Broken on the Back Row: A Journey Through Grace and Forgiveness

Broken on the Back Row: A Journey Through Grace and Forgiveness

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The heart of a mom is wrapped up in the people she loves -- her children, her husband, her co-workers, her friends. She wants to give them the very best of herself, but sometimes her busy schedule gets in the way of the most precious gift she can give them -- her prayers.

With this unique tried-and-proven prayer system, even the busiest moms can have a rich prayer life th...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Howard Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Broken on the Back Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken on the Back Row

Ebookwormy
I read this book because I was angry. Sandi Patty was my first exposure to Christian music outside of church, and I was captivated by the contemporary expression of worship. I was young and encouraged. I would listen to the cassettes (yes, cassettes!) I had over and over and over again.

Then, I heard about her divorce. Then, her adulterous affair and marriage to a man who also dissolved his union to be with her and establish a blended family. I felt betrayed. I had held on to her music and messa...more
Ella
This book is so touching. It shows the path of forgiveness from the perspective of a person who was scrutinized in the public eye and the media. This book shows you that the path to forgiveness is not an easy road to pave and you must learn to walk hand-in-hand with God the Almighty Savior and Friend and Father. Sandi tells this story from the bottom of her heart.
Susan
What a testimony of God's grace and forgiveness. None of us are immune from a fall.
Hannah Mae
It was a Christian radio show (which featured Sandi Patty's life and music) that introduced me to this book. I was deeply moved and inspired when I heard parts of it, read during the show. I knew then that I had to read the book completely.

From her mostly fun childhood, early musical performances with her family, and the ascent of her career (from being a single lady to a married woman), the extremely tough times when she made a lot of impulsive decisions that caused her to fall and sin, and she...more
This was a great book. You can feel her sorrow of recovering and repairing her family from adultery and public apologies. I find it ironic that many Christian stations won't play her music but yet find nothing wrong regarding Amy Grant's divorce and remarriage, priorities mixed up?? Very good book in God's Grace and Forgiveness as well as healing through God.
Joy Gerbode
This was not a book I would have picked up ... but was our book club read for the month, so I dutifully began to skim through it. Just a few pages in, I was already wiping tears from my face, and feeling a refreshment of God's grace in my own life. I was thoroughly blessed by the book!
Ms.
I so deeply appreciate the honesty of a woman I have such deep respect for. Her story is familiar in that we all mess up and have to reconcile our poor choices alongside the blessings and gifts of our faith. Well worth a read as her music is well worth a listen!
Vicki
nobody's perfect!
Laren
If you are looking for lurid details about the affair that broke up the author's first marriage, you will be greatly disappointed. This is a study in which she seeks forgiveness from God, from her parish, and from her fans. Being Catholic, this Protestant journey was rather alien to me, and frankly it seems a lot more difficult to gain forgiveness outside of Catholicism! I have the impression that this was written in part to make a sort of apology to her fans, and in part to iterate that God doe...more
Lana Jackson
From beginning to end, I found this story filled with the Grace of God. So much so that I didn't want to put it down.

I liked that Sandi respected her first husband by including none of the specific details of their break-up, but instead included details of things she learned about a wounded heart during her counseling experiences. I also liked the inclusion of her Pastor's suggestions for restoring a person to wholeness.
Dionne
"Sandi Patty was a woman who sought after God with her whole heart, who loved her family and her friends. And when she got the chance, she sang about it."

Sandi Patty was one of my favorite Christian artists when I was a teenager. Her book was an amazing story about forgiveness, grace and second chances. Sandi is honest and real about her life. I found it to be very inspirational.
Lynn Randall
Sandi Patty has long been my favorite singer and reading the many stories of her life and how she realized that even when most of the world walked out on her God drew her closer to Him.
Kathy
She still has one of the most gorgeous voices ever. I'm glad the Christian community has finally forgiven her, and she is no longer "black-balled" by the radio stations.
Diana Hays
Real life, real Christianity.
Dawn Smith
Dawn Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Debbie Conville
Debbie Conville marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kristy Hoffman
Kristy Hoffman marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Candy
Candy added it
Mar 09, 2014
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
FROM BOOK:
Sandi Patty is the most awarded Christian female vocalist in contemporary Christian music history, with 39 Dove Awards, 5 Grammy Awards, and 4 Billboard Music Awards. Her 23 albums have sold more than 11 million units, including 3 platinum and 5 gold recordings. She has regularly appeared on network television. In 2004, Sandi was inducted into the Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame.
More about Sandi Patty...
The Edge of the Divine: Where Possibility Meets God's Faithfulness Falling Forward: Into His Arms of Grace Layers: Uncovering and Celebrating God's Original Idea of Me Broken on the Back Row Life in the Blender: Blending Families, Lives, and Relationships with Grace