Start by marking “There's Lead in Your Lipstick: Toxins in Our Everyday Body Care and How to Avoid Them” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  28 reviews
By the time she heads out the front door, the modern woman has spritzed, sudsed, and slathered herself in more than 127 different chemicals, many of them more toxic than beautifying. So how can you look and feel great while safeguarding your health? Get smart and go green from head to toe with the help of eco-expert Gillian Deacon. In The Green Body Guide, you'll learn how ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Penguin Canada (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about There's Lead in Your Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's Lead in Your Lipstick

Rachel
The book opens with Gillian Deacon's personal story for why she decided to write this book - when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Even though she believed that she had been living a healthy and sustainable lifestyle for years, she realized that one can never be too cautious. Deacon employs a few new vocabulary terms that help to introduce the reader to what Deacon hopes to accomplish with this book - by teaching the readers to be cautious about what to use in, on, and around their bodies. ...more
Luanne Ollivier
I've tried in the last few years to clean up the way I eat - less processed and more whole foods. It's absolutely helped with some of my health concerns. But I picked up a copy of There's Lead in Your Lipstick by Gillian Deacon and realized I really hadn't given much thought to all the personal care products I use.

Gill Deacon was reading Stacy Malkan's 'Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of Beauty' while waiting to have an ultrasound to help diagnose her possible breast cancer. It is in Chapt
Brittany
Feb 22, 2013 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every woman (and man, really) out there.
How I Came To Read This Book: I really have no concept of where I first heard of this book...I want to say a magazine twigged me onto it. I ended up getting it from the library, although I have plans to purchase a copy of my own.

The Plot: Gillian Deacon breaks down some pretty terrifying myths, namely, that someone is actually regulating what goes into the beauty products we slather onto our hair, skin, and face. The reality is, many of the products we use on a daily basis are extremely toxic to
Jennifer Rayment
The Not so Good Stuff

* A little repetitive
* Personally would have organized the Where Can I Find Stuff once at the end of the book instead of at the end of each chapter
* No mention of Lush, which concerns me, I love their stuff and always thought it was free of chemicals and toxins - now must research them -- I will be totally pissed if they are being less than honest

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"We may be complex enough to know that true beauty comes from within ... but we'd like to look the par
Joanne
This is more of a resource guide than a research-based book and not a lot of new information if you're already a convert to this type of thinking. However, the lists of suppliers and websites listed are helpful for identifying products that can be hard to find elsewhere. Certainly this would be helpful for someone that has never considered questioning all the chemicals in day-to-day products. An extremely quick and easy read.
Alex Faucher
The good: I think people in general need to be more critical about what they put on and in their bodies, so I like books like this that at least make you consider those things. The recipes in the book are excellent-- very accessible and affordable. Also, there are references in the back of the book and some aspects of the book seem to be well researched.

The bad: I found what I did read to be very repetitive. In every chapter I had to read the same warnings about fragrance, phthalates, parabens,
A great resource for those who are looking to clean up their beauty/bodycare regimes. Deacon's style is perfect for this topic: the writing is conversational, never preachy; the content never watered-down (see:No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics - I recall an instance in this book where the authors joke about not knowing what purpose sea buckthorn serves in a product, but that they trust "Dr. H[aushka]" regardless. Fine as ...more
Anna
This book, along with "Slow Death By Rubber Duck", really has changed my outlook on every day toxins and the chemical body burden we all share. I highly recommend reading both books.

When I looked at the labels of all my personal care products, including the ones that stated they were 'natural' and 'hypoallergenic', I was disgusted by what I found. A few months ago I had already switched from conventional commercial household cleaners to basically vinegar, baking soda and lemons, and now plan on
Heatherdoig
I did like this book. Many of the chemicals Ms. Deacon listed are irritants and linked to cancer, as she says. Her sources are all cited; all of the citations are not within text or footnotes, though, and are in the pack of the book. Ms. Deacon also repeats herself often, as the book is meant to be read more as a reference guide than all at once like a novel.
Denele
A very informative book on the excessive amount of harmful chemicals and carcinogens that can be found in personal care products. This book has helped me understand exactly what those long, unpronouncable words mean that are listed as ingredients on the personal care products I (used to) use. There is a list of the top twenty ingedients to avoid which is great for reference when you're out shopping. Each chapter is well organized, and the format of the book allows you to read in whatever order p ...more
Camille
Amazing and very interesting book that open our eyes on the cosmetic industry who, once again only think about money. I loved this book and it help me to incorporate natural products around me, thanks to the DIY and the links of natural products to buy in the book.
Alison
If you want to know why, over the past several years, I've replaced close to 90% of my family's personal care items with natural products, read this book. It's very similar to "No More Dirty Looks," which I also really liked, but this book is written by a Canadian author and features many Canadian brands or, at the very least, brands that are available here. (NMDL is written with only an American audience in mind, so most of the products recommended by them are not available in Canada. Irked me. ...more
Belinda
At times the author sounds like a Debbie Downer type, but that's probably difficult to avoid considering the topic of the book. The sections titled "THE SCARE" was probably a bit too much! It was an informative read and I will certainly take a double look at cosmetic ingredients from now on, but in reality I am sure some will find it hard to give up their MAC lipsticks for some obscure organic brand that costs twice as much. The homemade beauty recipes are quite good and I hope to give those a t ...more
Janet Barclay
I didn't actually read it from cover to cover. I realized I wouldn't be able to retain the information I needed to make smart choices, and since it was a library book which had to be returned, I made note of the recommended products and toxins to avoid. It is jam packed with valuable information and I may try to read it again in the future.
Lorna
You have to read this book. Wow. The amount of toxic ingredients that are allowed in body care products is shocking. What an eye opener. This book has made me much more vigilant about what we're putting in and on our bodies. Gillian Deacon clearly lists products to avoid and why, and recommends more natural products to be used in their place.
Terra
This provocative book by Canadian Gillian Deacon has opened by eyes to all the harmful poisons we put on or bodies. I eat well, but I put some pretty horrible things without knowing the harm I could be doing. I have bought new shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste.

I love all the recipies to make your own products.
Judy
I'm about half-way through and I'm thinking this is a must-read! What I love about this book is that it gives you the opportunity to make informed decisions about the personal care products you buy without pressuring you. It gives you the information and you can decide for yourself what you want to do, if anything.
Michele
Really insightful read. A little overwhelming with facts (and making me a bit paranoid about all the products we use every day) but a very interesting read nonetheless. Take from it what you will but the fact is, many products we use really do have these toxins in the ingredients.
Lindsay Joy
SCARIEST BOOK EVER. I just threw out half the stuff in my bathroom. I have a feeling some of the stuff in here is exaggerated a bit. I am all for lessening the chemicals in my life, but this is getting ridiculous.
Hannah
Completely eye-opening and enlightening! I had no idea the amount of toxins and carcinogens in our everyday body care. It's appalling. My current beauty products are going in the trash.
Grazyna Krupa
Smart, spirited, very useful and not a bit preachy. One of the better books about implementing green practices into your life. Gill writes with wit and panache, the advice is perennial.
Jennie
Great information. Overwhelming because I don't really want to think about all of the things that cause cancer. But I want to know more so that I can do better.
Meganathan
Great info and recommendations about what are safe, natural products to use that won't harm you! She even gives recipes for how to make your own beauty products.
Cheryl
good reference for finding alternatives to the toxic chemicals in the drugstore.
Cass
loved it! great product reviews and well laid out information. excellent reference.
Janet
amazing....actually bought the book after borrowing it from the library!
Ecoyogini
My favourite Eco Resource is years!
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Breon Randon
Breon Randon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ecoholic Home: The Greenest, Cleanest and Most Energy-Efficient Information Under One (Canadian) Roof
  • And Also Sharks
  • Sea Sick
  • The Urban Cycling Survival Guide: Need-to-Know Skills and Strategies for Biking in the City
  • Common Ground
  • Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
  • First Spring Grass Fire
  • Rick Mercer Report: The Book
  • Between Gods: A Memoir
  • Wisdom of the Elders: Sacred Native Stories of Nature
  • Gender Failure
  • Business as Unusual
  • Apps for Librarians: Using the Best Mobile Technology to Educate, Create, and Engage
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
  • Stubborn Season  Tpb
  • Seen Reading
  • Republic Of Dirt
  • Under The Visible Life
1421938
Gillian Deacon is the author of Naked Imperfection, a memoir about the modern woman's struggles with perfectionism and the illusion of control, as considered in light of a young healthy woman's diagnosis with breast cancer.
Gill's last book, There's Lead in Your Lipstick, was a national bestseller as soon as it was released in January 2011. It was ranked #1 on the Independent Booksellers sales lis
More about Gillian Deacon...
Naked Imperfection: A Memoir Green for Life: 200 Simple Eco-ideas For Every Day Green For Life: 200 Simple Eco-ideas For Every Day