Start by marking “Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People” as Want to Read:
Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People

Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People

Your job as a manager is getting harder all the time. But your most critical responsibility--especially in today's world of intensifying competition--is how to help your people shine their brightest.
How do you inspire solid contributors to strive for more? What should you do if a star player falls off their game?
In Shine, bestselling author, psychiatrist, and ADD expert
Published January 13th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press

To ask other readers questions about Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shine

Schmacko
Dr. Edward M. Hallowell is an expert on ADHD, so it’s kind of funny that he’s written a business book on motivating your employees. (Are my employees hyperactive children? Some managers might say their employees act this way!) As a scientist with vast knowledge on the human brain and behavior, Hallowell can really strut his stuff. As a writer, he is pretty clear and concise. He quotes a lot of great sources, and some of his stories and examples are fascinating.

There are three reasons I am giving
Bob Selden
Sep 03, 2016 Bob Selden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shine has one of the best introductions I have read in a long while. Hallowell’s story of meeting “Dr. Shine” at the airport was inspiring. This story also gave the author the opportunity to overview the content of the book and the concepts he was to cover. I couldn’t wait to see what was to come and eagerly turned the pages.

My enthusiasm dissipated somewhat as the book progressed. Not that it’s not good – it is. Hallowell does a great job of synthesising much of the brain psychology research in
Daniela Raț
Reading this book, I learned to better target some questions concerning myself and the relationships between me and the the people surrounding me. I think we can apply some of the principle revealed in the book in everyday life, not only in management and relationships at work.
It also helped me identify some things that I was always wondering or concerning about, but didn't know very well where they came from or how to understand them better, thus making it easier for me to tackle future situat
Mikal
Mar 05, 2013 Mikal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with easy to follow concepts as to what factors lead to success from teams and employees.

I suspect that much of this book is biased by a "golden rule" philosophy held by the author (as it's clear that more Machiavellian approaches than "Play" are in effect at many of our top performing organizations and teams.

So with that selection bias in mind.

The priniciples are sound and easy to understand. I may not refer back to the book often but the five principles beginning with selecting - g
Marcia
Jul 20, 2011 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Debbie
While targeted to business, there is so much overlap with education.

There wasn't much new here. Hallowell's Cycle of Excellence: Select, Connect, Play, Grapple and Grow and Shine seem pretty familiar. The book did have some interesting passages: Having at least one "best friend" at work greatly improves job satisfaction and productivity. "Working harder" (what does that really mean? Working more) doesn't usually solve anything if you are struggling in your work--it probably just means you are i
Ariadna73
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
I found the most amazing quotes in this book. It is a great reference and a source of such good advice about how to help people increase their value and overcome their limitations in business and in personal life. But it is not the average manager-help book.

It really takes the time to explain the processes behind the most difficult problems that happen to workers and teams. I will definitely use it as one of my refer
Rick Jackson
I found this book to be okay in re-affirming some of the understanding I of Brain Science that I already knew, but it is rather remedial and obvious in many of its application. Like some stress is good too much stress bad. Or if you're at an impasse, stop and do something else and don't think about it. I didn't consider the book a waste of time because re-affirmation is not a bad thing, but there was little that the book taught me.
Will Benham
Jun 09, 2013 Will Benham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shine outlines all the little things you can't put your finger on that make great managers and workplaces so amazing. The recaps at the end of each chapter were super helpful in organizing my thoughts and notes too. With simple stories, case studies and insights, Shine shows how to get the best out of the people you work with, and build a case for a better workplace.

(Full disclosure: I listened to this as an audiobook, so I can't really speak to how easy to read it actually is)
Elizabeth
What drew me to this book was the fact that the author is Ned Hallowell, who wrote 'Driven to Distraction', one of the best books I've read on ADHD. He is a credible psychiatrist so I was interested to see what else he had to say about motivation. This is an easy and enjoyable read if you don't stop to highlight every other paragraph (bad habit of mine).
Martin Hernandez
De lectura ágil, este libro contiene varios buenos consejos para mejorar el "management" del personal que tengas a cargo. Presenta una especie de "método" o algo así, para empoderar a los empleados, que me parece un poco difícil de implementar, pero dejando eso aparte, me quedo con los consejos, que son muy valiosos.
Jonathan Cassie
Being the neuroscience nerd that I am, I wanted the brain science to be way more "hardcore" than Hallowell offers. This isn't a bad book by any means, I just wanted more cutting edge research and less business school. Still, there's content here well worth considering as I plan a management practice.
Alicia
Jul 11, 2011 Alicia rated it really liked it
This was an excellent and highly readable management book. I'm not even sure why I picked it up, as I am not in management, but it was compelling and good and I just kept going back to it. Highly recommend!
Rosanna
Mar 06, 2013 Rosanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. I enjoyed the advice it gave along with the explanations based on biology and psychology. The tone is nice and it is fun to read. It was nice to know that there is more than one way to go about a task.
Christopher
Dec 10, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hallowell writes as straight as could be to illustrate The Cycle of Excellence, and because of his brevity there's an opportunity to learn on every page. Solid read for managers and leaders. Topics include management theory, human behavior and psychology, sprinkles of neuroscience and emotions.
Drdeb Lonzer
May 23, 2013 Drdeb Lonzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not bedtime reading but fun and useful
Debb
Sep 03, 2015 Debb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will be revisiting this book before doing career development for folks!
Suresh
May 26, 2012 Suresh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a ver fast read and enjoyable. I reaaly liked the shoe shine story. I have started to use some of the techniques at work.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on performance management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Cara
Sep 01, 2012 Cara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for a Library Management class...
Kim
Feb 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read for a management class, but frankly it didn't impress me.
Lihsian
Jun 15, 2011 Lihsian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn
Mar 25, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing approach to the challenge of creating an environment where people want to come to work. This should be common sense, but is highly uncommon.
Archana
May 08, 2012 Archana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
For those who like to know the science behind motivation, It is really nice pick...
I loved this book for the fact it has really practical guidelines that can be adapted easily.
BLACK CAT
Overall good advise but not too entertaining.
Jocelyn Dunks
Jocelyn Dunks rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Tisha Anthony
Tisha Anthony rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Joshua Makanjuola
Joshua Makanjuola rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
J.R.
J.R. rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 (Thomas Nelson))
Edward M. Hallowell is a child and adult psychiatrist who specialises in ADD/ADHD and who also has ADHD. He is the co-author of the book Delivered From Distraction. He also created The Hallowell Center for Cognitive and Emotional Health in Sudbury, MA. He is a Harvard alumnus and has been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 1983. He received his medical degree from Tulane University Med ...more
More about Edward M. Hallowell...

“Mastery means making progress at a task that matters to you and is challenging.” 1 likes
“Our marvelous electronic devices can seduce us into believing we are hard at work, but we are merely sending and receiving insignificant messages, while the real work goes undone, day after day, week after week, year after year. Real thinking and grappling hurt like hell. That’s why so many people avoid it like a root canal.” 1 likes