Start by marking “Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy” as Want to Read:
Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy

Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A favorite savings manual now updated for today's economy with proven tips for saving money on everything from groceries to insurance, over 150,000 in print.
Published April 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Miserly Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miserly Moms

Lori Kincaid
I was not impressed. If you've been trying to cut back for any length of time and/or are familiar with any of the *how to* tips that most folks suggest, then this book is just more of the same. And even though she tries to address working moms at some point, her whole concept is based on going from two incomes to one. I'm a working single parent already living on one income. I don't have time (nor do I really care) to save 15 cents by making my own muffin mix or save $1 by making my own playdoh ...more
Lindsey
What this book is about:

Have you been thinking about becoming a full-time stay-at-home mom? Are you trying to cut costs and save money for your family? Maybe you would just like to learn to live frugally but comfortably? Then this book is for you!

Okay, so in my opinion this book is for anyone - moms, dads, singles... anyone who would be interested in some great tips on saving money and living healthier can benefit from Miserly Moms. I find it to be an invaluable resource that I'm sure moms will
Lisa
I will not claim that I am the budget queen or that when I set goals I always obtain said goals; but as my girlfriends can attest I love learning how other ladies do things and like taking their ideas and then trying to apply them. That is probably why I loved this book so much. I found reading it was so enjoyable that I had a hard time putting it down, something that doesn't regularly happen to me when reading books like this. Normally it takes me forever to get into the book and every time I p ...more
Trish
I have mixed feeling about this book. I liked a lot of what the author's thinking porcess on most thinkgs for example using coupons/ getting it cheap or free on items that you don't use is not really a deal. Another example is cloth diapers vs dispoal diaper. She takes all the cost of cleaning the cloth diapers into consideration. There are some parts in the book I didn't think were updated like there is no metioning how to budget in home internet.I didn't like how everything goes back to 1991. ...more
Piaget91
This book is an incredible information source on how to save money (by smart planning not cutting crazy coupons), cook basic things from scratch, and think about the cost of food differently.

I bought this book in case it had a good tip or two for meal planning/grocery shoppping, and have come away with great ideas for having pancake, soup, and biscuit mix cheap and on hand at all times, as well as real solutions for saving more at the grocery store (and I already spend very little and make most
Susanhayeshotmail.com
I have waffled between a three star or four star rating. This is a good little book, packed with some good guidelines, including some solid advice regarding some ways to be penny wise but pound foolish, so I'll give it the four. The reason I waffled is that I didn't actually learn much myself and I don't agree with her claim that a freezer is not a good budget saving tool. To be frank I find it amazing that people do not already use many of these basic money saving tactics, planning menus around ...more
Elizabeth Fryer
Great info for working and stay-at-home moms. I appreciated the info on the "cost of working", I never realized how much it cost me just to have a job, no wonder I never had any money back then. The recipes are pretty good too, the cinnamon rolls are to die for, except I added 1 cup Cool Whip to the frosting for a fluffier texture and creamy flavor. It definatly makes me realize that when I go back to work someday, I will need do a lot of meal planning and budgeting in order to save money so tha ...more
Dana Kennedy
Didn't get much from it.
Kelly Decoteau
Full of good info but mostly things I already do. Inspired me to take a look at our utility bills and see where I can cut costs.
Molly
This book is about moms going home to stay with their children. It makes no reference to the economy and makes no bones about being an overtly christian and mom-staying-home-centric book, although the tips are applicable to anyone. It's full of tips that are not particularly useful to anyone who has ever read a book about being frugal, although she does mention that there are better deals buying off brands than there are clipping coupons. I gave it a one.
Maggie Hall
Some of this information I already knew- like wash clothes in cold water, etc. But it has some good recipes and formulas for money saving meals, playdoh, cleaning agents, etc. Worth a skim but unless you can change the way you shop (like going to several stores and only once a month) hard to put into play all the tips. With two little kids, I can't linger that long in the aisles or split my list too much before the peanut gallery rebels!
mandy
Would like to cut back my hours at work, so decided to check this book out for tips. It is a revised version of a much older book, and a lot of the resources cited are still from the early 90s or even before.

Same old, same old, really...
Make food from scratch.
Buy used.
Staycation instead of vacation.
Bargain shop
Coupon clip
etc etc etc

Some helpful recipes for make-your-own mixes and such, but otherwise, just so-so.
Tatiana
This book was really informative. McCoy has a lot of great ideas on how to cut back. I plan on implementing a lot of them. I enjoyed her personal experiences, her insights into how important stay-at-home mothers are, and all the information (from healthy foods, to making your own crafts, to making your own homemade cleaning supplies) she provided. Definitely worth a read!
Jen
I found this book to be very helpful, and I plan on implementing many of her suggestions. I like that you don't necessarily have to do every single thing in the book to save money. I have to say, however, I was a little thrown by the pretty strong Christian message in the book, which I wasn't expecting. Overall, the book was helpful, which is what I was looking for.
Lisa Fluharty
I didn't think that the info was anything revolutionary or anything I hadn't heard before. If you were just starting out on a more frugal path, then this book might be good for you.
Amber
One of the more practical books on living a thrifty lifestyle that I've read. I like that the author admits she loves luxuries and pays for them when she can. Most books take the stance that you can NEVER pay full-price for anything or buy anything just for the pure joy of it. Excited to try some of her hints and receipes.
Kristin
Turns out I AM the cheapest person alive. Can't think of one thing I learned here, although in general its good, thrifty advice. Guess I was just a wartime housewife in my past life, after all. She could have done less of the I'm a Christian, stay-at-home mom because I'm better than you vibe, though.
Hillary
This was a great money saving book. Lots of good ideas to try, including new recipes and kid activities, and homemade cleaning products. Nice. I love that she explains that her reason for saving money is so she can manage to stay home with her kids, even in expensive San Francisco!
Kristen
This book gave me some great tips on how to save money. It didn't leave me feeling like I have to give up everything. I especially like the suggestions on grocery shopping and making items at home. I hope to implement some of these ideas to save $$.
Debbie
This book is OK. Most of the info seems like basic common sense to me. But I suppose if someone is in a double-income family who wants one parent to stay home, or someone who spends more than they earn, this info would probably be useful.
Melanie
Not bad but definitely geared towards families with multiple children. Lots of emphasis on things like parties and entertaining and with grody (read: budget) recipes. Good info on the economics of a second working parent.
Emelda
Most of this stuff you probably know if you'd ever read any frugal books/websites but it was a little better then I thought it would be, I learned a few new things. Plus, it had a ranch dressing recipe! Vegan, homemade ranch yay!
Sarah Krafcik-schaffer
Thought this book was boring. Ended up just glancing through it. Might try a few recipes from it. Not too impressed. I think it was the writing style...nothing really grabbed my attention.
Toni
This is a great book full of useful tips. She states that the highest savings can come from becoming a careful grocery shopper. Cannot wait to try her tips and see if they work.
Susiane
I loved this book. It talked about one womans decision to cut back and save money in order to be a stay at home mom. Good tips on ways to cut back, even just a little bit.
Jill Kemerer
Full of useful advice for families trying to live within their means. I first read this book in the late nineties, but the updated version makes it worth the re-read.
Suzanne
This book had some interesting ideas, but nothing that was that inovative. Worth a quick scan, but don't hope to gain any enormous insights.
Ronica
some good tips, good philosophy, and good recipes. I've seen or read a lot of the information before, but I like the way she approached her book.
Diana Nelson
Lots of helpful info, but lots I already knew. Good recipies for household cleaners. Looking into her new cheap but nutritious cookbook now.
Hilary
I liked this for the recipes section. There are so many items we buy at the grocery store which can be made at home fairly easily. Food for thought!
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means
  • Financial Peace Jr.: Teaching Kids About Money! : "Cool Tools" for Training Tomorrow's Millionaires!
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill
  • Debt Free Living
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier & Healthier for Less
Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy Healthy Meals for Less: Great-Tasting Simple Recipes Under $1 a Serving Miserly Meals: Healthy, Tasty Recipes Under 75 Cents Per Serving Frugal Families: Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two Income Economy