Start by marking “Up on Cloud Nine” as Want to Read:
Up on Cloud Nine

Up on Cloud Nine

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ian’s best friend, Stolly, is up on cloud nine. He’s in the hospital, unconscious, and hooked up to machines. The question Ian is trying to answer is: How did Stolly end up there?

In a way, Stolly’s always been on cloud nine, living life by his own rules and making those rules up as he goes along. His parents’ careers have them constantly rushing around, so Ian’s family ha
Published October 14th 2003 by Yearling (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Up on Cloud Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up on Cloud Nine

Veronica
Gabriel
Anne Fine is a strange author. This book and The Killjoy have absolutely no business coming from the same mind. This one is strangely sad yet uplifting at the same time, with sincere laughs all the way through. Much like The Last Days of Summer.

Felicity
This is a very unusual book about Stolly who has fallen out of a high window and is in intensive care in hospital. Ian who is Stolly's friend is by his bedside trying to work out if Stolly fell accidentally or tried to commit suicide.

This is an unusual book as it is about teenage boys and deals with various issues quite sensitively. It covers adoption, depression and parental neglect. I found it incredibly moving in places and feel that I understand boys a bit more for reading this. Anne Fine's
Alice
What a strange little book. Stolly- noted ‘eccentric’ and best friend of Ian- has fallen out of a top-floor window. Ian insists it must have been an accident, just like everything else in Stolly’s ten foot tall medical file. But as Ian spends his time by Stolly’s bed, he begins to write Stolly’s ‘sort of biography.’ In doing so, he starts to explore the reasons why just maybe Stolly might not have fallen at all.

There are some books that are grand, sweeping, worldly books. Then there are some boo
Stacey Hoffman
Up on Cloud Nine by Ann Fine is a bibliotherapy novel that addresses the issue of suicide. This book is appropriate for fifth grade students and older.

This book is about best friends Ian James and Stuart "Stolly" Oliver. Stolly's parents are not around much because his father is a busy lawyer and his mother works in the fashion business and is often on location. Ian's parents accept Stolly as part of their own family and take care of him when his own parents aren't around. Stolly has a quirky pe
Atziri
I just discovered Anne Fine's book and I am inspired by her ability to capture a serious topic (suicide) and present it in a way that is not exactly light, but gets the point across. She says of her work: "A lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises quite serious social issues," she admits. "Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny."

This story is about two friends, Ian and Stol.
Christina
Jul 16, 2010 Christina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christina by: bought at book sale
Overall, this book was good..The book was about how a boy's friend tries to commit suicide. This book is discusses through the eyes of the boy, his typical interactions with a suicial peer..The boy also describes how he feels about his friend being depressed and suicidal. He knows that his famiy and the suicidal friend's families are affected by the boy's attemps suicide on sevaral occasions.

One downfall of the book: Toward the end of the book, there is a suicidal incident, which lands the suic
Melanie
Stolly is in the hospital with many broken bones, bruises and cuts. He "fell" out of the highest window in his house. His best friend, Ian, is with him in the hospital. He's decided to write Stolly's biography. While writing about Stolly and all that has happened to him, Ian begins to realize that there is something off about Stolly's behavior. He has a unnatural fascination with death and how to accomplish it. As Ian looks back on their friendship together he notices that Stolly has had many ho ...more
Tanja
While quite funny, a really thought-provoking novel in so many ways, dealing with some tough issues, among them suicide. Stolly is one of his kind and most probably one of the most eccentric characters I have ever met so far; Ian a wonderful loyal and understanding friend; but who I was really drawn to, was Ian's mother, the way how she loves and cares for both boys and her practical outlook on life.
F
Anne Fine writes very well and I like her style. This was a very interesting book. Is it about a suicide attempt? Somehow, the narrator, Stolly's friend Ian who is sitting by his bedside, manages to persuade himself, the reader and the other characters in the story that it is not. I was left feeling quite puzzled.
Rosemary
Finally got hold of a copy of this and I did enjoy it. Stolly is unconscious in hospital having fallen or jumped from a window. His best friend Ian is there with Ian's parents, who have been like a second family to Stolly while his own parents have focused on their careers.

I loved that everybody was so appreciative of Stolly who is not a 'normal' child. I wondered if Ian would really be not at all jealous - maybe. I did wonder more seriously if the right thing was happening at the end. Stolly so
Neill Smith
Ian is at the hospital because Stolly has plummeted from a high window – he wonders how stupid you have to be to fall out of a top-floor window. As Ian ponders Stolly’s activities over his life he comes to wonder about the meaning of this accident.
Trisha
very well done story about struggling with your place in the world. Although some of it was tough (due to slang), I did love all the characters in the book.
Nick Cherry
Perfect book that you could use as a discussion book. This book keeps you guessing perfect for kids to predict what they think is going to happen next.
Philippa
I like how it all takes place whilst poor Stolly is unconscious gradually building up as to why he is the hospital bed.
Whitney Hallam
this book really teaches you what it is like to be differant to other people like stoll who jumps of a window...
Madeeha Maqbool
The best part of the book has to be the thickness of Stolly's hospital file.
Tracey
So far so good - didn't like it at first but you kind of get into it.
Jayne
Loved this book smiled all the way through.
Zoe
Amazing! I loved it. Very funny but serious too.
Janelle
it was interesting but confusing!
Menolly
This was beautiful.
Millie Lovekin
Millie Lovekin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Kehren Oxley
Kehren Oxley marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Stephenie Oxley
Stephenie Oxley marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
The Ultimate Teen...: Up On Cloud Nine - Anne Fine 6 14 Dec 09, 2012 12:19PM
  • Tribes
  • The Shell House
  • Millions
  • The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)
  • The Magic Summer
  • Night Flying
  • Gold
  • Tüskevár
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Traitor Game
  • The Dancing Bear
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Cold in Summer
  • King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised Autobiography
  • William the Outlaw (Just William, #7)
  • Blart: The Boy Who Didn't Want to Save the World
  • The Edge
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more
More about Anne Fine...
Madame Doubtfire The Tulip Touch Flour Babies The Diary of a Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #1) Bill's New Frock