Mistress Fortune

Mistress Fortune

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Kisaki Tachikawa has psychic powers. She works for PSI, a secret government agency that fights aliens. She’s in love with her partner Giniro, but PSI won’t allow operatives to get involved. Just when Kisaki thinks she may be getting closer to Giniro, she finds out she is to be transferred to California!
Published February 1st 2011 by Tokyopop

To ask other readers questions about Mistress Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress Fortune

Originally posted here at Anime Radius.

I've always been a moderate fan of Arina Tanemura's works - Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was a pleasant romp while Full Moon o Sagoshite had me in tears with every volume. However, I approached the glossily covered Mistress Fortune with no small amount of trepidation; I've never known shoujo manga-ka like Tanemura to do well in the arena of one-shot manga. They either end up too short or without any focus and become a big mess by volume's end. Luckily, this parti...more
I've read almost all of Tanemura's works, excepting Gentlemen's Alliance, and I like them all. This one-shot is cute and works with the idea of psychic powers, a la I.O.N. Also has some bonus shorts!
Katy
5 stars for the artwork. 3 for the story. I think I really would have enjoyed this if it were a series rather than a stand alone.
Anna-Lisa
I loved this one shot! The story is predictable but I simply love Arina Tanemura's drawings and her sugar cute stories! :)
Heather
A cute and fluffy read by the talented mangaka Arina Tanemura. Her artwork is simple gorgeous!
Steph
Apr 27, 2010 Steph rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Ms. Tanemura
Shelves: manga
Really adorable short manga. If you're a fan of Arina Tanemura, I suggest reading it.
Maia
I wish that Arina Tanemura would make this a series already! I've only read it twice, but I've fallen in love with the characters! Let's see, there's the two main-main people, Kisaki Tachikawa, code-name Fortune Tiara and Giniro Hashibo, code-name Fortune Quartz; and the main-side people, the captain who's name is Dr. Gunjo. I don't know if he has a code-name or not, 'cause the author just refers to him as "Dr. Gunjo." Oh yeah, and there's Giniro's Mom. I'm sorry, I don't know her name . . . I t...more
Samantha
Kereesa
There is a distinct style to [author:Arina Tanemura|311365's work that I think most fans, myself inclued, recognize. Tanemura writes pretty stereotypical shojo with a mix of romance and comedy. At first glance, anyway. But there is something about it, beyond the laughing-out-loud-on-the-floor-dying jokes, the gorgeous artstyle, and the often angsty romance storylines we see on the surface of Tanemura's works, that makes her one of my new favorite writers/mangakans recently.

And I think it has a...more
Chibineko
Tanemura is one of my guilty pleasure mangaka. Her work is almost always light & fluffy, almost like the book for of marshmallow fluff. Just like marshmallow fluff, it's best had in moderation & that's ultimately the best way I can think to describe this volume.

This is a one volume story & it's a good thing that it is. While the artwork is ultra adorable, the storyline is a little overly done as far as Tanemura's work goes. The characters are pretty much her stereotypical designs. T...more
Heffa
Nov 09, 2012 Heffa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12+
Shelves: manga
Arina selbst hat in dem Manga schon zu Beginn verlauten lassen, dass es eher ein "Lückefüller" zwischen zwei Reihen sei. Was schade ist, weil die Geschichte sicherlich auch Potential gehabt hätte, auf ein paar mehr Bände ausgebaut zu werden. Nichtsdestotrotz kommt auch hier wieder der tolle Zeichenstil und die durchdachte bzw. komplexe Geschichte zum tragen, die die Manga von Arina irgendwie zu etwas Besonderem machen.

Die Geschichte ging ziemlich schnell voran. Es gab glaube fünf Kapitel, davon...more
El
Mies, mieser, am mieseten. Arina, ist das dein Ernst? Ich erinnere mich sehr gut an ihre Vorgängerwerke und -serien, die ich so sehr gemocht habe. Von KKJ, Time Stranger Kyoko und Fullmoon habe ich alle Serien komplett hier in meinem Schrank stehen. Die waren einfach großartig und ich habe sie mit Begeisterung gelesen, doch was sie hier abgeliefert hat, kann man nicht mal als Zeitvertreib vermitteln. Die Geschichte der beiden geheimen Superhelden ist ziemlich anspruchslos und auch langweilig. Wo...more
Lily
Mistress Fortune (or MisuFo) is as cute as every Arina Tanemura's manga. The eyes get bigger and every female and male lead looks the same. Even though I've grown out of these love stories where the main character is in middle school, falls in love or has a crush and in the end they end up together, I still enjoy reading these as I fell in love with Tanemura's style when I was in middle school and since then I've dropped many series from my "to buy" list but whenever there's a new manga from Tan...more
Sarah Dane
Sweet and predictable :)
Emily
"Fourteen-year-old Kisaki Tachikawa has psychic powers. She works for PSI, a secret government agency that fights aliens. She's in love with her partner Giniro, but PSI won't allow operatives to get involved. Just when Kisaki thinks she may be getting closer to Giniro, she finds out she's going to be transferred to California!"

When reading the back i thought 'what a silly book.' but once i read it I fell in love with it! Its amazing. I would say its a very fun book!
Yumeno Katrin
EDIT (27/10/2013): Read in May 2013, re-reading. My first real english book. Before this I read books (actually, manga) on my notebook. Arina Tanemura is great mangaka and I love hers stories! Kisaki is little as me with her nature, but she's a lot madder.

CZ (prosinec 2012, čteno online)Původně jsem chtěla dát jenom čtyři, ale... Vzhledem v vydařenému bonusu dám pět. Fakt jsem se u něj nasmála, prý: "Profesor by mohl bejt holka."
Mizumi
Nice, quick read, lovely done as always by Arina Tanemura. I almost forgot how incredibly detailed her work is.
Even though it was a very short story (only three chapters, with two bonus chapters included hardly focusing on our main characters), it felt pretty complete despite its rather open ending. Yep, I really did enjoy this. Can I have an alien like Ibuko, by the way? (Or whatever they translated her to in English)
Stacey
This book was the best by far of all of Arina Tanemura's books. But Sakura Hime Kaden is better still.(laughs). Tachikawa Kisaki is a 14-year-old girl who's a drop-out ESPer. Her object of adoration is Hashiba Giniro, a superb ESPer who could use ESP at the age of five. Watch them as they become "Fortune Tiara" and "Fortune Quartz" and carry out their duties as a combination.
*Queen Diva*
A cute little one shot! It is refreshing to read a one volume series!

Though it was a bit unrealistic, and dangerous, that Kisaki has DD breasts and only weighs 89 pounds! When I was 14, I'm pretty sure I weighed more than that, and my boobs weren't nearly that big... unless she is like 4'8 but she looks to be about average height, around 5'4 or so... yikes.
Melissa
Today was bunny laundry day at the laundry mat and i brought this manga with me to read. I had picked this one up at Borders "Going out of Business" sale. : ( I loved Arina's past manga's and this one disappoint. My only complaint is that i wished it was a longer series. Arina did mention in the foot notes though that she may make a sequel. Here's hoping.
Jenalee
Sep 20, 2011 Jenalee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shoujo romance lovers
Shelves: manga
I picked this up at the library because the cover was cute. I didn't realize until I got home that I'd already was quiet familiar with the mangaka's work. It's an adorable middle school romance and only one book. It's all very predictable so definitely in the brain candy category. The artwork is lovely though. I quiet like Tanemura's style.
Maike
Arina Tanemura is one of my favourite mangaka, so I was definitely looking forward to reading this manga. The art is beautiful as usual and the story is light, happy and funny. the characters are really cute and the different short stories in this manga are very fun to read. Overall, I loved reading this.
Lysa
My favourite of Tanemura I think.
Beautiful work, cute story-line,
though I think some ends where left loose,
but still lovely.
Chelsea
This book was really cute! It had an interesting plot as well as some very fun and unique characters that really grab your attention.
Mazohyst
As much as I am in the "hate" phase of my love/hate relationship with Tanemura, this was surprisingly ok.
Kiko9o
Best book ever it's my favourite book of all times and I've read a lot of books
Elsa
Wha? What?? Pretty art but no substance and the end....no resolution.
Christina
Didn't like the ubrupt ending. Was a cute concept though.
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 05
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 04
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 4
  • Zodiac P.I., Vol. 01
  • Codename: Sailor V, Vol. 2
  • Pretear, Vol. 1 (Pretear, #1)
  • Rockin' Heaven, Vol. 01
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 01
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko, Volume 1
Name in Japanese: 種村有菜 (Tanemura Arina)
Western Zodiac: Pisces

Arina Tanemura was born on March 12, 1978. She's the author of Full Moon O Sagashite, Time Stranger Kyoko, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Sakura Hime Kaden, and more.

Her favorite hobby is Karaoke. One song that she sings is Smile, originally by Myco. She has two cats, named Riku and Kai. She has one elder and one...more
More about Arina Tanemura...
Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01 The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 01 Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01 Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 02 The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 02