Start by marking “Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People” as Want to Read:
Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People

Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Your job as a manager is getting harder all the time. But your most critical responsibility--especially in today's world of intensifying competition--is how to help your people shine their brightest.
How do you inspire solid contributors to strive for more? What should you do if a star player falls off their game?
In Shine, bestselling author, psychiatrist, and ADD expert
Published January 1st 2011 by Harvard Business School Press

To ask other readers questions about Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shine

Schmacko
Dr. Edward M. Hallowell is an expert on ADHD, so it’s kind of funny that he’s written a business book on motivating your employees. (Are my employees hyperactive children? Some managers might say their employees act this way!) As a scientist with vast knowledge on the human brain and behavior, Hallowell can really strut his stuff. As a writer, he is pretty clear and concise. He quotes a lot of great sources, and some of his stories and examples are fascinating.

There are three reasons I am giving
Marcia
Jul 27, 2011 Marcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Debbie
While targeted to business, there is so much overlap with education.

There wasn't much new here. Hallowell's Cycle of Excellence: Select, Connect, Play, Grapple and Grow and Shine seem pretty familiar. The book did have some interesting passages: Having at least one "best friend" at work greatly improves job satisfaction and productivity. "Working harder" (what does that really mean? Working more) doesn't usually solve anything if you are struggling in your work--it probably just means you are i
Mikal
Quick read with easy to follow concepts as to what factors lead to success from teams and employees.

I suspect that much of this book is biased by a "golden rule" philosophy held by the author (as it's clear that more Machiavellian approaches than "Play" are in effect at many of our top performing organizations and teams.

So with that selection bias in mind.

The priniciples are sound and easy to understand. I may not refer back to the book often but the five principles beginning with selecting - g
Ariadna73
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
I found the most amazing quotes in this book. It is a great reference and a source of such good advice about how to help people increase their value and overcome their limitations in business and in personal life. But it is not the average manager-help book.

It really takes the time to explain the processes behind the most difficult problems that happen to workers and teams. I will definitely use it as one of my refer
Will Benham
Shine outlines all the little things you can't put your finger on that make great managers and workplaces so amazing. The recaps at the end of each chapter were super helpful in organizing my thoughts and notes too. With simple stories, case studies and insights, Shine shows how to get the best out of the people you work with, and build a case for a better workplace.

(Full disclosure: I listened to this as an audiobook, so I can't really speak to how easy to read it actually is)
Rick Jackson
I found this book to be okay in re-affirming some of the understanding I of Brain Science that I already knew, but it is rather remedial and obvious in many of its application. Like some stress is good too much stress bad. Or if you're at an impasse, stop and do something else and don't think about it. I didn't consider the book a waste of time because re-affirmation is not a bad thing, but there was little that the book taught me.
Elizabeth
What drew me to this book was the fact that the author is Ned Hallowell, who wrote 'Driven to Distraction', one of the best books I've read on ADHD. He is a credible psychiatrist so I was interested to see what else he had to say about motivation. This is an easy and enjoyable read if you don't stop to highlight every other paragraph (bad habit of mine).
Martin Hernandez
De lectura ágil, este libro contiene varios buenos consejos para mejorar el "management" del personal que tengas a cargo. Presenta una especie de "método" o algo así, para empoderar a los empleados, que me parece un poco difícil de implementar, pero dejando eso aparte, me quedo con los consejos, que son muy valiosos.
Christopher
Hallowell writes as straight as could be to illustrate The Cycle of Excellence, and because of his brevity there's an opportunity to learn on every page. Solid read for managers and leaders. Topics include management theory, human behavior and psychology, sprinkles of neuroscience and emotions.
Rosanna
This book was excellent. I enjoyed the advice it gave along with the explanations based on biology and psychology. The tone is nice and it is fun to read. It was nice to know that there is more than one way to go about a task.
Alicia
This was an excellent and highly readable management book. I'm not even sure why I picked it up, as I am not in management, but it was compelling and good and I just kept going back to it. Highly recommend!
Archana
For those who like to know the science behind motivation, It is really nice pick...
I loved this book for the fact it has really practical guidelines that can be adapted easily.
Carolyn
A refreshing approach to the challenge of creating an environment where people want to come to work. This should be common sense, but is highly uncommon.
Suresh
This was a ver fast read and enjoyable. I reaaly liked the shoe shine story. I have started to use some of the techniques at work.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on performance management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Kim
Read for a management class, but frankly it didn't impress me.
Kimberly Wilson
He references many of my favorite books. Great, quick read!
Cara
Sep 01, 2012 Cara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for a Library Management class...
BLACK CAT
Overall good advise but not too entertaining.
Drdeb Lonzer
Maybe not bedtime reading but fun and useful
Courtney
Great guide to supervising and managing people.
Lindsay Hickman
Lindsay Hickman marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Sarena
Sarena added it
Jun 05, 2015
Nataliia
Nataliia marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
Driven to Distraction at Work: How to Focus and Be More Productive You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

“Our marvelous electronic devices can seduce us into believing we are hard at work, but we are merely sending and receiving insignificant messages, while the real work goes undone, day after day, week after week, year after year. Real thinking and grappling hurt like hell. That’s why so many people avoid it like a root canal.” 0 likes