Start by marking “Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13)” as Want to Read:
Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13)

Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan #13)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  17,663 Ratings  ·  1,175 Reviews
Dr Temperance Brennan spends her life working amongst the decomposed and the skeletal. So the newly-dead body she is called to examine holds little to surprise her. Until she discovers it is the body of an ex-soldier apparently killed in Vietnam in 1968. So who is buried in his grave?

The case takes Tempe to the heart of the American military, where she must examine the rem
Published July 7th 2011 by Arrow (first published August 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spider Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider Bones

Bree T
Oct 10, 2010 Bree T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, mystery, series
I quite like the Temperance Brennan novels. I've read all of them and so far there's only been 1 that I really didn't enjoy at all, which I think is a pretty good strike rate when there's been 12 of them. Well unfortunately, my toll now stands at 2/13. I didn't get into this book either.

Like Brennan, Reichs herself is a forensic anthropologist and she always claims that she never writes a novel and puts Temperance in a medical situation that she herself hasn't been in personally. She's obviously
Megan Baxter
This is the first Kathy Reichs I've read, and, well, I didn't hate it. (Unlike the Patricia Cornwell I read last year.) But neither am I really grabbed by it. Will I read more? Only time will tell, and whether or not one of my lists coughs up one for me to read. I certainly won't avoid it, but I know there's at least one mystery writer writing forensic anthropology mysteries that my mother likes more. Maybe I'll search him out.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes i
Richard
Oct 28, 2010 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kathy-reichs
I've been a longtime fan of this series (and the show) but I must admit, this newest effort was such a wank job. Uninteresting story with a resolution that was so confusing, I didn't understand what was going on even as it was explained to me.

Reichs strains mightily to get Tempe out of the office and into the line of fire and shoehorns into the narrative 2-3 action scenes that feel forced and are unbelievable. The end, when both Tempe and Ryan's daughters are put in danger, is a series' lowpoint
Lyn Battersby
Being a huge fan of the TV series, I really really really want to love the books.

I don't.

I try and I try and I try, but at some point I have to shake my head and move on to something else.

I'm a student at uni and like to read crime novels for light relief between study, assignments and exams. I want something that pushes me to think, but that entertains me at the same time. Somewhere along the line, Reichs fails to achieve this.

I've tried to work out what I don't like and I think it comes down
May 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Why read: Love the series

What impressed me: I loved Tempe in Hawaii. I loved her vacationing with her daughter and I loved seeing her work in a new place with a different group of people. I absolutely loved Tempe and Ryan spending time together, with their respective kids, and not having everything be sort of overwhelmed by work as it usually is. The mystery was completely unforeseeable. I thought I had it figured out a couple of times, but was always proven wrong.

What disappointed me: I'm sort
Kendra
Aug 20, 2011 Kendra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Queen of Unbelievable Coincidences strikes again. Seriously, why has no one with any influence over Kathy Reichs ever sat her down and explained that she can't keep forcing connections between cases that have no business being related? It takes away from an otherwise great series.

In this one, Tempe starts out with a body in Canada, but heads back to the States (NC, of course) when the body is identified as a man who reportedly died during the Vietnam war. Then it's off to Hawaii for some Lin
Mateja
Feb 10, 2017 Mateja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
*4.5*
Nada Sobhi
Spider Bones is my first read for Kathy Reichs, the author behind the books that created the police/mystery TV series, Bones.

I must say that the series were a lot more exciting than the book. While, I've seen others comment that Spider Bones is not Reich's best. I felt overall disappointed.

The beginning put me off as I felt that Brennan – or the author or both, I couldn't tell - appeared to be showing off with her French. The novel begins in Quebec, where French is commonly used. But as a reader
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
To keep this short -

Tempe is back for her thirteenth book and I haven't been so intrigued about the victims for a very long time. It's a good thing to because this book is not full of Tempe's indecision about Ryan "leaving her" (although in my opinion, he gave her a chance to fight in the book before they break it off it is about the victims and their weaknesses that led to a chain reaction 40 years after Vietnam.

Soldiers dead in Vietnam, a body found in Canada and a drug ring in Hawaii all come
noelle
Jan 26, 2012 noelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own, ebooks
Sharon
Sep 07, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Kathy Reichs' books, of which Spider Bones is the most recent. In this outing, protagonist Temperance Brennan is asked to bring her forensic anthropology skills to bear when three different sets of remains are identified as belonging to the same man.

Clearly, this is impossible.

Brennan is whisked off to the military's Joint Prisoners of War/Missing in Action Command (JPAC), because the man in question, John Lowery, is cited as having died during the Vietnam war.

Along the way, Bre
Andrew
Sep 11, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Ok I will admit its been some time since I have read a Kathy Reichs book and I had forgotten how twisted and interwound the plot can be - maybe a few years away from her work allowed me to forget this and enjoy the story style all over again - No it is not Bone its something wholly different and to me far more enjoyable for it. I wont comment on the book - if you want to know about it read the blurb as any more and I will give the plot away and that is for people far more eloquent and creative t ...more
Liz // nvl.tea
I have to admit, I've never read a Kathy Reichs book before this one. I'm a devout fan of the TV show "Bones", but once I learned there weren't too many similarities between the two, I just kinda forgot about them. Oh, I was so wrong! I absolutely devoured this in under 24 hours. The case was totally intriguing, and it was such an easy read. I really didn't fee lost at any moment, regardless of what I've missed in previous books. I think I may have to start making her a regular author of mine. F ...more
Holly McIntyre
Aug 29, 2010 Holly McIntyre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me of the old carny game of putting a pea under a cup and then moving the cups around while maintaining a distracting chatter. I spotted the "pea" early in the book and spent much of the rest of it wondering why the characters hadn't noticed it, too. Still, it's a good, exciting mystery well-worth a weekend read.
Barbara ★
Another fine entry in the Temperance Brennan series. And yay Andrew Ryan is back! I just love him as he cracks me up with his dry one-liners which so lighten the heavy mood. This time they are in Hawaii working on identifying POW/MIAs from Vietnam. I really like how this series blends reality with fiction giving just enough information to make things believable while staying in the story.
Mizuki
DNF at page 40. I didn't read long enough to decide whether this book is good or bad, but I'm bored and I'm not willing to continue.
Bree T
Oct 15, 2010 Bree T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, mystery, series
I quite like the Temperance Brennan novels. I’ve read all of them and so far there had been only 1 that I really didn’t enjoy at all, which I think is a pretty good strike rate when there’s 12 novels to the series. Well unfortunately, my toll now stands at 2/13. I didn’t get into this book either.

Like Brennan, Reichs herself is a forensic anthropologist and she always claims that she never writes a novel and puts Temperance in a medical situation that she herself hasn’t been in personally. She’s
Nita
Kathy Reichs is one of my favorite authors. However, this book just did not measure up. There was little suspense until the last 15% of the book, and I found the overuse of military abbreviations (without enough explanation) quite tedious. Added to that were many 4+-syllable Hawaiian names. The combination made reading this book a chore rather than the adventure I've come to expect from Reichs.
Ladyhawk
While I was not initially completely enthralled with the topic, the story eventually gained momentum. I did enjoy the historical, medical and anthropological lessons in this one.
The Ryan relationship, yea or nay, is ridiculously frustrating.
But I love the series and remain a loyal fan! 3.5 Stars for this one.
Inga
Feb 02, 2013 Inga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Spider Bones ist der 13. Roman von Kathy Reichs mit Temperance Brennan und Andrew Ryan. Obwohl ich auch die Fernsehserie Bones sehr mag, sind mir die Originalcharaktere der Bücher doch deutlich lieber.
Der Plot von Spider Bones: Aus einem See in Quebec wird ein Toter gefischt, der sich offensichtlich beim Ausleben autoerotischer Praktiken selbst getötet hat. Über die Fingerabdrücke ergibt sich schnell eine Identizierung, der Tote ist John Lowery, auch Spider genannt (siehe Titel). Problem: John L
Freyja Vanadis
Mar 17, 2011 Freyja Vanadis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. There were a few things annoyed me, a few things that completely confused me, and a few things that downright disgusted me.
Confused: I couldn't keep track of who was alive, who was dead and who was buried where. Also, she lost me with the whole twin/chimera thing. Her explanation was so convoluted, I quit trying to read it because it was so "out there".
Annoyed: the way Tempe secretly invited Ryan and his hateful drug-addict daughter Lily to come stay with her and
Shy
Oct 11, 2011 Shy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
1) Why must the publisher change the title in other countries? Can't they just give readers a bit more credit for not being dumb?

2) Well, it's another entertaining novel, good for a relaxing read. The moral of the story is as ever: if you're invited to accompany Dr. Brennan while she travels somewhere as part of an investigation, DON'T. You will be put in danger, kidnapped, shot at, threatened with violence, etc. I'm amazed she hasn't run out of variants yet. The plot itself is nicely varied fro
Anne Wright
Sep 21, 2014 Anne Wright rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Crime, mystery Kathy Reichs readers
Spider Bones By Kathy Reichs

An author that does not disappoint. A melding of fact and fiction - Kathy Reichs uses her own experience with the USA's JPAC. An agency that go out and look for missing USA military from wars as far back as WW11.

A body is found in Canada in very strange circumstance's and when the DNA is taken it comes back as a shock for a father who was under the impression his son was buried in the USA. On digging up the body buried in the USA it turns out that this is a completely
Angela Risner
Jun 04, 2012 Angela Risner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Kathy Reichs since before she was known to most people as the creative force behind the TV series, Bones. Way before, in fact.

I actually don't watch the show, because I experienced the books first and my idea of Temperance Brennan does not match what they have on the show. Yes, I know that they are using a "younger" version of Tempe on the show, but it's just not what I am looking for when I already know the character one way.

I always look forward to new offerings from Reich
Laurie
Feb 24, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed past Reichs books for their setting in Canada and North Carolina which is exotic to someone living in Hawaii. Since this one is partially set in Hawaii, it loses its thrill. Except for the military forensic lab, the picture of Hawaii is fairly superficial, with Temperence giving tourist guide-style lectures about Hawaiian history. The take away for me was a new fact about dna. I like the authenticity of the forensic procedures, though I do skip over some of the lectures. Perhaps R ...more
Neil Mudde
I normally like Kathy Reich's book, this one is a bit too self indulgent, she lives a good life being a coroner/medical examiner, or whatever her title is, the traveling between PQ and North Carolina, are a bit hard to believe," Until they are Home" is admirable, however it does not take away from the fact that many of these young men were brainwashed by their Loyalty to America to wage war with people who did not want Americans on their land, the story continues today, her daughter Katy appears ...more
Thebookmistress
Nov 20, 2010 Thebookmistress rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tpl
What I like about the series is the Montreal setting, where applicable, and the police procedural/forensic stuff. What I thoroughly disliked, enough to stop reading the series, was the way Temperance was always the center of any mystery, going alone into every lair of evildoers, being the motivation behind every nutcase's decision to start killing people...

I am glad I picked up this one. The Hawaii setting was interesting. There was still a lot of her personal life, but, for once, there was some
Carol
Aug 20, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
January 12, 2017 - Embarassing - I've now read this book 3 times. But I like it more every time. Recommend.

Sept 14, 2013 - This is my second read of this book, and boy, did I like it more the second time than the first time. Forgot I had already read it, but glad I did.

The real meat of the book is the identification of dead soldiers, the victims of war. Temperance is assigned to the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii, and with this we learn that 1,800 Americans were unaccounted for in
Mel
Jan 13, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reaad the vast majority of this book in one sitting today. I love Kathy Reichs' way of writing. She makes us belive that Tempe is just another person, someone we can relate to. Too often writers turn their main characters into "super heros"

Tempe in the books is a person with worries and feelings of inadequacies in some areas of her life, but with a good working knowledge and histlry of experience in her field of endeavour. Reichs' makes us feel that we could all be the Tempe of our chosen field
Daniela
Feb 24, 2011 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few of Kathy Reichs books between this one and her first novels gave the impression as if they were hastily put together. She more than redeemed herself though with Cross Bones and this book, Spider Bones, definitely delivers as well.
It's about a mix up of bodies and identities. To describe more would already be a spoiler as the action is packed so condensed that you cannot write about it without giving something away. The story grabs you from the first page and moves fastwith lots of twists a
The Women's Myste...: Spider Bones #13 3 20 Jan 23, 2014 08:25PM
  • The Bone Yard (Body Farm, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)
  • Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • Port Mortuary (Kay Scarpetta, #18)
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more
More about Kathy Reichs...

Temperance Brennan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
  • Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)

“we both know phone inquiries aren’t handled that fast. It’s been only twenty-four hours since Plato Lowery was informed of the situation. He” 0 likes
“then flats of marigolds and petunias. Made of sterner stuff, I figured, their sort might survive my regime of horticultural neglect.” 0 likes