Start by marking “It's the First Day of School...Forever!” as Want to Read:
It's the First Day of School...Forever!

It's the First Day of School...Forever!

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  91 reviews
On the first day of school, Artie falls out of his bed and hits his head. Hard. He tells his mom he’s dizzy and she says:
“You’re just worried about your first day in a new school.”

At breakfast, his little brother, Eddie, splashes syrup in his hair, and there’s no time to wash it. Artie has to go to school with syrup-hair. And then, on the way there, he gets splashed by a p
Published July 5th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about It's the First Day of School...Forever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's the First Day of School...Forever!

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
164th out of 169 books — 698 voters
The Silver Chair by C.S. LewisMatilda by Roald DahlJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWitch Week by Diana Wynne JonesWell-Schooled in Murder by Elizabeth  George
Be Glad You Don't Go to This School
14th out of 16 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Chelsea
Artie Howard is having some trouble on his first day of fifth grade. It starts with him falling out of bed and gets much worse after that. Everything he does at school seems to go terribly, horribly wrong. He makes enemies of the biggest and scariest boy in school, loses the class pet, and gets creepy warnings from the principal. And just when he thinks he may have made it through the worst day of his life, he starts it all over again!

Ahhh.... R.L. Stine. Does middle-grade horror get any better
Deborah
It is Artie's first day at a new middle school. He wakes up by falling out of bed, hitting his head, and the rest of the day follows suit - his younger brother gets syrup all over his hair, a big truck runs through a puddle spraying water all over Artie and he looks like he wet his pants. Then to make matters worse he ends up accidentally hurting the school's sports hero. He doesn't things could get any worse until he is transported back to bed and the morning starts all over and evolves into a ...more
Bravebuscus
Heavensent1
It's the First Day of School Forever! is a juvenile fiction book by R.L. Stine.

It's Artie Howard's first day of school, summer vacation is over and its time to hit the books, or the floor, as Artie does on his first morning, banging his head and seeing stars.

The day doesn't get any better, Artie's younger brother, Eddy has squirted syrup all over him and splashes muddy water all over Artie as they walk to school. Not only that, but Wowser, Artie's dog, has followed him to school and has jumped a
Kathy
Jan 11, 2012 Kathy added it
It’s the First Day of School Forever
By R.L. Stine
Report by Cierra Kitt

Artie hits his head on the floor when he falls out of the bed. It’s his first day of his new school. He goes to eat breakfast and his brother pulls a prank on him and spill syrup in his hair. After breakfast Artie and his brother go to school and on the way there more bad things happen. As they are walking to school Eddie walked in the street, so Artie had to pull him back but it was too late. A truck went into a puddle and
Megan
I can't say I was too impressed with this one. So many things go wrong for Artie that the story didn't feel believable at all, and the addition of horror elements didn't really fit into what I was expecting from the book. I thought it would be more of a Groundhog Day for kids...although I'm not quite sure why...the people on the cover with glowing eyes should have been a bit of a giveaway. The writing also felt fairly repetitive. I know that's kind of the point of the story, but even the wording ...more
Vlad
This was a big part of my childhood (3/4th grade), and I haven't read this in a while, but I feel that this is still a great book. This was a masterpiece, and I feel that everyone should read it at least once in their lifetime. It is intended for younger audiences, so there may be some corny parts. Other than that, it's a great book, and I'm glad to have read it.
Jose Reyes
I thought that this book was very well written. I was a little disappointed in the ending. It ended with a kid named Chris guiding the guy Artie. It turned out to be a video game. I gave this book a 4 star rating because the ending was very cheap. I would recommend it to people who like fantasy books and non-surprising endings. Also R.L. Stine did a very good job going along with the book but killed it with the ending.
Brian Barnett
Even with a dangerous premise, R. L. Stine pulls it off. In what could've been a boring, repetitive narrative; small, surprising variations will keep the readers on their toes. The dark story was sprinkled with enough chuckles to keep the mood light and in typical Stine tradition, the ending has a fun, humorous twist.
Margery Bayne
Mark Soone
Well, R.L. Stine has done it again! Another great read by the Middle School master!

As if life isn't bad enough having to begin life in a new school, Artie's adventure is a brilliant gem of comedic and horrific results. Everything that could possiby go wrong, does.....many that I could never even dream up. After a horrible morning getting ready for school, Artie blunders through the day angering, the coolest kid in school, the principal, students and the entire footbal team (whom the principal en
Michael
Yikes! Creepy! It sounds like a normal day as a new student in a new town. But something's not right, the day repeats forever but he ends up going through a terrible day. I think this book is the sort of book that should be warned. Do not red this at night, personal experience.
William
I thought this book was awseome it reminded me of a movie about this guy who his life repeated a part of it over and over again.
Monique Mabin
This was a good read. It makes you think, just what if something like this would ever happen to me.
Ashley
I thought I had this book figured out midway through. For some reason I got it in my head that the principal wanted Artie to play football and that's why he had the team chase him. Way off.
Then I thought in the last couple chapters that the book was just falling apart. I mean, it was just getting more and more random. Things weren't getting worse but just odd.
I felt bad for Artie, but I wondered how could all this happen to one guy in one day. Like how bad can his luck be?
Then the end happened
Shata T.
it was very funny and i reccomend it for anyone who likes to laugh.
Breonna W
this book was totally awsome and i think you should read it
Mr. Giorno
Great Read Aloud
Suraj
The book sucks !!!
Josiah
Though not a part of any Goosebumps series, It's the First Day of School...Forever! is virtually no different from a Goosebumps book. The length is similar, the humor and writing style are identical, the plot contains the same brand of fake-outs in the early chapters and Twilight Zone twists near the end... It's all quite familiar to fans of R.L. Stine's most enduring series, and is exactly what I was hoping to find when I picked up this book. In his debut novel with Feiwel and Friends publishi ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

R.L. Stine’s newest book is reminiscent of the movie "Groundhog Day" but with a twist. As his morning alarm sounds and his mother nags him to get dressed, Artie realizes with dread that today is his first day at a new school.

Events at the breakfast table provide plenty of clues that Artie’s day is off to a bad start. His little brother spills his juice, making it necessary for Artie to change his shirt, but before he has time to mak
Todd Russell
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you. Will try and review with no spoilers.

Artie is having a bad first day of school in a Groundhog's day type story. The audience is young adults and some of what Artie goes through is humorous. The writing is clear and Stine knows how to talk to kids without talking down to them. He doesn't hit a YA horror stride until late (perhaps too late) in the book and even then then it's downplayed.

There is a promising love interest but I was disappointed w
Landon
Jun 27, 2011 Landon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th or 6th Graders
Shelves: first-reads
Another Goodreads Giveaway book!

I was scanning through the giveaways when I stumbled across this one, and I couldn't really believe it. The first thing that popped into my head was, "R.L. Stine is still writing books?" I am one who grew up with the Goosebumps series, and even watched a few of the t.v. shows. I loved these books as a kid, and I think kids will enjoy this book as well. (Interestingly enough, I hate horror movies)

The book does a good job pin pointing some of the fears every kid fac
Charlyn  Trussell
(Review of advance reader's edition.) This is the R. L. Stine version of the movie Groundhog Day with two plot changes: each time the day is repeated it gets worse and there is a twist at the end. On the first day he is to attend a new school, Artie falls out of bed and hits his head, gets his hair full of maple syrup, and is splashed with water by a truck as he walks his little brother to his school. And that's only what happens before he gets to school--there the situation becomes much worse w ...more
Cristian
Have you ever thought that school is to long? Well unlike you Artie Howard has a problem he keeps reliving his first day at school, but as hard as he tries his day isn't exactly perfect wether he's dealing with his principal or handling his family. This book is filled with a lot of twist that will make you thing and the ending might just blow your mind.
Lugosifan
Classic R.L Stine!!! In almost every one of his books, there's a twist ending that possibly NO ONE could have guessed before finishing one of his books! I thought that this was going to be an utter disaster, completely unfinished. I was like, " Oh!! I just want this to end!!" But, that goes to show you NEVER turn your back on one of your fav authors! ;)
Richard Denney

Entertaining, Funny, and creepy!

R.L. Stine is an awesome writer
and anything he writes turns to gold. Seriously.
This was fun to read since all I've ever read of
his work are the GOOSEBUMPS books and a few FEAR STREET novels.
I loved it and it was great reading something fun and creepy.
I usually read heavy books with a serious tone and its always
good to change it up and read something fun and light.

This book centers around an eleven year old boy named Artie
who keeps repeating the first day of sch
Ruth
Totally not what I expected. Feeling felt...frustration, irritation, anger, confusion, but the end which totally caught me off guard made everything ok. Some may say it's a little scary since there are zombies in it. Not a book I'd read again but I'd want you to read it to tell me what you thought. Easy read.
AuroraBlaze
This book wasn't bad. It has a better explanation than many of the other repeated-day books out there, but it was still a bit cliché. This was a library book, and I don't think it's worth it to buy this book. I found the story started getting a bit too weird near the end, which meant I was distracted from the story line trying to figure it out, and I couldn't enjoy it as much. But my younger brother loved it. So I guess it depends what kind of books you like to read.
Alex
This was a fun story with a classic R.L. Stine twist ending. I've been enjoying reading all of these newer books, even though I'm clearly not the target audience for them anymore.
  • Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)
  • Bandit (The Puppy Place, #24)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • Mr. Macky Is Wacky! (My Weird School, #15)
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Homesick
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • Attack of the Vampire Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #5)
  • Body of Water
  • Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
  • The Boy at the End of the World
  • Diary of a Parent Trainer
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Selling Hope
  • Manhunt
  • Precious Bones
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)