Start by marking “UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record” as Want to Read:
UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record

UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  809 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
An Air Force major is ordered to approach a UFO in his Phantom jet over Tehran, and his missile control becomes disabled. In Belgium, an Air Force colonel investigates a series of sightings of unidentified triangular objects. Here at home, a retired chief of the Federal Aviation Administration's Accidents and Investigations Division witnesses an encounter between an aircra ...more
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2010)

Natalie
Aug 24, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved it!

Fascinating and very well written. The author is able to suck you right in her book, weather you are pro or contra theses "stories". She does never try to convince you of any thing, just lists the facts, that she obviously took some time and effort to gather together, with unemotional and sober judgement.

An insightful conglomerate of information, from various sources, that Believers as well as Skeptics will find entertaining and revealing. Great, great read!

What conclusions your draw
Michael Hughes
Oct 04, 2010 Michael Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive work on a much maligned and ridiculed subject. Closes the case—whatever UFOs are, there's no denying they are real. The pilots, generals, and military officials provide firsthand, unimpeachable evidence that no debunker can refute. An instant classic.
Eric
Oct 25, 2010 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book that was maybe a little too long for the subject. The book surveys many of the most interesting UFO incidents seen by government officials like pilots and police. The accounts were interesting and generally believable. The book did spend an inordinate amount of time asking why the U.S. doesn't take UFOs more seriously. The last 2 chapters should have been 2 pages.
David Goodberg
Apr 17, 2011 David Goodberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. While I love science fiction and astrobiology, I am always hesitant on anything related to the validity of UFOs because they are mostly silly, unprofessional and written by die-hard believers who don't discredit anything. This is a must read for anyone interested in the subject for all the right reasons.

This is more than a book about eye witnesses: its a collection of government reports and a detailed analysis of numerous high-ranking officials who have everything to lo
Jon
Feb 19, 2011 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UFOs are the strangest topic. Completely dismissed by the media, a subject that was believe it or not taken quite seriously up to about 1970 has been almost completely discredited among the intellectual classes in the U.S. Wild conspiracy theories and bizarre tales of "alien abduction" have served to create an ever-expanding mythology that has relegated the entire phenomenon to tabloid status.

Yet for people like me who have followed the literature and tried to separate the slim stalks of wheat
Jack Pramitte
Jul 09, 2016 Jack Pramitte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ufo
Avec ce livre, Leslie Kean s'adresse avant tout aux septiques et personnes mal informées pour les sensibiliser à la réalité d'un phénomène qu'ils refusent, considèrent comme ridicule, mais dont ils ne savent surtout rien.

Dans cet objectif, elle se limite à des cas très documentés impliquant des militaires (souvent de haut rang), des pilotes confirmés (qui ne prennent pas des vessies pour des lanternes), des politiques; et souvent confirmés par des preuves physiques, pas seulement des photos, mai
Mizuki
I like this book, I appreciate how the author had gathered so much information, interviewed so many people, looked into the UFO policies of different countries and their histories to get his point across. It's a grand work, but as a non-fictional book, I found the text a bit too dry and it is not very interesting nor exciting. However, I still get what the author is trying to say:

(1) UFOs have always been out there, flying across the glob.

(2) So far, most of the UFOs seem to be peaceful and mean
Feb 24, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The most factual book available on UFOs. The author is an investigative reporter who takes a very scientific-method driven look at the data. Every incident mentioned is cited with the report number, and can be fact checked. All of the sightings reported here are by authoritative sources (military or airline pilots with good reputations and years of service and experience in their field).

Kean is careful to emphasize a separateness between being able to prove that there are solid unidentified obje
Don
Feb 11, 2012 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems that many of the readers of this book gave it lower reviews since the testimonies provided by the author were only from pilots, military and political agencies. Understandably, the author, Leslie Kean, is a reporter trying to find some form of legitimacy to the UFO phenomena.

Frankly, I found this book to be one of the best UFO books written in the last 10 years (2010). Many of the key reports from very famous cases are known by those familiar with UFO literature - such as the Peruvian figh
Ian
Jan 08, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are thousands and thousands of UFO books out there. They range from such folderol as 'A Dweller on Two Planets', 'Secret Nazi UFO Bases Revealed', or the timeless classic 'GREETINGS EARTHLINGS My name is Appleton and I come from the Planet Reginta' to serious studies of the phenomenon (or phenomena) written by credentialed military officers, main stream scientists, professional historians and investigative journalists.

Ms. Kean's book needs to be added to that latter list, and in my view it
Phillip
Feb 12, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly compelling book. Leslie Kean is an investigative journalist. When the French made all of their government UFO information available to the public a 90 page report was written by their top Air Force officers stating that UFOs are real, they are something that needs to be dealt with, and made proposals as to what our world population needs to do in the future. A colleague sent her a copy of the report.

It took years for Kean to do her research and to learn to be the writer about suc
Erik Graff
Apr 25, 2015 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UFO fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: sciences
Although companion to the late Bud Hopkins, noted for his research on the abduction phenomenon, Leslie Kean confines her first book on UFOs to only the most substantiated cases involving multiple witnesses and, in most cases, physical traces. There are no close encounters of the third or fourth kind here. What are presented, however, provide a compelling case for the reality of what herein are termed "unknown aerial phenomena".

On this basis, Kean, and an array of notables, including military off
Gene
Apr 14, 2013 Gene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While much of this covers the same topics: strange reports, known incidents, and historical facts like Project Grudge and
Project Blue Book it also contains very specific thoughts about alternate possibilities such as whether our Government can explain UFOs, or are as much baffled by them as the average citizen. It makes clear the fact that a certain part of the Government (which even Senator Goldwater and others cannot breach) controls the information on UFOs. Very good read!! One extremely int
Glen
Jan 11, 2013 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate book for people to read if they are skeptics about the possibility/probability/reality of the UFO phenomena. Author Leslie Kean actually has, to escape the cultural baggage of that term, has coined a new, more accurate one; UAP, or Unidentified Aerial Phenomena.

The pages of this book are filled with the first-hand testimonials of witnesses so credible, so respected in our society (air traffic controllers, 5 star generals, Pilots, etc) that I will go out on a limb and say th
Mack
Jan 03, 2012 Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right off out of the gate in the introduction Kean sets the tone for how the reader is to examine the presented material. She does so by setting out in in simple and clear terms exactly what informed skepticism is. There are few books that cover this topic with the proper, honest, serious tone that it deserves. Kean does her profession and this much maligned area of study credit by approaching it with skepticism, rationality and with the facts. I personally am very picky when it comes to purchas ...more
Benjamin Atkinson
As a skeptical fan of the mysteries of our Universe, I have found very little to get excited about on the actual fact front. Leslie Kean co-founder of the Coalition for Freedom of Information, investigative journalist, and author has taken a fresh approach to a field that has been horribly mishandled. There is no question, if you spend a little time digging, that there are completely legitimate "unidentified flying objects" that have four common characteristics:
1. They have been caught performin
Phil Penhallow
Jul 20, 2014 Phil Penhallow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read many books on UFO's throughout my life it was quite refreshing to read Leslie's. From the start you could tell this would be an honest account from someone who was initially sceptical about their existence yet found themselves increasingly drawn into the real world of UFO's where constant checking and verifying was needed to separate the "wheat from the chaff". The book brings in encounters from real incidents as told by the professionals who witnessed them, it also details the autho ...more
Kendra McMahan
May 19, 2016 Kendra McMahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, first off I would like to preface by saying that I have been an avid UFO/E.T. researcher since I was about 10-years-old…or whenever dial-up internet was born.

Good, glad that’s out of the way.

Having said all that, this book is a fantastic collection of solid sources sharing their accounts of the UFO phenomenon, regardless of how damaging it could be to their career.

Probably the biggest emphasis of this book, in a nutshell, is that when Project Blue Book was discontinued, the United States b
Colin Wright
Feb 02, 2014 Colin Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a skeptical UFO-agnostic, you won't be able to help but shout 'Hell yeah!' from time-to-time while reading this book.

I say this because the author has taking an admirably practical approach to the UFO phenomena, repeating over and over in different ways that we need to explore this further because we don't know what it is, or what it could mean. That's it.

She takes no stance on alien life or anything else; just that good science says there's more than enough evidence to indicate 5%-ish
Stan James
Feb 06, 2015 Stan James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It's probably accurate to say that most people think of UFOs--Unidentified Flying Objects--as being craft controlled by extraterrestrials. This is to say that few people think of UFOs as being quite literally what the acronym stands for, objects in the air that are unidentified. Since the modern UFO era began in the 1940s the subject has, especially in the U.S., been treated as one not worthy of serious study or investigation. Project Blue Book, the Air Force group tasked with checking out UFO r ...more
Roger
Mar 12, 2016 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for you if you are not convinced that UFOs are real, but you are curious enough to want an objective examination of the available evidence.

The book's authors, for the most part, avoid reaching conclusions about the extraterrestrial hypothesis and focus solely on presenting the evidence (conclusive type) that demonstrates only that: 1. UFOs are real, 2. That they manifest physically, 3. That the best evidence comes from trained military and commercial airline encounters, and 4. Many
Harvey Smith
Aug 19, 2014 Harvey Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this might be a interesting book, but little did I know that I would enjoy it so much. It really is a local, scientific look at the existence of unidentified flying objects. Notice I didn't say, life from other planets. That has yet to be determined.

But, then again, there are objects seen by very credible witnesses that are simply unexplained.

Our culture in the United States also has a cultural taboo about the subject of UFOs which is dealt with in the book: how it came about, why it p
Bryce Holt
The book is incredibly interesting and the stories within of govt. officials, military pilots and other high level, trustworthy sources are unbelievable. The place where this doesn't feel right is not in their statements, but instead in that of the author, who seems to get a bit heavy-handed in what she is pushing for (i.e., the U.S. government to become transparent in their UFO findings).

I think anyone who has any interest at all in this subject surely recognizes that the U.S. is untrustworthy
Link
Jun 13, 2016 Link rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unexplained
There are many sensational books describing UFO experiences but this book differs from them because Leslie Kean generally limited her eyewitnesses to credible people including police and military officers, high-ranking government staff, and elected officials. What is almost as interesting as the eyewitness accounts is her treatment of the psychology of UFO reporting, which has been so thoroughly stigmatized and ridiculed that many sources withhold their testimony because they do not wish to be p ...more
Sarah T.
I LOVE that I finished reading this book on National UFO Day, lol! I wouldn't have even known if an X-Files page on Facebook hadn't posted a meme about it today. :)

Anyway, I was drawn to it by the endorsement on the cover by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku that read, "This book is bound to set the gold standard for UFO research." I think he's right! This book would be a good first step for skeptics towards the question "is there extraterrestrial life?"

In spite of the topic, it's actually a pr
Matthew
I just had to read this. She makes a convincing case that the phenomenon that underlies UFO sighting should be taken seriously enough to be investigated. Rather dry reading, though, for all the firsthand accounts, though they are, by and large, from credible sources.
Dane Mamula
Sep 16, 2010 Dane Mamula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book on UFOs I've ever read...granted I haven't read many since I was a kid, but still, this is well worth your time. Objective to the point of restraint, eye-opening and just plain fascinating. I'm surprised this isn't garnering way more attention.
Julie Woodcock
It is unlikely that there is not something to the UFO question. The actual interviews were very interesting, but the writer's ongoing commentary was redundant and tedious and so it was a difficult read.
Ebblord
Jun 05, 2016 Ebblord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read half of the book last year and finished the rest a few days ago. It's a really good book to read if your interested in UFO's and also wonder why there is so much ridicule directed against those who say they've encountered one or more. I'd use the word sensible to describe this book as it seems very well researched and is mindful of how people react to this sometimes sensational topic.

Why I came to read it in two parts is because of the repetitiveness that unfortunately happens since the ac
Meghan
May 01, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is 95% surely going to change my life. I'm not kidding.
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • Wonders in the Sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern Times
  • Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up
  • Above Top Secret: The Worldwide UFO Cover-up
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
  • A.D. After Disclosure: The People's Guide to Life After Contact
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • The Real Men in Black: Evidence, Famous Cases & True Stories of These Mysterious Men & their Connection to UFO Phenomena
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs
  • Atlantis, Alien Visitation & Genetic Manipulation
  • The Mothman Prophecies
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • The Stargate Conspiracy

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second, it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident.” ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER” 0 likes
“Astrophysicist Bernard Haisch, former science editor for The Astrophysical Journal and The Journal of Scientific Exploration, defines a true skeptic as “one who practices the method of suspended judgment, engages in rational and dispassionate reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method, shows willingness to consider alternative explanations without prejudice based on prior beliefs, and who seeks out evidence and carefully scrutinizes its validity.” 0 likes