick or treating.
Marcia
Teddy is going apple picking on Sunday, and I thought this book would be perfect to read with him on Monday. The illustrations are simple and bright--perfect for playing the "find it" game.
Maggie KutsBorg
It gets Halloween-y at the end, but if I want to leave holidays out of class I can just leave out the last two spreads. Before that, a very straightforward story about going apple-picking.
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
The story is very simple. It is a nice story about going out to get pumpkins and apples in the Fall but overall the story is not that appealing or exciting. Also, it does not flow that well, I was not expecting it to end with her trick-or-treating.

Recommended Uses for the Book:
I think that this book could be used before a family might go to pick apples or pumpkins from a farm. Generally, I think I understand why this book was still left on the shelf and I would not recomme
Carissa
The rosy cheeks on the people helps illustrate that the weather is chilly. The undefined forests in the background are beautifully rendered with watercolors. The simple drawings are charming. My favorite page is the basket full of red and shiny apples-- they aren't fully red, but a blend of green and yellow and red, true to real apples. I liked that the girl had orange hair and boots with traction. The father has a blue newsboy cap with a turtleneck sweater and the mother has a yellow kerchief. ...more
Michael
Nice, short book. I took off one star for promoting the giving of apples on Halloween.
Colleen
Solid choice for apple and pumpkin themed storytimes.
Amy Rae
Solidly okay without leaving much of an impression on me.
Rosemary
Quite charming and very earthy.
3.5
fall, apples, pumpkins, Halloween
Tricia
This title is an update of the classic by the same name. The author's illustrator daughter, Lizzie has spiffed up the illustrations quite a bit to give the book a more modern feel. I will always love this title and consider it a must read for fall storytimes. My review of the origianl: Nothing says "fall" quite like a Anne Rockwell title showing a family visiting a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. A classic fall storytime staple that ends with trick or treating.
The Library Lady
Thank you to the publisher for reissuing this book! Part of a cycle of 4 books that celebrate each of the seasons, the simple words and bright clear pictures are pitch perfect for 2 and 3 year olds.

It was a favorite of my little girls when they WERE little girls and is something I read nearly every year at fall story times. I just wish they'd reissue the "Big Book" version which would be perfect for using with groups....
Heather
17 months - This book was a huge hit for O. We read this one probably a hundred times over the month we had it. Her verbal language was starting to take off and Apple, Pumpkin and Acorn were three of her favorite words to say and sign at the time. 31 months - found at the thrift store and thought I'd see if O still liked this book, she does! Such a simple. Ok but it still appeals to her.
Kathryn
The story is simple and probably great for kids who have never picked their own apples or pumpkins but my kids have done these things, and everything else mentioned in the book, so they were a little unimpressed. They had expected something more and I feel the same, pretty much. But this is still a good book for early readers, just nothing I would go out of my way to suggest.
Leandra Cate
What a lovely book for fall! We came across this book in spring but I'm definitely putting it on my seasonal reading list to read in fall. Especially because we do the pumpkin patch in fall, this is perfect. The illustrations are simple enough to be engaging to my 18 month old and the text to picture ratio is right for her, too.
Dara
Jess
Oct 28, 2011 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool
Recommended to Jess by: One of those that kicks around preschool fall read lists
Since it's the story of a trip to an orchard / pumpkin patch, I don't get why it ends with trick or treating. That part doesn't jive with the rest of the story. Plus, it limits it to a Halloween week read.

Serviceable read that'll work for preschool.
Aleece
A story of going to the farm to pick apples and pumpkins and then it shows what happens to the pumpkin after leaving the farm. It turns into a jack-o-lantern.

This is a good book for young kids to see the sequence of events from fall to Halloween.
  • Mouse's First Fall
  • Time to Sleep
  • The Scarecrow's Hat
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • We're Going On A Leaf Hunt
Truck Stop Bugs Are Insects Only Passing Through Hey, Charleston!: The True Story of the Jenkins Orphanage Band Big George: How a Shy Boy Became President Washington