Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor

Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Growing up in Mexico, Marcela Valladolid rejoiced in the complex moles, dozens of different chiles, and homemade tortillas that graced her family’s dinner table. Going to school across the border in San Diego, and later to cooking school in Paris, she found plenty to love in the markets, quickly folding new ingredients into her repertoire. She also encountered some curious...more
Published October 13th 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published August 25th 2009)

Megan
Best cookbook ever. And it's not even for vegetarians!!! Seriously though, every single recipe turned out amazingly good. Although I loved everything I have made from this book so far, my favorites are:

Butternut Squash & Chipotle Bisque
Grilled Corn and Poblano Potato Salad
Torta de Elote (Soft Corn Bread)
Creamed Rajas
Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa

mmmm.... my mouth is watering just thinking of all the good food :) There is an entire entree section which I avoided (considering it is meat filled...more
Ilene
I enjoyed this cookbook more than I thought I would. The author, a Mexican native has brought authentic Mexican cooking into today's hurried eclectic kitchen. Her recipes are easy to follow and include interesting side notes. She does not use ingredients that are hard to find which is a bonus. Though I borrowed this book from the library it might be one that will end up on my home library shelves at some point. In the meantime I am already planning a few menus based on her recipes. Bon appetit!
Shawn
I read the Spanish language version of this book to practice reading in Spanish and it was a good book for that. Of course I enjoyed the recipes too. I don't know if the title of this book should include the words "simple recipes" I pride myself as someone who cooks from scratch and even I thought some of these recipes were too much. Marcela is adorable and the pictures and layout in the book are great. There are several recipes in the book that I am really looking forward to making.
Heydi Smith
I love this show, love the cook, but surprisingly didn't care for the recipes in this book. Many of them contained seafood which is great if you have economical access to it. It's a beautiful. The recipes in this book look great and knowing her skills I'm sure they are but I'm going to hold out hope that her other book will have recipes my family can actually enjoy.
Scottsdale Public Library
I absolutely adore this book. The recipes are simple, approachable and, most importantly, offer a truly fresh, healthy and authentic approach to modern Mexican cuisine. Classic dishes (chiles rellenos, pastel de tres leches) are mixed with new updates. Photography is copious and gorgeous. This cook book is fun, fresh and comprehensive.

-- Meagan
Robert
The only problem with checking books (especially cook books) out from the library is that you must return them all too soon. Such is the case with this splendid collection of recipes. There is a whole section devoted to salsa. I really want to add this one to my personal library collection.
Carol Ballantyne
This is the best Mexican cookbook and the rice pudding is better than all the rice pudding recipes I have. I threw the others away. I make this all the time. It is the same recipe from the women who cook for us when we are in Costa Rica. Delicious!!
Billie
Made "Poblano Rice Gratin" today, very good. Look forward to trying more recipes since I'm on a Mexican food kick. I've been looking forward to her new show Mexican Made Easy on the Food Network for weeks. So far I love it and her cookbook. Bravo, Marcela!
Jessica
Says on the front "100 simple recipes for True Mexican Flavor" Aw come on Duck burrito and bean and octopus salad. Really? I like the first recipe and the rest like avocado egg rolls with chile-prune sauce. YUCK!
Heather
I plan on making the poblano rice gratin but that was about all that really caught my attention.
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 18, 2014
Sandy
Sandy added it
Jun 03, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Marci
Marci marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Deborah Flora-cooper
Deborah Flora-cooper marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Karoletha Stone
Karoletha Stone marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014