Start by marking “The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft: The Complete A?Z for the Entire Magical World” as Want to Read:

The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft: The Complete A?Z for the Entire Magical World (Element Encyclopedia)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Following on from the hugely successful Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells, comes the next bumper encyclopedia celebrating all facets of witchcraft. This definite book is the most comprehensive, authoritative and entertaining guide you'll ever find on the mythology, folklore and traditions of magic.In this mammoth magical treasure trove, Judika Illes explores the history, ...more
Published April 15th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft

Donna
This "review"'s going to deviate from my standard reviews a bit. Back to your regularly scheduled reviewing next time.

A commenter on my other blog and I were having a little conversation about book buying in the comments of one of my posts there. I don’t know about you, but right now I need more books like I need a double lobotomy. Like I told him in my comment, when I went to pre-order Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, I just had to pick up Why We Suck by Dr. Denis Leary. The man is m
Espresso

Not a complete waste of time. Interesting historical notations lead to further study.
Tracey-anne McCartney
Full of information, a comprehensive volume.
C.J. Moseley
A reasonable summation of Neo-pagan belief systems. Very useful for any author who intends to write paranormal fiction with spells, but there are better resources available.
Lori Schiele
A 886 page book that covers everything related to witchcraft including animals, botany, fairies, the Horned One and how he relates (or doesn't) to the Christian Devil, magickal places and things, Women's Mysteries and even the "Witchcraft Hall of Fame". A must-read for anyone interested in witchcraft.
Jovy
Good reference especially if your reading a story about witchcraft...covens...potions... spells. Also have a good historical information. It's almost like the Wikipedia of witchcraft but more comprehensive and you don't have to go from one screen to a different screen...
Tara
As I stated before, Judika Illes is a fabulous writer. Her research is factual and informative. I highly recommend tis book as a companion to The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells.
Simba
I like it. The section on witch trials is interesting, and it has a lot of titbits of intriguing information
Nawal Al Hosani Scorpion DOADA
Its a reference as the title sugguests.... & Really detailed and informative and some what inspiring....
Nikki Ashendorf
This is a great book of info and hystory of witchcraft, a great reference companion for any witch/pagan.
Gwnhwyfer
From the bibliography of Ellen Dugan's Green Witch's Herbal (2009).
Paganwitch
Everything you ever wanted to know about witchcraft.
Carol Dobson
A wonderful and comprehensive account of witchcraft
Eileen Fikes
Apr 16, 2009 Eileen Fikes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know
Full of information....Love it!!!
Eileen Fikes
Apr 16, 2009 Eileen Fikes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who wants to know
Loved this book....Great information
Lyn Mckenzie
so much information!!!!!!
Mary
Jan 07, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Tessa
THE Staple. 'nuff said.
Kira Ryder
Kira Ryder marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
JENNIFER JONES
JENNIFER JONES marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kzane Bourne
Kzane Bourne marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Ashley Chaney
Ashley Chaney marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Relanni
Relanni marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Rosaro
Rosaro marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Maddy
Maddy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Sarah Wiuff
Sarah Wiuff marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Tessa Rockwell
Tessa Rockwell marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Utterly Wicked: Curses, Hexes & Other Unsavory Notions
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • Natural Magic
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst
More about Judika Illes...

Element Encyclopedia (10 books)
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Vampires
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Birthdays
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts The Weiser Field Guide to Witches: From Hexes to Hermione Granger, from Salem to the Land of Oz