Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Now that you've bought that amazing new DSLR, you need a book that goes beyond the camera manual to teach you how to take those great shots. One key element is composition--the creative arrangement of components in the shot, and the way a viewer's eye travels through an image.
With Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots, author and photographer Laurie Excell starts wit...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Peachpit Press

Lisa
I Know I finished this a while ago... and recall being somewhat inspired but not overwhelming 'taught' on composition... I guess I have a specific void I'm working to fill when it comes to composition and this book didn't cover it for me.

As a beginning photographer, however this would have provided great insight on how to truly take my snapshots and make them better..
Sharon Wilbur
If you're looking for basic instruction in photography, the first four chapters can be useful. But if you already understand your camera, skip them. I question her "full-frame" claim in a couple of images, so expect a different result if you shoot with one, but overall Chapters 4-10 are good discussions about composition. I particularly loved 6-10; I have been shooting for a while. It's a great beginning book.
Aubree
This is a great book to teach photography. It was the perfect level for me, not so beginning that it explained what every little word meant, but not too advanced. Each chapter has homework assignments to help you practice what you studied in the chapter. Now that I have read the entire book, I need to go back over each chapter in detail and get the motivation to go out and really put to practice what I have learned.
Roman Rampinini
A good book to introduce you to the reflex camera world. Keep taking awesome pictures and enjoy!
Michael
This is a really good book for someone trying to mature their photography skills. I picked it up from Steve Simons at a photography class at MacWorld Expo this past year. While it took me a long while to read, this is because it does a really good job of providing a set of exercises at the end of each chapter. Highly recommended!
Kristina
Oddly focused on aperture priority (to me, blurry background is SO wedding photo), but otherwise nice and contains some good tips for the just-starting-out. Particularly suited for aspiring nature photographers.
Shila
I really liked this book. As a beginner photographer it taught me a lot.
Ian Thwaites
Ian Thwaites marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Richard Diaz
Richard Diaz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Gabor Veress
Gabor Veress marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Doug Lorella
Doug Lorella marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Wildlife Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots Komposisi: Dari Foto Biasa Jadi Luar Biasa Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots Composition From Snapshots to Great Shots (Second Edition) Bildkomposition - Vom Schnappschuss zum perfekten Bild (Digital fotografieren) (German Edition)