Start by marking “The Amazing Bone” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,917 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Can Pearl, a pig, and her new friend, a small talking bone, outwit a band of robbers and a hungry fox?

The Amazing Bone is a 1976 New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of the Year and Outstanding Book of the Year, a 1977 Caldecott Honor Book, and a 1977 Boston Globe - Horn Book Awards Honor Book for Picture Books.
Published July 5th 2011 by Square Fish (first published September 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Bone

Miriam
Pearl, a young pig, is wandering around after school, daydreaming and enjoying nature, when she happens to meet... a bone. A friendly, talkative bone who has escaped from a grumpy witch and is looking for a better home. Pearl and the bone quickly make friends, but will friendship be enough to get them safely through the dangerous woods?
Ronyell
Bone

“The Amazing Bone” is another classic from William Steig and is also the most dramatic book due to the main character being put into peril in a number of cases. William Steig’s hand-drawn illustrations and his intense yet soothing storytelling makes this book an instant treat to enjoy.

“The Amazing Bone” sets the perfect storyline about the power of friendship and the dangers of the outside world to a child. William Steig dramatically tells how some strangers are dangerous to children by depictin
A.F.T.
This was an incredibly intense book, with guns and knives and terror. I wasn't expecting that at all. It was genius and amazing and beautiful though, and now officially one of my favorites.
Josiah
This is the kind of book that William Steig consistently creates better than almost anybody else. It's a picture book, yes, but it's built on a subtly intellectual foundation, and it's a completely told story, smoothly unfolding from beginning to end.

I can certainly see how The Amazing Bone would have received official attention from the Caldecott committee in 1977. The artwork in the book is some of William Steig's finest, coating the pages with rich color and a kind of life that seems to pra
J.M. Hushour
Kids books, like any kind of literature, can vary widely, but, let's face it, most of them are shit. Then, every once in a while you find one that is supremely challenging to everything that you thought possible in kids' literature and literature and general. Something that tears down assumptions of what is trope and what is not, something that breaks downs the very thin border between surrealism and children's literature, something that in its sheer lunacy transcends the hazy line separating hu ...more
Haley Elliston
I read this book for a "Gardening and Literature" class I took for my MA degree at the University of Maine. The class itself was really unique in that we discussed our readings while planting a labyrinth garden on University grounds. This particular book was part of our children's lit. reads, and was fun to explore as an adult reader. Ultimately, this story is a very typical fairy tale. It reads like a combination of the Grimm's Fairy Tale "The Singing Bone" and "Little Red Riding Hood" - the pi ...more
Mei-Ling
surprisingly violent...but "the seventies were a different time" according to Kricket :)
Clacie
This one we really liked. We'll definitely look for more stories by William Steig.
Dolly
Oct 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very strange story. We listened to it being narrated on audiocassette by John Lithgow as we followed along with the book, and with his amazing storytelling skills, we were transfixed by the story. After we listened to it, I read it again and realized that it really is a very strange tale. Overall, though, the illustrations are great, the story is entertaining and we really enjoyed the audio version of this book.
Snorkle
While I did enjoy looking at the bright and cheery (for the most part) pictures of this book, I was a little dismayed at this story line. It seemed awfully convenient the way things worked out, and it was terribly random. I'm not sure I'd recommend this book, it was slightly strange and a little bit weird.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Kirei
This book was kind of weird. I gave it three stars because my son seemed to enjoy it, but personally I felt it deserved only two.

A pig finds a talking bone. Robbers try to steal it from her--the illustration shows them with a gun to her head! Then a fox steals it and attempts to cook and eat the pig, but of course the pig and bone escape. The ending is nothing special.
Shannon
I'm a sucker for a well-dressed fox and a somewhat daft pig with rad facial expressions. The ending was great, and my kids liked comparing it to other examples of traditional literature.
Kristine Pratt
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't like this book very much. I honestly wanted to. Perhaps the fact that it was a bone that was talking kind of threw me off. Given a world where every animal is sentient, it feels too much like this bone isn't just a harmless animal bone, it's SOMEONE who is determined to continue to have a part in society regardless of um...life challenges?

I liked the attitude of the little girl - how much she loves life. I like how plucky she is, but wishing she'd fight harder
Linda Lipko
Move over Maurice Sendak, Steig could have shown you one or two things about how to frighten a child with the words and illustrations of his book!

Cute little Pink Pig Pearl wanders in the forest on an absolutely perfect day. Finding a talking bone, she is not frightened, but rather is amused and puts the bone in her purse to carry home.

Traveling home she comes upon three nasty mask wearing critters with guns and knives. One image shows the evil masked critter places the gun right next to Pearl's
Jill
All right, where do I start...

I first read this book in college when we had to read 40 Caldecott books as part of our children's lit class. Best assignment ever! I remember writing that this book might be scary to little kids.

What I did not remember was how incredibly wordy this book is. This is the story of Pearl, a little pig who finds a talking bone. When she is practically mugged by creepy guys with guns and masks, the bone scares them away. It is not so successful when a mean fox comes. He
Rodricucuz Vaughn

1. The genre : Traditional Literature

2. The Amazing Bone by William Steig is an adorable story about a pig named Pearl who finds several surprises on her journey home from school from a talking bone to robbers.

3. Critique

a. The Amazing Bone is a wonderful book , I loved not only reading this book but I loved the colorful illustrations in the book.

b. The Amazing Bone relates to children in my opinion by expressing the theme " grownups" at the beginning of the book. Right then children can rel
Stephanie
This book, which I think is most appropriately written for an audience of fourth grade or older, was a 1977 Caldecott Honor Book. The main character, Pearl, a piglet, dawdles on the way home from school, and after finding a magic bone, is caught by a fox. The fox threatens Pearl and the bone, then takes Pearl back to his house, intending to eat her for dinner! The bone saves the day, and Pearl takes the bone home where it earns a loving place among her family.
The beautiful pastel illustrations
Kelly
Title: The Amazing Bone

Author: William Steig

Recommended Ages or grades: Preschool - 7

The Amazing Bone is a story about a pig that finds a talking bone in the forest. She picks up the bone and takes the bone home with her. On her journey home, she encounters robbers that have pistols. They want her purse and the pig will not give them her purse because her bone is in her purse. So the bone pretends to be a snake and the robbers run off. Later, she encounters a sly fox that is not fooled by the bo
Elayna Gilbert
Pearl, a young pig, is wandering around after school, daydreaming and enjoying nature, when she happens to meet... a bone. A friendly, talkative bone who has escaped from a grumpy witch and is looking for a better home. This story is very cute and I enjoy the drawings. Although they are older looking, they are very into detail and the book even won an award. I would use this in my classroom for an activity with bones maybe or they can go on a scavenger hunt.
Rachel
This was an odd book. It reminded me of an early Grimm Brothers story in the way that it was a bit gruesome and scary, but as far as I know it was original. It won a 1977 Caldecott Honor award. Pearl is young pig returning from school on a beautiful spring day, when she decides to enjoy nature for awhile. She finds a talking bone under a tree doing the exact same thing. The bone can talk in multiple languages and can imitate any sound on earth. Pearl decides to take the bone home with her and on ...more
Kellie Deruwe
The Amazing Bone won the Caldecott Honor Medal in 1977 which I believe deserved the award for its originality and pastel illustrations. As I was reading the story I was in shock of how mature I felt the story and images were. I especially felt the page with guns and knives was a bit too much for young age children which is why I would not share this book with a child below third grade, possibly even fourth grade depending on how mature the kids are.
I do think this book would be a good opener wh
Claudia Bell
I do not like this book. Having a bone as a friend and companion is very weird. Even though I love good fairy tales, this book had some very creepy scenes in it. After having read the wonderful book "Dr. DeSoto" reading this book was very disappointing. I would not buy this book for my child.
Monique Clem
By: William Steig
Age group: P-7

I was not necessarily a fan of this book. It was just boring and so unrealistic. I don't know of anyone who would want a bone as an imaginary friend. But the story is of a pig that comes across a talking bone, she befriends the bone and it protects her. She comes across animals that want to eat her and at first the bone works then the pig encounters a fox and the bone can't scare him away so he takes her home to eat her. In the end the bone puts a s
Luann
I enjoyed this once I started thinking of it as a story along the lines of The Three Little Pigs or Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I wasn't sure I would have chosen this for a Caldecott Honor until I revisited the illustrations after reading the story. Steig really does capture Pearl's emotions in his illustrations. For most of the story she is happy and smiling, but in the illustration where Pearl is alone in a room in the fox's hideaway, her ears are down and her huge eyes look out at the rea ...more
Ellen Sullivan
I read this book to my almost 4 year old last night. I don't know where we got it and we had never read it before last night. I am not one to totally coddle kids, especially, when it comes to books, but this was not a good read for a bedtime story for a four year old. Pearl, gets held up by muggers in the woods with guns and then kidnapped by wolf who is sharpening a knife to kill her while she sobs. The amazing bone prevails in the end, but the book is pretty long for a 4 year old boy's attenti ...more
Tricia
Although a well written and illustrated book, I would need read this book to my children. The story has an odd story line; but, despite that, I find some of the pictures to scary for children.
Anna
I enjoyed this for the nostalgia of it. I remember reading it when I was much younger and really liking it. Steig puts some serious stuff in his kids books! It's surprising now.
Guen
Gives the message that the world is not safe and that a child cannot safely wander alone. It does not give the child any information on how to help him or herself if he/she does meet a stranger while alone. The pig in this story is rescued by magic. It is true that terrible things can happen to a child but I don't want to fill my child's head with the idea that the world is generally unsafe. I will work at keeping my children safe by helping them to learn personal safety skills.
Matthew
This book is weird and a little dark. My 5 year old brought it home from the library and as I was reading it, I couldn't help but think I shouldn't be, not at her age at least.

The young Pearl gets mugged by scary looking creatures wielding knives and guns, then gets kidnapped and almost eaten by a fox. There's a point in the book where she is sobbing and proclaiming she doesn't want to die. Too dark for a kindergartener in my opinion.

I also thought how she was rescued was a bit lame. The bone su
Mitchell
An okay story and all and certainly not like anything else. But I expect more from a Caldecott Honor book. And the main character abandoned books in the forest. And needed to get rescued. With okay art.
  • Tibet: Through the Red Box
  • The Rooster Crows: A Book of American Rhymes and Jingles
  • Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888
  • Umbrella
  • It Could Always Be Worse: A Yiddish Folk Tale
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Doctor De Soto Shrek! Brave Irene (Sunburst Books) Abel's Island

“Later she sat on the ground in the forest between school and home, and spring was so bright and beautiful, the warm air touched her so tenderly, she could almost feel herself changing into a flower. Her light dress felt like petals.
"I love everything," she heard herself say.
"So do I," a voice answered.
Pearl straightened up and looked around. No one was there.”
11 likes