Primeval: An Event Group Thriller

Primeval: An Event Group Thriller (Event Group Adventure #5)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Twenty thousand years ago, when early man made his way to North America, a tribe of prehistoric predators made the great trek as well. But these giant, deadly beasts seemingly became extinct…and humans lived to become the most violent creatures on Earth. Man’s brutal nature reached a boiling-point with the execution of Russia’s last czar and his entire family. But some bel...more
Published June 28th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2010)

Mark
We begin in the wilds north of Seattle, only it's twenty thousand thousand years ago and there's an ice age. Early man is hunting mammoth and running from saber tooth tigers. Luckily, in the moment when your grandpappy was about to become cat food, some giant brave handsome hairy pithecus shows up and wrassles kitty with his while OUR forebears haul tail into the woods. It's a little hard to see why, but boom, an ageless inter-species friendship is formed.

Slam forward to today and the Russians...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Primeval by David L. Golemon is the fifth book in his Event Group Series. There is a lot of back story to set up for this one. It begins in 20,000 BCE with people and creatures crossing the Bering Strait land bridge. Then jumps to Russia in 1918 where Tsar Nicholas has a plan in place to save some of his children, Anastasia and Alexei. Then the action is back east of Glacier Bay, Alaska. Next it's 1962 and Operation Solar Flare has begun. Finally, before the present day, it's 1968 and the novel...more
Diane
While the story was quite interesting, I was very much put off by the many misspelled words, sloppy punctuation, and grammatical errors throughout the book. This publisher is in dire need of a good proofreader.
Gevera Bert
This book was kind of slow and hard to get into, even though it was about Bigfoot and the children of the murdered Tzar. Also lots of typos, missing punctuation and sloppy editing.
Debbie
I don't usually review books I haven't finished, but I can't read any more! The writing is sloppy and riddled with grammatical errors. I have to give the author a thumbs up for getting this published.

Here are some clunkers from the book:

"Even with the massive four-decade search for the lost superweapon, Solar Flare, the cover-up of an event of that magnitude would be kept secret-until fifty years later."

"As much as they questioned him on where he had been, the more Charlie clammed up."

"'Jack has...more
Jeannie Mancini
Pacific Northwest Legend Comes Alive

When Tsar Nicholas, son of Peter the Great, learns that he and his entire family are to be executed, he locates imposters for his two youngest children so that some of his bloodline will survive. Under cover of darkness in a covert operation in 1918, he devises a plan to have the children whisked away to the Canadian wilderness accompanied by one of his most trusted guards, with two wagons full of American Gold Eagles and his prized treasure, what is known as...more
Dee Haddrill
This time, the legend in question is Bigfoot, the children of Russian Tsar Nicholas, some jewels, and a missing nuke, but the main focus is on Jack's sister, Lynn, a CIA agent who is taken captive by some big time Russian mafia types. Jack and his team go to great lengths to rescue her.

Still completely loved this one, but I do have one complaint... too much time was spent on other people rather than on Jack, Sarah and the rest of the Event team. We've invested four books up to this point in thes...more
Leah

Twenty thousand years ago, when man crossed the land bridge to North America, creatures called They Who Follow made the great trek as well. But once in the new continent, the giant beasts disappeared, whether into hiding or extinction, no one knew.

Centuries later, a battered journal–the only evidence left from the night of the Romanovs’ execution–turns up in a rare bookstore. As the U.S. and Russians vie for the truth, and the lost Romanov treasure, they c
Victoria
Golemon’s Event Group series is one of the rare ones that improves with each successive novel. After enjoying Leviathan, I kept my eyes out for this one - the fifth in the series. Here Golemon offers a thrilling combination of Bigfoot and the real fate of Princess Anastasia. My personal favorite character - the so-called villain and Frenchman Henri Faubreaux features quite prominently here - adding to the overall excitement. Golemon’s characters as a whole reach a better dynamic here and their r...more
Randy Evans
Jack's little sister is kidnapped. Her finger is sent as proof of life. Jack is mad. Jack must chase bad guys while running from good guys. As he looks for his sister Jack and a few friends must follow the clues to the bad guys not knowing they have one in their group. Along the way they escape death more than once,find a treasure, find a lost nuke and have to deal with bigfoot. The fifth book in the series "The Event Group" is non-stop action, don't pass this series by.
Kimberly
I was a little skeptical at first about reading this book because I haven't read the other books in the series as of yet. However the author wrote it in such a way that the reader can jump into the series anywhere and not be completely lost. Yes there are a few missing holes where I would like to know more about this history of The Event Group but it's understandable that I have to read the other books in the series to do so.
Now I'm a girl who loves monsters. I love the lore behind Bigfoot and s...more
Ron
Now this is the type of adventure tale I enjoy reading. Golemon mixes ancient history and modern history, tosses in the right amount of skullduggery, a continuing cast of characters that he works on growing in each book, a returning "villain" and an "exotic" location with a mystery to be solved. Then he manages to pull off a fun reveal with last-minute heroism. A better, fun read that the previous two in the series.
Marlaine
I truly enjoy this author - I've read some of his books in the Event group series. As a reader I'm drawn to the characters and look forward to seeing how the story lines play out. As soon as I'm done with one in the series; I start the next one. I started in late August and have read Event, Legend, Ancients, Leviathan, Primeval and am half way through Legacy. The books start slow and deals with past events (hang in there), it then brings you to the present and deals with a top secret US governme...more
Karey
This was my first Golemon book. Upon finishing, I Kindle-purchased every single book he had written. It was THAT good!! If you want adventure, mystery, and a monster or two, this is your book. Couldn't put this down. He took the legend of a Bigfoot type creature and created a believable story--not usually well done with this subject matter. I love how he takes myth/legend and creates compelling stories around them. And he opens his books with this science-guy type storytelling where you feel lik...more
Lori Greco
I read this book because it was at the dollar store. Wow, I was surprised it was so good! The story moved quickly, kept me interested and I didn't want to put the book down. It was an interesting twist of history and legend. There are some pretty gross, violent sections though.
Kristin Lundgren
This was another great one in the Event Group series. Taking place in the wilds of British Columbia, he combines a "natural" myth from that area, along with historical questions from two different eras. No one could pull off a three pronged thriller like Goleman. Once again, his minor characters shine, with so much personality they burst from the page in living color. He is the best at that - giving even minor characters life, and making you want to get to know them. Spunky octogenarian Alice Wh...more
Michael
This effort is a great improvement over the last two installments, though the obsession with caves and water escapes continues. The Russian tie in was a little obvious but did fit well into the story. I admit I was really pleased with the handling of the Sasquatch element of the story, and would be happy to see them return in a future storyline. A few loose ends that had been dragging on for too long were resolved or developed so they can work better in future adventures. I was happy to see that...more
Nancy Magee
A lot of fantasizing and speculation on history of bigfoot and the Romanoffs of Russia, but a good read and fun.
Donna
I loved this book! What a dynamic combination of events. For all of us who would love to believe that bigfoot really does exist, and even for all of those who think it utter bunk, this book really delivered. David Golemon has combined Big Foot, the Romanov dynasty, Russian mobsters and of course our intrepid heroes and heroines! This is a suspenseful fast paced read, that will keep you on the edge of your seat guessing what will happen next. Both historically and scientifically possible this boo...more
Sandi
I keep reading these books because I like the subject matter (aliens, and mermaids, and spies, OH MY!) and even several of the characters (most likeable supervillain EVER!). They're generally entertaining and interesting.

Unfortunately, there were fewer pleasant surprises here than usual. With the exception of a very fun antique sea plane, the plot was pretty predictable and the "moles" might as well have been labeled as such, their identities were so obvious. :/
Robert Carlberg
Another great Event Group book. This time using the myth of Bigfoot with the tale of two children of the Romanov family escaping Russia and getting lost in the Canadian wilderness. The author also threw in a lost nuclear weapon that was suppose to be our first strike against Russia during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Yeah, definitely some far off fiction, but I think he does a good job of pulling together a pretty good story.
Jared Della Rocca
Another great novel by David Golemon using the Event Group. This one centers around the Twins of Peter the Great (a set of large diamonds) and Operation Solar Flare, a nuclear device to be used against the Soviet Union during the Cuban Missile Crisis. As usual, the action keeps a good pace and the purported history is always intriguing. David Golemon's novels will always be at the top of my reading list.
John
Very intense. Never a dull moment. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Werretired
Just can't put these down.
Stephen
Golemon did a great job with this one! He mixed Anastasia and Bigfoot in a manner that is actually semi-plausible! He also made avoided making glaring errors in military protocol and rankings. I know I've growled about his accuracy in reviews of his previous books in the series, but this one made up for it. It had a great story and is well written.
Alexander
Didn't enjoy this book very much. To start off, the prologue it self was in excess of 60 pages.. Which is longer than most chapters in a book. I found that there was were excessive amounts of spelling mistakes, poor grammar, and poor sentence structure as well. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book to any body looking for nice and/or enjoyable read.
Douglas
Wow, what another great story in the Event Group series. With each installment the author is creating cleaner and crisper stories. The series has a great cast of well developed characters. These books always a lot of fun and action. I enjoy the combination of spy thriller/techno-thriller, historical and supernatural
Wendy Williams
I'm a big fan of anthropology so it helped me with the Russian mob stuff. The Russian history part was awesome though. It was a very interesting book and I'm glad I read it. It did get a little bogged down at parts. But if you hang in through those the whole book is worth it. I truly enjoy Mr. Goleman's books.
Kendra
Another excellent read. The author does a well-rounded writing with serious, edge of your seat type stuff and enough humor interjected to really like the characters. The Romanov children weren't as involved as the book would have you believe, but I still liked how it was all portrayed. Love the Sasquatch storyline!
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Catalyst
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
David L. Golemon is the author of the Event Group Thrillers, including Event, Ancients, Leviathan and Primeval. Legend, the second book in the series, was nominated for a RITA award for paranormal fiction. Golemon learned an early love of reading from his father, who told him that the written word, unlike other forms, allows readers to use their own minds, the greatest special effects machines of...more
More about David Lynn Golemon...
Event (Event Group Adventure, #1) Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2) Leviathan (Event Group Adventure, #4) Ancients (Event Group Adventure, #3) Legacy (Event Group Adventure, #6)