Start by marking “Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)

Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)

Ida Mae Babbitt has done her community service and is a reformed woman—no more law-breaking for her. But when Arlette’s granddaughter Eden discovers a mystery in a fancy nursing home, Ida Mae—with the perfect excuse of a broken wrist and a broken ankle—checks herself into the place. After all, it is for the greater good. Soon she’s buzzing around in her motorized wheelchai ...more
Published January 28th 2011 by Walnut Springs Press (first published January 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dearly Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dearly Departed

Shanda
Jan 09, 2011 Shanda rated it really liked it
Contest details and full review here: http://bit.ly/hWFe3H

I’m a big fan of Tristi Pinkston, both as a person and an author. Previously I have read a few of her more serious historical novels, so it was a real treat to read about the fun and quirky women known as “The Secret Sisters.” Tristi’s fun personality shines through Ida Mae, Tansy, Eden, Hattie, and even Arlette, not to mention sweet old George.

Tristi
Jan 05, 2011 Tristi rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Considering that I wrote this book, my opinion might be a bit biased. But I happen to think it's a pretty awesome read. It's just as fun as the first book in the series, "Secret Sisters," but the situations are just a little bit more realistic. We take the characters to a whole new venue, so it's not like reading the exact same book over again, and it will keep you laughing all the way through. Well, except for when you're on the edge of your seat.

So if you're looking for a clean cozy mystery, t
Joyce
Feb 09, 2011 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, e-books
5 stars for pure enjoyment.

Dearly Departed by Tristi Pinkston is a delightfully breezy mystery, definitely on the “cozy” side, filled with highly likable characters and a wonderful sense of humor. Although the characters are LDS, this aspect is done with a very light touch, keeping the story highly accessible to non-LDS readers as well. Ida Mae Babbitt is an adorable handful, though I admit, my favorite parts were the scenes between obituary writer Eden and her crime reporter cubicle neighbor,
Tristi
Jun 05, 2011 Tristi rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-it
Well, clearly it's the most brilliant piece of cozy mystery writing ever published! Of course, the author would say that ...

Honestly, I think it's a fun story. Ida Mae Babbitt and her friends get involved in some serious undercover work, infiltrating a nursing home to solve not just one, but two murders. It's very handy that Ida Mae has not one, but two broken bones, making her the perfect candidate for the task. With Arlette sneaking into the doctor's office to steal files and Tansy helping sta
Teri
Jan 15, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
Dearly Departed by Tristi Pinkston
After reading and reviewing dear Tristi's first Secret Sisters novel, I would have to say Dearly Departed is my favorite for one main and big reason. I worked in a nursing homefor 7 1/2 years, loving it, but the food mentioned in Ida Mae's dialogue and thoughts were sounding like a 5 star restaurant or cruise liner's cuisine.
From the first page, I was thinking that I was reading about Ida Mae's pratfall from her first adventure, but as I got through the chapter
Elizabeth Mueller
Feb 26, 2011 Elizabeth Mueller rated it really liked it
Book two in the Secret Sister Mystery series.

From the back of the cover:

Ida Mae Babbit has done her community service and is a reformed woman--no more law-breaking for her. But when Arlett's granddaughter Eden discovers a mystery in a fancy nursing home, Ida Mae--with the perfect excuse of a broken wrist and a broken ankle--checks herself into the place. After all, it is for the greater good. Soon she's buzzing around in her motorized wheelchair, questioning the residents and swiping files form
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Ida Mae has just finished a marathon of baking. She is expecting Tansy to arrive any minute. Ida Mae heads downstairs to retrieve something and loses her balance. That is exactly where Tansy finds Ida Mae when she arrives…at the bottom of the stairs. Now Ida Mae has a nice, new pink cast on her foot and the Relief Society by her side.

Eden West is a reporter for the Salt Lake Sentinel. Eden also writes the obituary articles. When Eden receives a request from Peggy to write her mother, Beverly Hi
Heather
Feb 22, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-i-own
our review and blog tour giveaway 2/24/11 www.fireandicephoto.blogspot.com

Dearly Departed is a bit like Golden Girls meets Nancy Drew. Three partners in crime solving, Ida Mae, Tansy and Arlette make up the "Secret Sisters" and the name of their game is to crack murder cases. The only hitch is that Ida Mae is starting to show her years. After two consecutive falls winds up out of commission. But, never fear...she is also the perfect candidate to solve the latest who done it at the Shady Pines Ca
Mormonhermitmom
Jan 07, 2011 Mormonhermitmom rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Ida Mae and the gang are at it again! In this sequel to Secret Sisters, Ida Mae comes to the aid of Eden, an obituary editor who has been asked to check into the death of an elderly woman at the Shady Pines rest home. The woman's daughter is convinced her death was suspicious but the police find no cause to be alarmed. Eden can only do so much interviewing the staff and director of Shady Pines. She needs someone on the inside...and Ida Mae is perfect for the job.

Ida Mae, with a convenient broken
Cheri
Jan 07, 2011 Cheri rated it it was amazing
I'm going to say I liked Ida Mae's second adventure a bit better than the first. I think it was, at least in part, because the book is longer--thus allowing author Tristi Pinkston more flexibility.

The short? Ida Mae's friend, Arlette, has a niece who inadvertently uncovers some suspicious happenings at a local nursing home. What is Ida Mae and her group to do but go undercover, infiltrate the place, and get to the bottom of the mystery? Makes perfect sense to me.

I really appreciated the charact
Mary
Aug 04, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
No, this is not great literature, but I am very very glad that I bought it at a book signing. Kudos for anyone who's published a book, much less several. Still, it was odd to read all the non-young person things that the young heroine did (who looks up a phone number in a phone book? and who on earth aspires to be a journalist these days?), and depressing (Post-End of Overeating) to read all the food references. They never stop and at one point the heroine suggests dipping burritos in ranch dres ...more
Kathy
Jan 06, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Dearly Departed is the 2nd Secret Sisters Mystery by author Tristi Pinkston. I recommend reading the first book Secret Sisters before reading this one because there are several references to characters and events that took place in the first book.

Like the first book, Dearly Departed is a fun, lighthearted read. Quirky characters and lots of humor make for an entertaining story. This is the kind of book you can curl up with at bedtime and finish in one sitting.

The 3rd book in the series comes out
Betsy Love
Mar 31, 2011 Betsy Love rated it it was amazing
Dearly Departed is not your typical "who-done-it". Its lively dialogue and quick wit make this murder mystery fun to read. There is enough romance to satisfy that genre, and plenty of humor to keep you giggling. Scattered throughout are red herrings and clues to keep you guessing as to who the murderer is. Hubby even read it--in fact he almost fought me for the book. We both enjoyed it, and we're looking forward to the next installment in the Secret Sisters series.
Debbie
Mar 20, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a great sequel to, "Secret Sisters". My daughter and I really liked this book. We are looking forward to reading the further adventures of the Secret Sisters and those they come in contact with. I liked it this time also. This is the second time that I have read it.

I just read this book again. This series is very funny.
Karen
Feb 05, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Won a copy on First Reads! Loved it!Just too funny. Quirky,sarcastic humor with fun characters trying to solve a murder. Goodreads was even mentioned on page 154. I am going to go out and purchase the first Secret Sisters Mystery.
Karlene Browning
Feb 20, 2011 Karlene Browning rated it really liked it
Loved it! A great follow up to Secret Sisters. Can't wait for the next one. See longer review on my blog at http://inksplasher.blogspot.com/2011/...
Sheila
Jan 07, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars to Dearly Departed! I am lucky to be part of the blog tour for this book. You can read my full review of this book on March 3, 2011 at http://www.whynotbecauseisaidso.blogs...
Glenn Stenquist
Jan 06, 2011 Glenn Stenquist rated it it was amazing
great
Vicki
Jan 08, 2011 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
Boy, another sleepness night, but I finished this book! I loved it. Ida Mae and her cohorts are in it again! Fun ride Tristi!
Cheryl
Feb 07, 2011 Cheryl marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
Looks like one of those fun books that are perfect for evenings after a long day.
K.C.
Feb 15, 2011 K.C. rated it really liked it
With each installment in the series that I read, I keep getting more and more hooked!
Connie
Mar 01, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Hope there are more to come with the Secret Sisters! I really enjoyed this one!
Susan
Mar 14, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing
Released from their callings in the Relief Society, doesn't keep these "Secret Sisters" apart. Given the challenge to uncover a death at Shady Aspens Retirement Center, the women go full-gun. Ida Mae will even go undercover to infiltrate the center and meeting some very helpful residents.
J. Morgan
Sep 14, 2011 J. Morgan rated it it was amazing
Dearly Departed is the second book in the Secret Sisters Mystery books. It's not your typical murder mystery--and that's what makes it so special.

When someone sits down to write a mystery novel, I doubt the first thing that comes to their mind is "I know! Let me write it where the hero is an old, er, "mature" woman. And, I'll have it take place in a rest home!"

However, Tristi makes it work.

I was going to write a synopsis, but Tristi did such a good job, I'm just going to post hers:

"Ida Mae Babb
Shanda
Full review originally posted on LDS Women's Book Review http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com/wo...

After enjoying Tristi’s more serious novels, I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first started reading The Secret Sisters series. I can honestly say I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest, and I’m not just saying that because I’m part of the blog tour. I loved the characters, story and writing in Dearly Departed. Eden, especially, has become one of my favorites. I think if I was an obituary editor, I
Kay Curtiss
May 31, 2011 Kay Curtiss rated it really liked it
Mystery is one of my favorite fictional genre to read, and to be honest a lot of LDS writer's "who done it" skills have been pretty predictable. I also have to say over the last couple of years, they have been honing their "who done it" skills and are getting better and better. However, what a lot do have down is creating great characters that keep you entertained, often laughing out loud at their antics - and Ida Mae and her cohorts are no exception in this second Secret Sisters Mysteries. It w ...more
Katie W
Jan 11, 2011 Katie W rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Dearly Departed is full of fun, and funny, characters who love to get involved in a good mystery. Four of the friends are older and one is a granddaughter. These ladies are a riot!

Eden, the granddaughter, is an obituary editor at a newspaper. A lady calls in and asks Eden to completely write the obit. When she ends it with "she left us before her time," the daughter calls and asks her to investigate her Mother's death. They plant one of the ladies, Ida Mae, in the care center the mother had liv
April
Dec 21, 2013 April rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Ida Mae and friends return in a second adventure. Ida Mae falls as she is going to her garage and breaks her ankle. And then she tries to take a shower and hurts her arm. Meanwhile Eden is attending funerals for some of the people for whom she writes obituaries. Beverly was living at Shady Aspens care center and she dies unexpectedly. Her daughter Peggy thinks that she was killed. She asks Eden to investigate. Since Ida Mae is Hirt and needs care they plant her at Shady Aspens to see what they c ...more
Amy
Feb 10, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Well i could have sworn I read the first book but I couldn't remember anything that had happened and so this book was confusing because of all the references to the first one. I didn't think it was predictable. It took a while for me to catch on to who done it. My mind didn't seem to be into this book. It wasn't a book i had a hard time putting down like some. It was hard to focus on what was happening but that might have been just me because I am a little distracted by other things right now.
Miranda D.
Sep 06, 2012 Miranda D. rated it really liked it

I really liked this book a lot! It has the mystery and suspense one would hope for but without any of the gory details or crude language so often associated with murder mysteries. I think the characters are so funny and I knew I had fallen in love with them when I started rooting for them to solve the cases. Tristi Pinkston kept the surprise element alive and had me guessing right up to the end. A very good, very fun read that I would definitely recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Blackberry Crumble (A Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Double Deceit
  • All's Fair
  • Smokescreen (Saint Squad, #5)
  • The Ball's in Her Court
  • Wrong Number
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Foggy with a Chance of Murder
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • If I Should Die
I'm a historical/contemporary fiction author, stay-at-home mom, homeschooler, freelance editor, and the owner of Trifecta Books.
More about Tristi Pinkston...

Secret Sisters Mystery (4 books)
  • Secret Sisters (Secret Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Hang'em High (Secret Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Targets in Ties (Secret Sisters Mystery #4)