Start by marking “Sitting Duck” as Want to Read:
Sitting Duck

Sitting Duck

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Max the Duck takes on adventures in babysitting!

In this NOOK kids book, children can tap to enlarge text and pinch & stretch to zoom in on pictures.
Published November 15th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sitting Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sitting Duck

Mark Fehlandt
Confusing at best, this book has no real discernible plot and so many characters that it's hard to keep track of them. The characters show no development nor do they seem to have very strong relationships to each other, and quoted statements aren't attached to any particular characters making it even more difficult to follow. Overall the illustrations are pretty strong, but they can't make up for the lack of a story, or any kind of lesson, moral, or new knowledge for kids to learn from.
Hector Gutierrez
Really nice illustrations, I recommend this book for anyone that needs a fun book to wake the class up. This book is really interactive if they can read children s books then this is there book. I would use this book to talk about how to behave with a babysitter and how to behave also.
Kiddo
Simple, fun, sweet. Reading more by this author at kiddo's request.
Paige P
I liked the illustrations. I think this story would be good for kids that are just doing some silent reading or reading for pleasure. There really isn't a message from the story. It's cute- just a book I wouldn't use for a learning opportunity.
GalindoLibrarian
Cute. I think kids will like it, but somehow not a lot of appeal for me. I feel nit-picky but I find there are too many character names and while the idea of mishaps while babysitting is a fun story idea the plot of the story was a little ho-hum.
Rachel Rouleau
Confused by the sheer number of characters popping in and out of this story. This was our first Max the Duck book and I'm guessing this is the worst one?
Libby
My 21-mo-old son really liked this book. I found the illustrations and expressive text to be fun, though the story is not particularly memorable or clever. I thought there were a lot of unnecessary character-mentions, which was quite confusing for the first few read-throughs. It took awhile to realize who was who, and even now, I don't know who all the characters are. It makes me think that maybe this is supposedly a popular series and "everyone" already knows all the characters? I've never hear ...more
Karen
Jun 07, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I expect SO much from this book -- it didn't deliver anything. There wasn't even a story, and I have no idea who most of the "cast" is.
Cooper Elementary
Feb 09, 2011 Cooper Elementary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-picture-books
Max the duck is helping his friend Brody babysit his niece Anabel. After playing dress up, chef and ball, Brody is tired. He tries to get Anabel to take a nap, but he’s the one who falls asleep. Anabel begs Uncle Max to take her outside. Max thinks one puppy won’t be any trouble, but that’s a big mistake!

The cartoon-like pictures show just how busy Anabel is. Young readers will enjoy seeing how Max solves Anabel’s biggest problem. This is also a great book to use when talking about reading expre
carissa
When Brody's niece Anabel comes for a visit, Max and the gang's only job is to keep her out of trouble. How hard could it be to babysit a puppy anyway? To Max's surprise, this fun-loving pup can't help getting into trouble—especially when set loose in the backyard. Turns out being a “sitting duck” is a lot harder than Max expected!

In this hilarious Max the Duck book, children will delight in the silly mayhem that results when Max tries to be a good babysitter.

I didn't really like this book for
Libby
Jun 04, 2012 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Not sure about this series--I've read a couple, but they just don't click for me. In this episode, Max the duck has become part of the family with Brody the (sheep?)dog, Irene the human, and a whole lot of other animals and gets roped into babysitting for Brody's niece. Has cute elements, but again, just doesn't quite mesh for me. I think there are too many animals (I find it hard to keep characters names' straight) to be able to really identify with them.
Carol Royce Owen
This was ok, but a few too many characters which I thought would make it confusing for its intended audience - Kindergarteners through 2nd grade. I had to keep checking to see which character they were referring to as they mentioned one after another. The pictures are full of energy, though, so children should like it.
Elizabeth
This is such a cute book and very helpful for teaching prediction. The way the events unfold naturally lend themselves for asking what could happen next. The way the text is in the book, it is paired with that particular illustration and so makes a smooth transition for students who use the illustrations for meaningful clues.
Pam
Mar 11, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max the Duck and Brody the dog take on babysitting Brody's niece for the day. Not as great as the other ones, but still a nice story. There are the usual complications of watching young ones. Anabel makes a mess and gets in trouble, falls asleep looking like an angel.
Elizabeth S
Sep 20, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-picture
Cute. Really cute. I truly enjoy the personalities of the various animals in these books. (It is a whole series of picture books. Read 'em all!) In this one, the animals join forces to babysit. Somehow, it takes everything they've got. Welcome to kids!
The Brothers
Max and Brody (the dog and duck of this series of stories) agree to puppy-sit Brody's niece. They think it'll be easy, but soon learn that a puppy can be quite a handful.

Fun illustrations.
Rebecca Snodgrass
This book was too confusing with all the names and animals. I still don't know who is the one being babysat. However, the pictures are adorable. I enjoyed them very much. I just could not follow the story very well.
Earl
Quick Review: Not even the illustrations could save this book from a one-star rating. Even though I'm not the target demographic, I still appreciate humor in children's picture books- in which this was very short on.
Kelly
Funny book. Duck was a good sport for caring for the big puppy - what could go wrong with that? was the tagline of the book - that might set anyone else into a panic.
Kim
Oct 22, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
fun story about animal friends babysitting a puppy; adorable illustrations; loved the idea of a scrapbooking duck

themes: babysitting, ducks, dogs, puppies
babyhippoface
I like the first book, Duck at the Door, but this one was disappointing to me. It seemed formulaic and unoriginal. There wasn't much humor, either.
Syd
Apr 02, 2011 Syd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the little dog was really annoying and how she eventually almost hurt herself and how the 2 uncles came to the rescue.
Carol Mcgloshen
The book has good illustrations. And I like the talking parts of the book. But other than that, not one of my favorites.
Heidi
Not the best "Duck" book I've read. But still a fun story and fabulous pictures. I enjoy these books.
Tina Bartholoma
Max the Duck sequel, pet sitting, babysitting, dogs, good for storytime
Amanda Taylor
Very fun book to read to the kiddos. The will love the fun of it.
Kim
I've liked other "duck" books better, but not bad.
Cara
Feb 03, 2010 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not as good as some of the others in the series.
Aiden
Jun 17, 2016 Aiden rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scholastic book club purchase.
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • No T. Rex in the Library
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Bad Boys
  • Firehouse!
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Big Bad Wolves at School
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Todd's TV