Start by marking “Writing to God: 40 Days of Praying with My Pen” as Want to Read:
Writing to God: 40 Days of Praying with My Pen

Writing to God: 40 Days of Praying with My Pen

Writing to God is a Lenten devotional tool, providing forty-seven insightful prayers for personal reflection and an equal number of scripturally-based writing prompts to guide readers/writers in their own praying. Each prayer draws its readers into a moment of meditation, even as it sets an example for the accompanying prompt. Paired together, these prayers and writing pro ...more
Published March 9th 2011 by Paraclete Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing to God

Martha
Apr 03, 2013 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Rachel Hackenberg has a gift for bringing prayers out of the heart and onto the page. As a Lenten practice, the daily exercises inspired, challenged and comforted me. The book is also lovely to handle. I'm grateful for it.
Suzanne
Nov 05, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is not a book to read but to use. If you have difficulty praying but have no problem moving your pen across the paper then this book is for you. Every day for 40 days you will be presented with a writing prompt and a beautiful example of a written prayer. It's a great book to invigorate your praying life!
Tammy Boyd
May 29, 2014 Tammy Boyd marked it as to-read
I just started the book today for Ash Wednesday and after the first poem and prompt, the prayer that came out of me was unexpected and, I feel, truly Spirit-led. It was a gift to be led into prayer so gently and gracefully.
I blogged the first prayer, it effected me that deeply.

Debbie Wilson
Sep 20, 2012 Debbie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Inspiration and the chance to be creative, another road to wholeness and health...something I wish for all of my friends!
Dawn
Apr 07, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing
If you have ever felt unfocused in your prayer life or like you needed a spiritual retreat at home then a 40 day journey with Writing to God -40 Days of Praying With My Pen might be just the path to help.
Each day offers a scripture to read, a point of entry via a specific short but effective prayer prompt as well as a sample writing by the author with a one line focus for consideration, such as "God plays a hand in every part of our stories.", "God will refresh your spirit.", and "God will be yo
Traci
Jun 14, 2013 Traci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Totally and completely rocked by prayer world; gave me a new way to read scripture and pray-always bonus. I also did not do the 40 days straight as I was in the middle of surgery recovery and a marriage crisis; I did it once or twice a week; so it has taken me a couple of months to get through it. I thought at the start I would hate the prompts; but they really did jump start and give a new direction for prayer. I loved that there were times to write cries of the heart and ...more
Aneta
May 30, 2016 Aneta rated it it was amazing
Planning to use this book for Lent this year. update: I didn't finish this book in 40 days, but used it every now and then, sometimes days in a row, sometimes weeks apart. Each time, I was glad I did. Taught me to pray in a different way and to use my imagination as well. Prayers written down are those you can go back to and remember and even pray again. I will continue to 'pray with my pen'.
John
Jan 17, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Excellent aid to starting to journal. I was already journaling when I read this book, but Rachel gave me some fresh ideas. Each day had a different exercise to help develop your journaling skills. Excellent companion book for a Lenten journey!
Sue D'angelo
Nov 22, 2014 Sue D'angelo rated it really liked it
I read this book as a daily devotional during lent. It really helped me focus and have a very meaningful worship experience. I wrote my prayers in a blank book which I intend to use again next year.
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Sara Burt
Sara Burt rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Jacquelin
Jacquelin rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Megan Wynne
Megan Wynne rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Jamiesmilz
Jamiesmilz rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Barbara Marincel
Barbara Marincel rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Cathy Tibbetts
Cathy Tibbetts rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Pam Russell
Pam Russell rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2013
Cathy D
Cathy D rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Catherine H Perrou
Catherine H Perrou rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Jbradley
Jbradley rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Lianne
Lianne rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Sara Anne
Sara Anne rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
kristen
kristen rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Iyabo Onipede
Iyabo Onipede rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Sarah Sonoda
Sarah Sonoda rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Angi Solley
Angi Solley rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014